View Full Version : PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

High 6
12th Apr 2007, 08:35
From all the local PNG aviators, farewell and Bamahuta to to one of the true fathers of aviation in our country.
I never had the honour of meeting this great man although I have read a lot about him, but as a national pilot who has had the pleasure of soaring above the clouds for over 30 years now, I know the debt that PNG aviation owes to those early pioneers.
RIP Bobby Gibbes, Bamahuta and Tenkyu Tru Wantok.

Torres
12th Apr 2007, 09:32
Spoke to Julie this evening. Funeral arrangements:

1.30 pm Tuesday, April 17, 2007. St Thomas Church of England, North Sydney.

After: Royal Price Alfred Yacht Club, Newport.

Not sure I got all that correct. Bit of an emotional phone call.

Animalclub
16th Apr 2007, 23:51
Courtesy of Trevor Michie's PNG Gossip Newsletter

** Airman's Mystery **

Army Airman Steve Zayac has been gone from Old Brooklyn nearly seven decades, leaving behind the mystery of what happened to him and a few photos of him and his crew in front of their B-24 Liberator bomber.

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/117619397844290.xml&coll=2

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usnatl105165358apr10,0,6231802.story?coll=ny-nationalnews-print

http://www.livehouse.com.au/police/6086/

http://www.newzblogz.com/blogs/pentagon/392665.html?remains-of-two-texans-among-10-world-war-ii-soldiers-identified

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070413/BREAKINGNEWS/70413018/1002/NEWS

====================

I have not checked out all the links.

tinpis
17th Apr 2007, 07:03
Them 1970's vintage Space Cadets be ready to collect super and play with their new toys/ wives? :rolleyes:

Some already have I guess.

robroy
26th Apr 2007, 12:49
Wantok,

Please check your PM's

Apinun,

robroy

robroy
30th Apr 2007, 14:25
Many sincere thanks for your Pidgin translation of the English request and Tok Tok belong Yu Gimi
Apinun Olgeta
See you behind time
robroy

robroy
7th May 2007, 10:19
:) As larpun as the Sharp one. 60's Relic,the Chucklng Chimbu and Torres.

Having a quiet apinun cleaning out the shed, hoping to get rid of some junk.

Found 2 pela books estop. Apologies to Chimbu C, his spelling of the Pidgin is far better than mind, I claim Larpunitis, left PNG over 33 years ago but still regard the years there as a magic learning curve in aviation!! Tru Tok. The above are more Larpun than I, in fact I think they are, Larpuneons,

Back to the thread, on looking thru the DC-3 Ops. Manual, and Engineering notes, No. 48, Mine, dated 1-11-1966, I found some highly technical Questions.

1. What is meant by stoicheometric mixture

2. What is the most dangerous ( thru fire ) a fuel tank full of kerosene or a fuel tank full of petrol.

( who cares I'm out of here )

3. Which plugs front or rear are fitted to the right magneto

I had a quick look at the old manual, so, I am now,not as larpun as some others.

The mind boggles doesn't it, these points are still valid today, but are overshadowed by, Glass, GPS, Auto Land, etc etc etc . But it still comes back to that Time Immemorial Subject, " AIRMANSHIP "

How about we get back to some real funny stories relating to PNG, personal events etc.

Anyway,

Cheers and Apinun Olgeta,

robroy

From the Manual.

Question No. 4 is listed below.

4. Is it work or pleasure to go to bed with the Hostie.

( Obviously PLEASURE, for if it was, WORK, the F/O would have to do it!

Torres
7th May 2007, 12:35
1. Burning rich is when the actual Fuel to Air ratio is greater than the stoicheometric Fuel to Air ratio (~14.6:1) , and burning lean is when the actual Fuel to Air ratio is less than the stoicheometric Fuel to Air ratio.

2. The octane rating of kerosene (Vaporising Oil, Power Kerosene, Jet A1 etc) is between 55 and 70. The lower the octane rating the greater susceptibility to burn at normal pressures. Thus kerosene is a greater fire risk than petrol.

3. Pass!

chimbu warrior
8th May 2007, 00:41
Gees Torres..........I didn't realise so many of your brain cells had survived the ravages of time and toxins. Most impressive! :cool:

robroy
8th May 2007, 13:41
Why not, He's now, not so Larpun, with his answer.

However, here we go.

Stoicheometric.

1. Of or pertaining to stoichiometry 2. ( of a compound ) containing its component elements in the exact proportions represented by its formula. 3.( of a mixture ) Yielding on complete reaction a stiochiometric compound.

From the DC-3 Manual.

( I glad I'm retired, I had to answer questions on this sort of stuff back in the 60's / 70's. The mind boggles at the sort of questions they could think of these days, with, glass, gps,auto land, quickies in blue lagoons, etc,etc.) Actually I remember some of the STUPID, questions I have been asked, whilst on the Boeings, Glass,and etc, just prior to my retirement. How do these Wankers, get there.

Here we go,

The proportion of fuel to air is vitally important and when discussing the subject, there are 3 factors to be considered. They are, power, tempertures, and economy.

