PDA

View Full Version : Checkable background

speedbird_heavy
22nd Nov 2004, 13:15
Quick question, I have been out of work for 3 months now looking after my son. Come the new year he will be starting nursery which means that I am able to return to work. What I need to know is, because of this break in employment, will this cause problems with an airside pass and the disclosure system?

flyingdwarf
22nd Nov 2004, 13:26
Shouldn't really cause any problem. I have been through the same process a couple of times recently (actually am in the middle of it again). Obviously tracking peoples whereabouts and what you have been up to is important, but I understand your concern about having an 'empty' period in your employment history. I have had many such periods recently, but all you require is for a personal referee to confirm where you were during any gap periods. This does not affect the disclosure scotland process (as this is purely done using personal details such as name, address etc), but will be something your next employer will need confirmation of to provide the airside pass issuing authority with. Simply, as long as you know someone, who will incidentally have had to have known you for 5 years+, they will be able to provide written confirmation to backup your application.

The only thing you should be aware of is that it is a time consuming process, and many potential employers will expect you to have most if not all the reference information available on application for the job, to prevent unnecessary delays. So basically it is in your interest to think where you have been the last 5 years and have referees prepared to cover said period.

Good luck

FD

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2004, 14:14
Looking on the bright side, you can disguise "out of work" with "elected to spend time at home looking after my son", which sounds so much better on your CV.

G

Mr @ Spotty M
22nd Nov 2004, 16:12
If you have signed on, you will have continuous employment.

speedbird_heavy
22nd Nov 2004, 16:37
Come to think of it, it does sound better to have that on my CV. Anyhow, I tried to sign on but was refused because my wife earns too much money for their liking.

Thanks for the info flyingdwarf....

flyingdwarf
22nd Nov 2004, 18:54
no problem speedbird. I knew that this seemingly never ending search for my first flying job would have some benefit. Still, thats all behind me at last. Nice to be able to repay with some advice of my own.

Good luck, and hope your son is OK.

FD

AH64 APACHE
29th Nov 2004, 17:29
It also seems to change dependant which airline is getting the refs as some accept the personal referee to cover a lot of time and some also need actual references from the company mentioned even if they no longer exist.