PDA

View Full Version : Team Resource Management

VectorLine
21st Nov 2004, 20:57
NATS have just got this going. Mostly for LACC at the mo...
Anyone done it yet? What's it like?

Are other countries still doing it? Believe it was introduced by Eurocontrol nearly 10 years ago.

cheers
VL

Jerricho
21st Nov 2004, 21:07
Is this where management walk around and try to hug the workers to make them feel valued? Then run off to meetings about how they can screw them.

Oh, so cynical I know.

rej
21st Nov 2004, 21:11
I was on the RAF ATC TRM Course No 2 about 3 years ago. There was some good aspects to the course although it would have benefited from a few more case studies and practical exercises. All in all, very much a step in the right direction. Hope all ATC providers stick with it and involve as many people as possible. We all have a responsibility as well as a voice in TRM; we still hear of ATC incidents that could be avoided by someone breaking the chain of events.

Keep the forward momentum going guys.

rej

Jerricho

Is this where management walk around and try to hug the workers to make them feel valued? Then run off to meetings about how they can screw them.

Oh, so cynical I know.

I was obviously typing mine up while you got in fast. A course is only as good as its design and delivery. In this ever increasing tree-/team-hugging society we live in it is all too easy to be cynical. I should know, they don\'t come much more cynical than me !!

However, I would much rather see this type of material taught to all that just a few selected Sepervisors etc.

Lon More
22nd Nov 2004, 12:54
For background info on how it was supposed to go at Eurocontrol
http://www.eurocontrol.int/dgs/publications/skyway/1998/v3n10/p20.html
Or this, more up to date
http://www.eurocontrol.int/humanfactors_backup/trm.html
this has some links to other Docs..

Lon More; here before Pontius was a Pilot or Mortus a Rigger

Ahh-40612
22nd Nov 2004, 20:47
Anyone remember the tree-hugging at the end of the Nerc Training course just prior to opening Swanwick?

Huge expense - total tosh from outside company with little or no knowledge of ATC operations.

Co-incided with the insulting letter instructing us not to upset the staff already in situ at Swanwick!!

I presume another outside company is profiting by running these courses.

Already work in a great team - get to the end of a shift - no one died- great teamwork.

DirtyPierre
22nd Nov 2004, 21:30
Jerricho,

You might not have been around when we did TRM type courses at Brisbane Centre. We did them between 1999 and 2001, and were called Team Leader Module 3 training as part of the Team Leader and team training courses.

It was all about the "team" working well together. It included an exercise to put a wooden "car" together, race it around a course and then dismantle it as fast as possible. Quite a few teams spent some time trying to beat the record.

Of course, our current 70's type management have got rid of teams (Dr. Ratner would be turning in his grave) and we no longer do TRM type courses.

Jerricho
22nd Nov 2004, 22:10
DP, I left in '98, so I missed that one. Although, I have heard about it from certain family members.

Little One
23rd Nov 2004, 01:01
Did our version of TRM a month ago and thought it was a brilliant course. But you will get more out of it if you are willing to participate in the debates etc as oposed to the attitude of I'm here now teach me something. Our Problem is that none of our senior management have done the course so they not going to come give us hugs.

But do think it was defenitly a worthwile course

Exel
23rd Nov 2004, 15:54
"But do think it was defenitly a worthwhile course"

NATS must think so as well seeing as they've allegedly spent £8 Million on it !!!! ........Maybe it's time to invest in a few Marriott shares ?

Yet to do mine, but am keeping an open mind.

floydie
23rd Nov 2004, 19:53
8 million sounds like a lot doesn't it? Then again 8 million on a 4 year project of which 7 million is budgetted for resources that would be spent anyway ( salary etc.) leaves 1 mil which means 250,000.- a year on a training budget of 53 million a year. Not too much if you ask me. It's about time they start investing in peoiple instead of crap equipment if you ask me (which nobody did but I tell you anyway)