The chemically correct fuel/air ratio to obtain complete combustion ( that is, when all the carbon, hydrogen and oxygen are consumed, leaving a residue of water vapour and carbon dioxide) is about 1-15 by weight for average fuels. But there are two features that preclude the use of, " Chemically Correct " mixture.

I think that's enough, but plenty to think about. If you would like me to continue, PM me, either for a personal answer or stick it back out here.

Torres, just what have you been sipping on all these years, seems to be, gut pela sumting.

Cheers, and Apinun Olgeta,

bel i-hot anis

robroy

chimbu warrior
13th May 2007, 09:22
Just saw John Kessey interviewed on the ABC news about the Beaufort restoration project.

He appears to be in good health and humour. Great to see.

robroy
13th May 2007, 11:07
Chimbu Warrior,
I was at the Beaufort function all day today, spoke to John many times and YES, he and his Wife are getting along quite nicely, considering their age.
John's hearing and eyesight is a wee bit below par but he was on his feet almost the whole day, 1000 to 1600.
Good news from the gathering, the Local member of the Bris. City Council
was there and as the Council has promised to help out on the rebuild, the Beaufort has been named, " THE CITY OF BRISBANE ".
Also there ,was the Wing Commander in charge of, RAAF Amberley, who told us about the RAAF's plan to establish an Air Museum at RAAF Amberley and that the Beaufort is invited to make the Amberley Museum its home base.
He also said that this was fitting, as RAAF Amberley was the centre of Bomber Command for Australia. Ralph said the Beaufort will be flown in.
Also stated today was that the Federal Government had been approached for financial assistance of up to $1,000,000 to rebuild the Beaufort and this was receiving a kindly ear in Canberra.
Also today, the Widow of a Beaufort Pilot donated a sum of money to the project, so much so, that a Plaque in remembrance of the Gentleman will be attached to the inside of the Beaufort, so that they will fly together in the future.
A few other ex PNG guys were there and we were all F/O's to John in A/MAL and AAPNG, on 3's and F-27's back in the dim dark. Our F/O, nickname for him was, " Sweetlips " A nice guy to fly with. We the F/O's had nicknames for the Captains, as they had for us, but thats another story. ( soon )
A good day was had by all and hopefully some financial assistance should be forthcoming.
Apinun Olgeta,
robroy

des carney
21st May 2007, 07:08
I've been searching for a lost copy of Liklik Red Pela Hat for years and have only just had the nous to do a web search and come across this forum.

I realise your post is about 2 years old, but would appreciate a copy of LLRPH (and Tri Pela Lilik Pig) if still available.

Des Carney
Navy (Retd)

Torres
21st May 2007, 08:08
Robroy. I have an interest in octane ratings and fuel combustibility due to a hobby of restoring antique farm equipment. My current project, almost complete, is the total restoration of my 1953 Ferguson TEA20 tractor.

High octane fuel has high aromatics content, and very low olefins (alkenes). Conversely, low octane has low aromatics and higher combustibility. Parafin (kerosene, heating oil) has an octane rating of zero.

During the war gasoline was rationed and restricted but governments had lashings of zero octane kerosene and, seeing as Mr Whittle's invention was yet to be built in large numbers to consume the kerosene, old tractors often use Tractor Vaporising Oil (TVO) or power kerosene, with far lower octane rating. As a result, old engines had far lower compression ratios to avoid pre ignition as the low octane fuel was far more combustible.)

Power kerosene or TVO is approximately three parts lighting kerosene, one part standard gasoline and reduces the octane rating to 55 to 70.

Here ends the science lesson!! :}

Des, someone in here had Mike Thomas's record and I think transferred it to tape or disk.

I'm sure if you offer free beer, all the geriatrics will be here! :}

des carney
22nd May 2007, 02:19
Thanks Torres - if anybody has Liklik Red Pela Hat on disc and would be generous enough to email me a copy ([email protected]) I would be grateful tumas.

anakid
24th May 2007, 09:13
Hi folks thought I would try and put on Google Earth the airfields/strips in PNG that I used to fly in and out of in the early 70’s. There are a couple of places that I can’t identify. I not sure even if the airfield code is correct.
Unfortunately I have thrown out the maps I used only in the last few years so can’t really check. :confused:
If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
The first one is from Wewak to FRR and return, flight time total two hours thirty, this is in a BN2A. I have a feeling it may be somewhere between Telifomin and Green River?
And a strip PGI between Imonda and Vanimo. Also a place around this area BWE.
Some of the PNG forums on pprune over the years have bought back some great memories of my time there, certainly an unforgettable experience.

tinpis
24th May 2007, 09:35
You must have been with Malarial Tours?

About the same time as "The Ace?" , the Cunnimbullim Kid?

Sharpie
24th May 2007, 09:59
It has been over 37 years since I operated in that rather inhospitable territory in a lightie; but I think that #1 is Freida River of Bill Dossett fame.
Another may be BEW-Bewani not BWE, and I can not help with the last one.Ha!

