PDA

View Full Version : Live ATC

Flying Fokker
19th Nov 2004, 15:38
Just a quick question about live ATC. Is it live or is there some delay? How live is it?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Nov 2004, 16:17
Not sure what you mean?? When I was doing it the question most people asked was: "Is he dead?"

Flying Fokker
19th Nov 2004, 17:04
What i mean is, is it live or is there some delay by a minute or an hour etc etc

HiSpeedTape
19th Nov 2004, 17:10
Duhh? What's he on about?

expedite_climb
19th Nov 2004, 17:15
Flying Fokker - have you been drinking ? Imagine the scenario......

ATC: XXX123, avoiding action, turn right now heading 180, climb flight level 80....

Bang as the aircraft crash due to a one minute delay on ATC......

I think it might be live somehow - why would you want a delay....

ps. I suppose if you count some of the controllers where they sound like they are in a bucket with an echo, you might count the delay as an echo ?

PPRuNe Radar
19th Nov 2004, 17:18
I suspect he's talking about the 'live' ATC websites which broadcast transmissions (primarily US facilities).

No idea if they have a delay built in though. And surprised the paranoid TSA haven't closed them down yet !!!

StillDark&Hungry
19th Nov 2004, 17:30
FF

Been a while since I last visited one of the websites I presume you're talking about - but when I did, a time check gave an approximate 20 minute delay.
Probably to ensure that most, if not all, aircraft would be on a different frequency by the time they went "live"

Scott Voigt
19th Nov 2004, 17:31
If you are talking about the stuff that you listen to on the internet via scanner, then that is live. For regular ATC most of it is indeed real time. The only stuff that may not be completely real time is some oceanic operations where you have to go through a relay of some sort...

regards

Scott H. Voigt
NATCA Southwest Region
Safety Dweeb

Flying Fokker
19th Nov 2004, 17:39
No i aint been drinking what im trying to get at is live atc on the internet just wondering if there was a delay :\ im not on about scanners

rodan
19th Nov 2004, 20:12
To be fair, you weren't at all clear about what you meant.

expedite_climb
19th Nov 2004, 23:02
ahhhhhh all becomes clear.

Clear as mud...:cool:

I would expect there to be a slight delay due to processing time yes ......