PDA

View Full Version : Recording movements

EGBKFLYER
20th Nov 2004, 13:49
Can anyone in the know point me at any relevant CAA etc documents that cover the recording of movements at licensed airfields? Basically need to know if it's a legal requirement and what form/ how long/ by whom they should be kept.

Many thanks

Spitoon
20th Nov 2004, 21:32
Interesting question - one of things that everyone does but it doesn't look like there's any law to say you have to. The closest you'll get is Rule 20. I guess the reason that airports keep far more is commercial - for billing people.

EGBKFLYER
21st Nov 2004, 18:13
Thanks - I ask because one airfield I work at has a number of private owners who won't always book in and out. As the field is A/G and the radio isn't always manned, movements maybe missed. We're trying to decide how to plug various holes at present and will obviously prioritise legal requirements first...

21st Nov 2004, 19:42
I sympathise with the problem.
Perhaps your first course of action should be to discuss this with the airfield authority/owner to find out exactly what set of rules are in force.
1. How do you know someone isn't stealing a plane?
2. How does the pilot know any essential airfield information?
3. What about terrorism/smuggling?
......the list goes on.......and if you are ever visited by the Authorities they may take a dim view of such lax or non-existent record-keeping, but I repeat .....go to the airfield authority first...
...there may be an alternate method of movement notification.

EGBKFLYER
21st Nov 2004, 21:09
055166K - thanks for the advice - the issues you list are exactly what we're worried about. Current arrangements are fairly lax and I was asking the question on behalf of the airfield licensee, who has recently taken over operations at the field.

Really, I was hoping to find something in black and white that we could quote to those folks who don't see the point of filling in a line on a bit of paper before they go flying - maybe we'll have to convince/ cajole another way...

22nd Nov 2004, 13:51
Politeness always pays. A gentle letter to all base users could be the first step, and a change in the "Authority" will be sufficient excuse to clarify the regime under which the airfield will now be run.
I don't for one minute expect you to do this [what follows that is], but it reminds me of a situation I had in Scotland at a remote location. The airfield was PPR, however one chap used to fly in with his Beech Baron complete with dogs etc. on shooting trips; I'd walk over to my little tower and think Hello Hello...where did he come from.....anyway, on one occassion, during the next day a storm force wind blew up, and to protect the plane we parked a Fire Engine in front of it and tied it down [the plane that is]....next evening irate pilot phones me at home threatening all kinds of retribution if I didn't move the Tender......maximum diplomacy and polite chat worked a treat...no more problem thereafter. He'd merely misunderstood the out-of-hours procedure.
An airfield close to Southampton has no ATC/AFISO/AG, nevertheless the Operator requires each and every pilot to record flight details/POB/endurance/ETA back at base [if returning] in a centrally located self-briefing room; common sense would dictate that this is a valuable safety feature if nothing else!
Good Luck.

EGBKFLYER
26th Nov 2004, 05:52
Thanks for the advice. I like the self-briefing room idea. Something we may try...

2 sheds
26th Nov 2004, 15:27
EGBK

We are getting away from the point of your question and your subsequent amplification. Spitoon is spot on - Rule 20 para (2) of the Rules of the Air (the law of the land) puts the responsibility on the aircraft operator. However, you obviously have to be reasonable and provide facilities for such notification if, for example, the A/G radio is not manned all the time. An available telephone or Booking In/Out document in a briefing office would be reasonable.

The only way to discover what the precise requirements are for keeping movement records is not via PPrune but to consult CAA SRG Aerodrome Standards Department. I believe - repeat believe - that HM Customs and the Police might have some requirements/input on this subject for some of the very reasons highlighted above.

2 s