One second thoughts, it may be Pagei.

Chimbu Chuckles may be able to confirn or deny.

Cheers.

:ok:

AussieO2
24th May 2007, 22:00
Can any one tell me about the fate of P2-TGP, Aztec ? Operator, location ? Also, Beagle 206, VH-UNC, reported as crashed at POM on 19 FEB 1969, operator, what happened ? Thanks

tinpis
24th May 2007, 22:08
Beagle

Post #943 this thread

Sharpie
25th May 2007, 00:56
The Beagle, another great English designed aircraft and built like the proverbial (?) did not perform too well in PNG. It had a dingle at Tapini, then in February '69 an engine failed on take-off at Jacksons. The aircraft flown by well known personality, Wally Rivers was carrying only four people to Kerema, so should not have been near maxtow. Wally put it down on the access road with no injuries, but the aircraft was substantially damaged, never to fly again.
For many years it was included in the Fire Service hulks for fire fighting practice and was possibly bulldozed in when the new parallel runway was built.
Aztec VH-TGP was one of the two Aztec's operated by TAA. I can only assume that the aircraft were disposed of after the introduction of the Twin Otters.
:)

anakid
25th May 2007, 05:01
TINPIS,
Correct with # 1.

Re # 2 Don’t recall those names, although might know the real name.

SHARPIE,

Thanks for that, for me it is around 34 years, that’s why a little hazy on place names.

Animalclub
26th May 2007, 01:35
Courtesy of Trevor Michie's PNG Gossip Newsletter..

-- http://www.michie.net/balus/px-history.html (Air Niugini - not complete)

-- http://www.michie.net/balus/cg-history.html (Aviation Database of PNG - very incomplete!)

If anyone can add to the Air Niugini or the Airlines of PNG (Milne Bay Air) history please send an email to this newsletter and I will pass it on. Does anyone have a picture of the MBA, Grumman Goose?

chimbu warrior
26th May 2007, 22:28
Aussie 02, I have a feeling that the Aztec ended it's days on the fire dump in Rabaul. If the same one, it was owned by an electrical contractor in Rabaul who let it slowly rot away from the early 80's. I think it eventually moved to the fire dump, and no doubt would have been buried in '94.

troppo
26th May 2007, 23:57
Goose Pics
http://www.seawings.co.uk/goosewalk3.htm

Animalclub
27th May 2007, 01:33
PNGDash posted the following on the Airlink thread... thought it should be on this one too...

If anyone wants to look up PNG airstrip details any time, I've posted the full list as I have it here:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/billsview/airstrips.htm

Hope that helps someone. There will have been changes since 2002, of course, but the basics remain true.

Cheers,
Bill

AussieO2
27th May 2007, 22:04
P2-SDB, a PAC 750XL has been reported inbound from New Zealand.
Re P2-TGP, thanks chimbu for the info, best lead I have had yet and to everybody else who provided the info on the Beagle B.206. I am RFDS researcher and both a/c were with them at one time.

tinpis
27th May 2007, 22:29
OT Aussie
I am RFDS researcher and both a/c were with them at one time.
Do you know what became of B-58 FDC and PA-31 FDQ?

Edited to add on about the 27th of June 1970 I got a lift with an electrical contracter in his Aztec from POM to GKA. Pretty sure he was on his way to Rabaul.

AussieO2
28th May 2007, 03:39
VH-FDC is now VH-BAM, based at Mount Isa and VH-FDQ is still FDQ and based out of Essendon. Glad to help.. Both were with Central section. Did you, at some stage, work for RFDS ?

liklikrokrok
28th May 2007, 07:12
:p Anyone out there know when the next Air Niugini interviews could be?:ok:

tinpis
29th May 2007, 00:51
Did you, at some stage, work for RFDS ?
Correct :ok:. FDQ was the "Graham Pitts"

AussieO2
29th May 2007, 01:11
Tinpis, I am always looking for old RFDS memorabillia, annual reports, magazines and the like, if, by chance you have unwanted material, please send me a pm, Thanks.

Waghi Warrior
29th May 2007, 07:37
PX recruiting next ?

Soon I have heard,rumour is that they will be recruiting for the Dash 8 next time around.

Good luck.

:)

liklikrokrok
30th May 2007, 00:40
Thanks wantok warrior:)

