View Full Version : reporting level

lekkerste
4th Dec 2000, 01:08
Can someone please tell me if there is a requirement to report reaching your final cruising level when in UK airspace. Obviously when you change frequency you report your level, but having checked your mode c read out when climbing out of, for example, Heathrow, it seems to be a bit needless to clutter up the rt with a 'reaching' report.

Do you controllers out there need it, or is it an irritant? A reference for any requirement, or not, would be much appreciated. Any US controllers also care to comment?

Asda
4th Dec 2000, 03:09
An interesting point. As an area controller dealing with flights from Heathrow, for example, I'm not aware of any requirement to report reaching cruising level. Personally I don't have a problem with it if I'm not busy. You're quite right to say that it can clutter up a busy frequency and would most probably be considered unnecessary. I notice that you refer to reaching 'cruising' level. It probably is good practice to report reaching an intermediate level that you've been cleared to when you're looking for higher, we want to give you as continuous a climb/descent as we can. Again though, common sense should prevail, if you hear an extremely busy controller, he's probably getting to you shortly so don't hassle - and if you've been told to standby or maintain once there's a good reason, wait. Just to balance it the other way though, I am only human and there have been times when a reminder has been welcome. ;)

250 kts
4th Dec 2000, 14:37
Not that bothered but nice to get a report if you've been asked to expedite and that you're through the FL I needed you out of.

static
4th Dec 2000, 19:27
In the US, you are only required to report vacating your last cleared level. Not reaching it.
In Maastricht area, you are not required to call reaching, however my company advices to do so anyway, and usually you just get a "thank you".
In France you are not supposed to report your level when checking in on a new freq.

viva77
5th Dec 2000, 00:24
An interesting thread. If someone wants to know badly enough, they will add "report reaching" to a climb or descent clearance. This is most likely if you are in a hold, and probably worth reporting level anyway in that situation. Don't assume that, even in the UK, all airports have a seviceable SSR though.
What I would like to know though- why so many variations from country to country?

dawgweed
5th Dec 2000, 01:46
From Canadian ATC MANOPS

437.2 A. Note:
Pilots of IFR and CVFR flights are required to report when leaving or reaching an assigned altitude.

437.2 A. Reference:
Altitude Reports; RAC 8.3, A.I.P. Canada.

Postman Pat
5th Dec 2000, 14:19
Viva 77 makes an interesting point about reporting level in a hold. Going back to my airfield days (yes I have been there!!) the request was to report leaving a level in the hold as the bible says that once an a/c reports leaving a level (if standard separation exists and will exist etc) then the next one up can be cleared down. It is a remarkably efficient way of ensuring that the first a/c has actually left the level he says that he has left!!

Under normal circumstances the only time I would like to know when an a/c has reached a level in the hold is if there is turbulence and the second a/c is not going to be cleard down until the first a/c is at the level.

I have also found this useful when running a hold in area control!!

PP