PDA

View Full Version : Microlight Operations

Sir Vaylance Radar
30th Sep 2001, 11:54
Does anyone have info on recommended spacing for wake vortex between microlights & anything else ? UK MATS pt.1 only covers down to "light" category which doesn't seem adequate to me.
I have a sneaky feeling this is in the SRG "too difficult to bother with today " category - like VFR at night for military aircraft ?!

NudgingSteel
1st Oct 2001, 02:57
Interesting point! Any microlight pilots able to comment on vortex behind other aircraft (even light a/c)?

I personally allow an extra mile or so when vectoring microlights into the sequence behind 757s...

Hooligan Bill
1st Oct 2001, 18:48
It may be worth looking at some ICAO documents. I know that they actually have a recommended vortex wake spacing between lights. Despite a number of documented incidents between a/c in this category, the UK has not adopted this recommendation.

[ 01 October 2001: Message edited by: Hooligan Bill ]

White Shadow
1st Oct 2001, 23:05
Where are these microlights flying line-astern with 757s, then?

Generally, microlight pilots are good at looking after their tender pink skins, so if you should ever give them a spacing they don't like, they'll probably refuse it, politely.

To you lads and lasses I talk to from time to time, thanks for your common-sense and understanding...

WS

Sir Vaylance Radar
2nd Oct 2001, 02:14
@ White Shadow
Never mind 757's - if u stand on the grassy bank overlooking the main runway at Prestwick, you might see the 2 Shadows (?) based there dodging 747's, An12's & the occasional Jaguar ;-))

surface wind
2nd Oct 2001, 13:32
Personally from my own experience I try to weld them on to the front of B757 or end up telling them to **** off.

Surface Wind :D :D

Dan Dare
2nd Oct 2001, 18:26
Surface wind,

Not been on a customer awareness course then? What makes a microlight any less worthy than a B757?

Please everybody read David Ogilvy's article in Transmit (the usually worthless GATCO rag). Microlight pilots have feelings too...

As for vortex, I think that a bit of common sense has to apply. No microlight pilot would fly too close to a heavy Light category aircraft and any separation standard can be incresed if we feel the urge.

Sir Vaylance Radar
2nd Oct 2001, 20:43
@ Dan
"As for vortex, I think that a bit of common sense has to apply. No microlight pilot would fly too close to a heavy"

1) If a micro could move fast enough to get out of the way of a biggie, I'd agree, but this might not always be possible
2) I think you've proved the point I'm trying to make - why should you have to use common sense to sort it out - is this not a function of SRG, to determine what should be used ?
3) The recommended spacing for a light behind a heavy is 8 miles - it'd need fine judgement to work out even greater distances from a micro cockpit , I suggest !

NextLeftAndCallGround
2nd Oct 2001, 21:35
So Sir V, if a microlight pilot can't tell what 8 miles looks like what's the point of stipulating greater distances? You, the controller, don't have to make the decision anyway - or do you have lots of IFR microlights flying around your area?

Sir Vaylance Radar
3rd Oct 2001, 00:04
NL&CG
You're quite right - there's not much point in giving greater distances - but then IMHO there's not much point in "recommended" spacing for VFR's anyway - the military ignore the civil figures & I suspect a lot of GA pilots would admit that working out 8 miles, for example, is not what you want to be doing when setting up for finals.
Incidentally, if a tower controller sees a light a/c turn onto finals only 3 miles behind a heavy, do you think he should do anything about it ?

[ 02 October 2001: Message edited by: Sir Vaylance Radar ]

gul dukat
3rd Oct 2001, 02:44
Hey Dan! I think if you knew surface wind you would realise that microlights DO mix it with heavier stuff like b757's but then thats the joy of cat e airspace and what was then a crappy primary radar ...good job the pilot was looking out the window ...."err we got lots of ridge tents with lawnmower engines in our 12 o' clock "!! good job sw ... :D :D :D

surface wind
3rd Oct 2001, 14:11
Dan

gul dukat was correct. You misunderstood my comment but I DID try and weld a microlight to the front of a 757 without the use of welding gear. Just as well he was Canadian. Probably used to it!! Don't you just love class e airspace in a busy TMA.

P.S I do ocassionally (due to previous experience) tell them to **** off!!!

:D :D