troppo
30th May 2007, 08:16
It might be real soon...
Post Courier

Wednesday 30th May , 2007

Lack of crew cause of flight woes – sources

THE recent cancellation of Air Niugini flights causing a backlog of passengers was due to a shortage of air crew and not engineering problems, airline sources said yesterday.
The sources said Air Niugini had planes sitting on the tarmac ready to fly, but the airline did not have the crew members to fly these planes.
This caused the problem of scheduled flights being cancelled. Under strict regulation, air crew have a set number of hours to fly in a day. They cannot work over those hours.
According to the sources, most of the airline’s pilots have been trained to fly the newer F100 aircraft and cannot fly the ageing F28s aircraft. Likewise, F28 pilots cannot fly F100 aircraft or the Dash 8s.
He said two planes were unserviceable at the weekend – an F100 (P2 ANF) with mechanical problems and a Dash 8 aircraft after it was hit by lightning while in the air.
“Yes, we had two planes down, but we have F28 planes sitting on the tarmac. There is no one to fly them. It is not a case of engineering problem. It’s a case of operations getting their act together,’’ the source said.
He said there were two to three aircraft sitting at the airport outside the international airport everyday ready to fly after they were serviced, but there was no air crew for them.
“For example, ask them why one of the Dash 8 aircraft, P2 ANM, a 300 series, hardly flies? Is it because of an engineering problem or crewing problem,’’ the source said. The source said the airline faced crewing problems for both its F28 and Dash 8 aircraft.
Air Niugini has two types of Dash 8 aircraft, the Dash 8 200 series and Dash 8 300 series. Dash 8 pilots can fly only one or the other, just like F28 and F100 pilots, but not both. Reacting to Air Niugini operations general manager, Captain Daniel Wanma’s explanation yesterday that cancellation of flights which have become a daily occurrence with Air Niugini was due to engineering problem, the source said this was not true.
It is “a slur on the (airline’s) engineering department’’ which ensured high safety standards of the airline’s operating aircraft, the source said, adding the engineering department also ensured there were serviceable planes available everyday.
“We have a crewing problem, not an engineering problem. Operations has to sort this issue out,’’ the source said.

Sharpie
30th May 2007, 10:37
If the 200-300 are on the same type-rating, what is the problem or is it a genuine shortage of aircrew?

One section blaming the other so maybe it is time for a CAA audit.:rolleyes:

Waghi Warrior
31st May 2007, 05:51
More of a crewing problem with the Dash 8s,ie not enough pilots. All type rated pilots can fly both types if they have done the additional time on the 300,about 9 hours and a handfull of sectors I believe. CAA have also put more constraints on PX in regard to using the cadets on line,ie they now have to do some stupid amount of flying (Couple of hundred hours I believe) with a support FO in the jump seat :confused: This is also compounding the problem.

As for PX engineering :confused:

Nil Ident
31st May 2007, 12:42
Yeah well, 10 F-28 pilots to crew three aircraft was never gonna work if you were trying to prop up the F100 & DHC 8 flying block.Original plan of management was to retire the ol' girls but they dont have enough serviceable aircraft or trained crews.Middle management were told of this impending cluster last year but was largely ignored.

Torres
31st May 2007, 21:35
Today, June 1, 2007 marks the 20th Anniversary of the founding and first flight of Flight West Airlines on June 1, 1987, when the 6.30 am King Air flight departed Brisbane for Longreach.

Thanks again to those great people twenty years ago that made it all possible.

Sad that nothing remain's of Junior's empire.

Sharpie
1st Jun 2007, 02:31
maybe the shortage of aircrew will worsen?
Airline crew face smuggling charge (P.C: 1 June 2007)
AN Air Niugini aircraft crew is under investigation for attempting to smuggle goods into the country worth over K12,000.
The two pilots and an aircraft engineer (named) did not personally declare the items or highlight them on the aircraft’s cargo manifest when they flew a new Fokker 100 aircraft into Jacksons International Airport from Malaysia, early last month.
The goods, which included 32-inch television screens, computer keyboards and other electronic items, were packed into seven cartons and discovered by PNG Customs officials after they searched the aircraft. Customs seized the goods, roughly valued at about 15,950 Malaysian Ringgit (K12,785.57), and would make a decision on them after the completion of formal investigations.
Air Niugini chief executive officer Wasantha Kumarasiri confirmed the incident when contacted by the Post-Courier.
“Custom laws must be followed by all. I have discussed the matter with the customs commissioner and PX (Air Niugini) will support the inquiry. If they (are) found to be wrong under the law, customs will take legal actions against the individuals,” he said.
When asked if the airline will take disciplinary action against the aircraft crew, Mr Kumarasiri said their security department was currently reviewing the case and would act on the review’s recommendations.
Aviation industry workers based at the Jacksons International Airport say it is not the first time Air Niugini officials have breached customs laws, while highlighting that the Fokker 100 crew gave invoices of the seized goods only after the items were discovered and seized.
But Mr Kumarasiri said he was not aware of previous cases of his officers flouting the law.
“I am unaware of any previous incidents,” he said.
“However, if you go to the airport, everyday customs find some one breaking the law and they take actions as they see fit.” :hmm:

Minosavy Masta
1st Jun 2007, 04:20
My Ohhh My .....I suppose they can always EAT the evidence....doesnt taste as good as Filipino Mangoes though ..does it ??;):hmm:

PieChucker
1st Jun 2007, 05:10
What ever happened to the bottle of Whiskey for the customs officials? Used to work a treat, causing temporary blindness:}

Sharpie
1st Jun 2007, 13:19
Whiskey? Water-meth used to do wonders for optics after a big binge!

tinpis
2nd Jun 2007, 19:57
Please be advised that Air Niugini will be running two return back to back special flights RAB CNS RAB as an initiative to promote tourism in Papua New Guinea mainly the New Guinea Islands. Regular flights will be introduced from April through to October should results of these flights prove viable. The details are as follows and the schedule is subject to slot approvals from CNS Airport authorities.

