View Full Version : Squawk what??

Luftwaffle
29th Jan 2001, 08:06
This evening I was assigned a squawk code ending in eight. I read it back without thinking, then it dawned on me.
"Uh ... tower, transponders don't go up to eight"
Long pause, then a new transponder code. Ending in nine.

Bright-Ling
29th Jan 2001, 18:36
Yep - but I betted you attempted to dial it up!!!!!

Skippy_Approach
29th Jan 2001, 19:47
Even better.......

I know a controller who did a very similar thing, issuing a squawk ending in an "8" on a check out, then sat there for a minute, trying to work out why the pilot and OJTI were lauging so hard!

Gonzo
30th Jan 2001, 04:59
LOL, anyone I know Skippy App????

Gonzo

Luftwaffle
30th Jan 2001, 05:36
Almost, Bright-Ling, I had the first two digits in before it clicked.

After he gave me the one ending in nine I considered reading it back as a different code, beginning in seven, but my understanding is that whether I say that or squawk it you have to treat it as if I mean it.

I was about to say I couldn't think of any safe, legal way to get my own back ... but I just thought of one. Shhh. :)

passepartout
30th Jan 2001, 07:50
Once gave a pilot the QNH as his squawk, then bollocked him when he got airborne and it didnt convert!....If your out there I,m so sorry

jjj
30th Jan 2001, 17:06
Australia's wonderful :) TAAATS system has the 4 digit squawk code directly above the 4 digit departure time in the electronic strip. Almost every controller I know (me included) has asked an aircraft to squawk there departure time.

[This message has been edited by jjj (edited 30 January 2001).]

375ml
31st Jan 2001, 05:06
jjj, so true..

"ABC squawk 130... hang on that's your ATD, make that squawk 03.."

more than once

karrank
3rd Feb 2001, 09:12
;)jjj & 375 ml, I've done it too. Lucky they can't depart at 7500.

Once told a bug-smasher "No traffic,QNH 1018", he said "Roger, changing 1018". Didn't hear from him again.....

------------------
"Station calling Centre, grow a head..."

daft fader
3rd Feb 2001, 13:56
I once assigned a squawk with an 8 in it as an April fool to an aircraft taxying. `Twas several minutes before I heard "very funny, tower". Lovely image of somebody trying to select said number and much head scratching.