View Full Version : Advice please...

FLAPS20
5th Feb 2001, 17:45
Not strictly an ATC issue, but here goes...

A photographer friend of mine has been commissioned to shoot an ATC radar display. Obviously, its hardly practical to take over an active ATSU for the two or three hours it might take, so the question is this:

Are their any ATC training centres you know of that might be able to spare the time and the equipment? Alternatively, do you know of any manufacturers that operate equipment 'demos' who would be willing to help?

I know this is slightly outside the normal Pprune/ ATC topic for debate, so to save starting what some might look on as an irrelevant thread, feel free to e-mail me direct.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Feb 2001, 18:37
Instead of trying here why not save time and go direct to whichever ATC unit he wants to film? I'm sure you'll have no problems. There are spare "live" radar positions at LATCC and probably at every other major ATC unit and I have seen countless film crews doing exactly what you propose, both at LATCC and Heathrow.

RogerOut
5th Feb 2001, 19:06
Alternatively instead of taking over a "live" display, your friend can sit quite happily in front of a simulator, which can even be loaded with an ATC run used to train ATCOs..... I'm not sure if it's the screen picture your friend is after, or the whole shebang i.e. strip boards, phones, maps etc - most simulators I've seen (Latcc, Scoacc, College) all fairly realistic for the purpose in mind.

------------------
RogerOut
I Keep Mine Hidden

FLAPS20
6th Feb 2001, 16:38
Thanks everyone for your help. ATC training centre in Bournemouth have now kindly agreed to make a simulator available tomorrow morning