DAYS OF OPERATIONS:

* Mondays - PX4094 1440 - RAB CNS 1705
* Tuesdays PX4095 0700 - CNS RAB 0925

*From PNGBD website*

HANOI
2nd Jun 2007, 23:51
Sori tumas Tinpis , These flights have been cancelled due...........
Lack of proper security screening equipt.
Below standard RFF
Lack of pax interest

liklikrokrok
5th Jun 2007, 02:34
I swear I saw those 3 gentlemen busted for pissing up on the Etihad flight in action at the lae yacht club over the weekend:\

You only live once!

tinpis
5th Jun 2007, 03:09
Had a nostalgic twinge this morning
Had been uptown early in my car and returning home noticed a longrasser stop an peer in my gate
He started to move in the driveway when i realised he was a PNG !
I wound down the window and bellowed "FARKIN WANEM ? !!
He took off like a startled bush rat :}

troppo
5th Jun 2007, 04:49
maybe he was looking for pikinini bilong him at tin's house :}

yawskidball
5th Jun 2007, 06:20
yeh,him pikinini at tins haus:}

Sharpie
6th Jun 2007, 22:16
Masta! mi lukim poppa biling mi i stap lon we. Yu Save?;)

Sharpie
7th Jun 2007, 07:12
LIKLIKROKROK

I missed the story ablout the three guys on Etihad. Can yoy direct me to the news item.

A guy I helped train years ago is now VP Ops with them.

Cheers.

Chimbu chuckles
7th Jun 2007, 07:38
Tinny...farken wanem:}

About 4 years ago in Australia some twit got the ****s with me for taking 'his' parking space up on Mt Tamborine (behind Gold Coast). He roundly abused me in Tok Pisin through his passenger side window...so I roundly abused him back in tok pisin...look on the crunts face was priceless:E

Taildragger
7th Jun 2007, 22:36
Chuckles... He was talking Tok pissed not Pisin :)

liklikrokrok
9th Jun 2007, 02:33
Sharpie,

About a week ago came on the 6 o'clock news "3 wantoks having a drink out of the hip flask and harrassing cabin crew on an Etihad flight."Apparently got court marshalled and deported..lucky to be pardoned from the public flogging.

llrr:)

yerex
11th Jun 2007, 12:45
Chuckles, was it Broomhead the Larger??

tinpis
12th Jun 2007, 01:09
We flushed two spooks out from room under the house last night
Same bloke and a mate
Unfortunately they legged it up the street (dark)
Nothing missing

Surprise waiting they try it again :E

robroy
12th Jun 2007, 08:09
Have you got your earmuffs ON, Oh and what happened to your 0722 reply on Jetblast this day.

Cheers

robroy

Fantome
17th Jun 2007, 02:34
Wonder where the smaller and the larger might be found? The one with the amusing transposition of "Dick" did once haunt the Argent in Isa and the other I last saw at Wynyard leaning laconically on turn round against front door of Frugal-liner eyeing off ancient Heron from oldest Frugal still in service.
When I said know your brother he said sorri too much.

tinpis
17th Jun 2007, 02:44
I remembry the Argent in Isa
Were the preferred resthaus for intrepid PI66 aviators heading for Gove.

Sharpie
20th Jun 2007, 05:48
yu laik drivim balus?

Aviation crisis looms

HEALTH and Bougainville Affairs Minister Sir Peter Barter has warned of an aviation crisis following the abrupt cancellation of Airlink and Airlines PNG flights to numerous airports nationwide.
Government-owned Air Niugini also came under criticism, the Madang Regional MP questioning the national airline’s decision to abruptly change its March-October 2007 flight schedule.
“The Air Niugini schedule as downloaded off their website No. 104 effective Sun Mar 29 – Sat Oct 27, 2007 flight PX960 Madang-Port Moresby departing at 7.25am.
“Without any prior notification, this schedule has been replaced showing the flight now leaves at 11.00am.
“You can imagine the frustration of passengers including myself that rose at 4am to catch the flight only to be told it no longer operates.
“You can also imagine the embarrassment of the Air Niugini staff having to explain the change to angry passengers who in good faith had purchased tickets for such a flight,” Sir Peter said in a statement.
But Air Niugini CEO Wasantha Kuma-rasiri said the airline had to change its current schedule as their F28-4000 aircraft fleet need to be retired by June 30, consequently disrupting normal services to destinations such as Madang.
And he maintained the airline still had a 7.15am Madang-Port Moresby service which was available on all days except Tuesday and Thursday.
“Air Niugini is currently investigating much earlier departure on Tuesday and Thursday from POM for the Port Moresby-Madang-Lae service, to enable Madang passengers to get a connection via Lae,” Mr Kumarasiri said.
On the grounding of third-level airline Airlink and the decision by Airlines PNG to abandon small airports, Sir Peter said it was creating problems for rural commuters.
“All these problems result in the people in most need of air transport are unable to travel, or forced to charter a very limited number of airplanes now operating in PNG.
“Cargo is building up in Port Moresby, urgent medical supplies are not reaching rural areas, and this is compounded by more airstrips closing due to lack of services and maintenance funds,” he said.
Sir Peter said failure by the Government to resolve the issue could result in economic and social disruption in the country.

:ugh:

tinpis
20th Jun 2007, 06:09
Sir Peter should polish up his old TAL wings.

Torres
20th Jun 2007, 11:15
Or polish something.......... :E

BlunderBus
21st Jun 2007, 08:28
Came back into Daru to find some old plonker with foggy specs thumbing through my phonebook in the kitchen..."can i help you"?
"Looking for DCA moresby number"
My reply must have been a bit loud for his hearing coz his next remark was..
"i might be blind but i'm not f*****g deaf"!!

Not a man to mince words was our blackjack...
Lived a life on his own terms...what a guy...hope he and bobby n dennis are enjoying the view from up there...
They broke the mold

RIP
missed but never forgotten

BlunderBus
21st Jun 2007, 08:31
awww c'mon muzza..you just love the smell of gunfire :)

tinpis
21st Jun 2007, 10:09
Ive just realised that most of my old PNG contemporaries have retired

Except for a few left swanning around in Kwanas

Hope yer all fit and well

Dont forget to vote [1] Liberal:ok:

We is all old enough to remember Goof :(

robroy
21st Jun 2007, 11:47
I remember the early 70's in PNG, when goof came up on a campaign for the upcoming Federal election.

He told us all, that we could bring our pets back to Oz when we went finish.
He got some votes, never ours, ever.

Some time shortly after he got in, we found out the truth!!!

Yes, your pet can come back to Oz, after 6 months in a British quarantine, then back to Oz, for another 6 months at North Head. At YOUR EXPENSE!!!

We hate and detest goof!!!

My Wife cried most of the way back on the flight to Oz, I must admit I didn't have a dry eye either ,when we left our Lab. behind, however, we gave the pooch to our next door neighbours who had 2 young kid,s that loved the, "Husky Dog".

I wouldn't trust that lot while ever my, posterior points to the ground.

However, I am very, very upset with the richard cranium that poisoned, The Tree of Knowledge, we have been there and regardless of your political leaning, it was an Ozzy icon.

I am a BUSH BOY.

Cheers and ,

Apinun,

robroy

Fantome
29th Jun 2007, 13:07
Allan was found dead in his home in Dulwich Hill, Sydney last week. Lies in the morgue in Glebe. No next of kin found as yet. Flew for Ansett-MAL in 60's. Later had some sort of fuel agency with close ties to Talair. Any details to add to an obit, please send a PM.

Torres
29th Jun 2007, 21:19
Blunder, "..are enjoying the view from up there..." Maybe. I suspect they are looking up, not down!

fantome, another one gone. :{ Farewell Al. RIP.

HANOI
10th Jul 2007, 03:54
The DC-3 " Larry Blackman " outside ANG Haus in Port Morbid , is now descending from the pylons via a large crane for a sorely needed repaint.
The potholes are getting deeper . The No-Go areas are getting wider.
The PX and National flags outside ANG Haus on Saturday were both flying upside down.(a message ?.)
Only 30% of Jets and 20% of DH-8s AOG today.
R/Way lights u/s or vandalised at Kavieng/Manus/Wewak.
No Fuel at Lihir/Manus or Madang ,
T-Vasis lamps at Vanimo just been replaced having been stolen
Rabaul (Tokua) R/way showing signs of cracking.
Nadzab unsafe after dark due armed hold-ups on the road into town
Madang bat problem getting worse
Escalators in POM INTL terminal haven't worked for over 4 months.
etc etc etc
Apart from that , just another day in Paradise.

the wizard of auz
10th Jul 2007, 04:56
Have they fixed the radar at POM yet?.
Aaaaah, I miss the place. :D

Linedriver
10th Jul 2007, 08:26
Gents, I’m looking for anyone who was involved as a civilian pilot in the search for the RAAF Caribou that crashed in the Kudgeru Gap in New Guinea on 28 August 1972. If you were involved, or know someone who was, I’d appreciate you contacting me by PM.

The moderator on the Dunnunda board suggested I might get a better response to my request here.

Sharpie
10th Jul 2007, 09:08
I say Hanoi, that sounds terrible about the conditions, maybe after the elekshuns sufficient funds may be found from oz coffers to run a few repairs around the place. Divert the aid from a couple of out of favour island nations to help prop up the local scene a bit longer. I wonder why Tokua is cracking up. Surely not due to F100 tyre pressures.
Of missing Vasis lamps and orther equipment, I recall a few years ago when in an endeavour to stop nightime pilferage and pig access to Madang runway, we contracted security guards to be stationed at each threshold, as well as irregularly timed visits by the security co's flying mobile unit.
The system seemed to work well until one morning during a pre-dawn runway inspection, the DCA firetruck ran over one gentleman having a wee kip on the threshhold!:ugh:
Even the fence installed to keep pigs and people out, quickly disappeared. Maybe an answer is to permit stock grazing on runway verges like in some asian country's.
Do not forget to register for the Pixie reunion. Numbers limited to 250 heads!

dwarfhunter
10th Jul 2007, 23:27
They fixed the radar about 2 weeks ago, but forgot to fix the people workin it. Still seperate using procedure rather than lookin at the bloody screen. Still ask DME and position even though your squawking a discrete code??
DH

the wizard of auz
11th Jul 2007, 00:07
Gosh, that was fast. only took four years to fix it. :}

11th Jul 2007, 09:05
So what's the security sitiuation at Madang these days. Is there still a fence? or are you likely to find a pig crossing?

How about those bats - any close calls?:ok:

troppo
12th Jul 2007, 08:20
I see NCA are advertising for drivers again, I'd give my left nut to go back and fly in PNG again.
Are they getting many punters going up there looking these days or is it getting increasingly difficult to hire FNG's with the experience minimums/requirements and money?

the wizard of auz
12th Jul 2007, 11:08
I would go back up there in a shot if the coin was there. not going up to work for Kina though. :eek:

MixmasterBilongJesus
16th Jul 2007, 00:15
Troppo,

I dare say if you went back there's a healthy chance you would actually lose your left nut (and probably some more).

It sounds like these days the best thing about PNG is having that final cleanser at airways before wandering down the hill and getting on the big balus and coming home.

liklikrokrok
16th Jul 2007, 01:18
Could'nt agree more MBJ:)

Pinky the pilot
17th Jul 2007, 06:56
When I was there back in 1990 to mid 92 the place was certainly falling apart but most things still worked...sort of!

And despite the requirement to always be aware of your personal security (with some it was supplied by Messrs Smith and Wesson:ok:) and trying to have eyes in the back of your head the country was a fun place to be, the flying was exciting, challenging and sometimes dangerous. However I still enjoyed my time there and would'nt have missed it for the world!:ok::ok:

Unfortunately, the tone of the last few posts above have given me the impression that the country has now changed so much for the worse that it is no longer a place that one would want to be.:{

I guess that without doubt we all knew it would happen one day; it's just that we hoped it would not!

Sharpie
18th Jul 2007, 08:04
You can always try to keep a little informed about the place via: www.postcourier.com.pg and theNational.com.pg

Whether the news stories are factual or not and how much salt one takes with whatever, they are a avenue to keep in touch a little bit. :)

tinpis
18th Jul 2007, 11:00
Sadly, Sharpie the Elder and Sharpie the Younger, never went into politics and created a South Pacific paradise for all.(Kiwis would have been given free wives)

The Kudgeru Gap
Bloody hell I looked for a "GAP" the many times I flew it over from the Wau valley enroute to Moresby
All I ever saw was bloody great big nasty ridges.

Chimbu chuckles
18th Jul 2007, 11:41
Then yu was too high tinny:}

It is there...a long shallow valley with kunai patches and then a bit of a right turn into the Wau Valley. Because of the nature of the terrain south of the Gap it was entirely possible to look high enough to get through while being too low by a long way...like I said, quite an optical elusion.

the wizard of auz
18th Jul 2007, 12:43
and an illusion as well no doubt. :}

Torres
19th Jul 2007, 02:02
Here’s a blast from the past……….. A couple of familiar names from days of yore in PNG! :ok:

Chinchilla News Thursday July 19 2007.

Western Downs Takes Flight

Flying is something inherent in all, Chief Flying Instructor David Air said last Saturday.

“They want to emulate the birds” he added.

Mr Air was explaining the popularity of the information day held at the Chinchilla aerodrome by the rejuvenated Western Downs Flying School.

Based in Rockhampton, Mr Air was in town to help local Mike Touhy complete his training to become a qualified flying instructor. He took time out to guide interested locals through the information day.

“I want to help get the school under way then walk away” he said.

Chinchilla Aero Club president John Dingley, who wants to rejuvenate the flying school, said young, old and experienced made their way to the information day.

“We had people coming up to us all day” he said.

“Some had never flown while others had done some flying and wanted to know what they needed to do to get a licence. There were some quite young people and there were those who’d be flying for awhile but needed to renew their licence. It was a good mix.”

Mr Dingley said the growth in flying schools across the region, which included new schools at Dalby and Roma, was in part due to what recreational flying offered budding pilots.”

“It doesn’t have as many rules and regulations,” he said “All you need is a car licence, it’s not as expensive, we provide the plane and there’snot the high levelof scrutiny.”

He said the rebirth of the local flying school had been made possible by Mr Touhy’s recent qualifications. It had also been helped by the standard of the aerodrome. The Western Downs Flying School takes students right through to full licences, which usually takes 30 hours of flying and extra for navigational flights.

I wont comment of the journalism.......

John Dingley owns a Cessna 208B Caravan.

tinpis
23rd Jul 2007, 20:11
Have they got a suitable balus for Mike to teach in? Like a Tiger Moth? :rolleyes:

troppo
25th Jul 2007, 08:51
Easing the pain since 1952! :}

Aviation related in a round a bout way :ok:

www.postcourier.com.pg

SP wins 3 golds

SP BREWERY Limited has broken new grounds in the history of the country’s beer industry after winning three gold medals for its trade mark products, SP Lager, South Pacific Export and Niugini Ice.
The awards were announced at the recent Monde Selection for quality in Belgium.
The Monde Selection is a Belgium based Institute for Quality and is one of the world’s prestigious beer awards which recognises the quality for ingredients used, the brewing processes and techniques and awards gold medal only to those that meet the highest standards. This year over 70 countries participated in the awards.
General manager Stan Joyce said it was the first time that the three products had all won tis prestigious awards among some of the best beers in the world.
Mr Joyce paid tribute to an article which appeared on the front page of this newspaper in 1952 in which the writer reviewed the first SP brew before it was released in 1952 (see attached article at right) and said that the beer produced by SP Brewery has been good ever since.
“With this great achievement, SP Brewery will not be resting on this success. All of us here are working to build a winning culture to achieve even greater things,” Mr Joyce said.
“On behalf of all at SP Brewery, I would personally like to thank people of PNG, our customers, the media and particularly the Post-Courier whom we have been together with in the early days for your support.”
2007 also marks the first time that our premium brand, South Pacific Export Lager, has been awarded the gold medal for the second consecutive year,”
“To win a Monde Selection award truly represents international quality…and all Papua New Guineans should be proud as our PNG made beers truly deserve their place amongst the world class international beers,” said SP Brewery’s technical manager Daniel Khaw.
He said the unprecedented events marked a turning point for the beer industry in PNG, “putting us in the ranks of great international beer brands such as Australia’s James Boag’s premium and the American Sam Adam’s Light all of whom are winners of the Monde Selection gold medals as well”.

tinpis
25th Jul 2007, 20:53
"SP,helping 2 kina Meris get bonked since 1952.." :hmm:

bulolobob
25th Jul 2007, 21:55
SP BREWERY Limited has broken new grounds in the history of the country’s beer industry after winning three gold medals for its trade mark products, SP Lager, South Pacific Export and Niugini Ice.
Speaking from considerable experience - it's a great drop.:p It is just a shame that it is so hard to find in OZ.
Does anyone know where it is stocked in QLD?
Cheers
BB

the wizard of auz
25th Jul 2007, 23:29
Tinny, you obviously haven't been back there for a bit. :}

tinpis
26th Jul 2007, 00:56
And I have no intention of going there for a bit . :uhoh:

Animalclub
26th Jul 2007, 01:18
BuloloBob
Last time I saw an SP Export long neck for retail sale was at the Sheraton TSV many, many, many years ago!

the wizard of auz
26th Jul 2007, 02:14
Last time I sampled SP, it was in Daru. I actually enjoy it....... the land of the unexpected. :}

tinpis
26th Jul 2007, 03:06
Top End hotel in Darwhine stocks it.

Preferred tipple of the local cognoscenti is still the Woobla :}

High 6
27th Jul 2007, 04:45
Ahhhhh.... SP at the mention of the word the memories just come alive.
I remember the Kieta Phantom (RIP) always greeting the incoming PX crew at the Kieta Hotel with a very cold brown bottle at reception, there was never any rush to get to the rooms..
Ideal way to end 6 sectors on the "pocket rocket" enjoying the best flying in the world. :ok:

Minosavy Masta
27th Jul 2007, 13:03
Sorry Hi 6,..but the Pocket Rocket didnt Overnight anywhere in PNG..so the SP Brown must have done more to your memory than bring it back!:}

High 6
27th Jul 2007, 14:44
The Pocket Rocket was what the F28's were called in the mid 1980's. We had layovers on the F28 in WWK, RAB, KIE and Honiara.

It was a neat operation, many fond memories held together with SP thread...

I presume there must have been a pocket rocket version 2 later on, I must have moved on to sand pit by then.

Gear Up, Max Power, Ignition Relight!!!

Animalclub
27th Jul 2007, 22:00
You couldn't walk past the Kieta Phantom's (I've forgotten his name - how could I?) office without getting the call for a beer - even at 0700.
He walked into my office in CNS on many a morning sweating and asking to sample my white cans!

chimbu warrior
27th Jul 2007, 22:51
Animalclub, the Phantom's real name was Barry Walker. Prior to his time in Kieta, he was at the Hagen Park, and after leaving Kieta he went to the Mendana in Honiara.

On the matter of pocket rocket overnights, I also recall the F28 overnighting in Kavieng when I was based there.

mauswara
27th Jul 2007, 22:52
(Sir) Barry Walker aka "The Phantom"The "skull cave" was formally located at the Wewak Hotel (early 80's) then re-located to Kieta, where it became a legendary PX overnight stop.cheers maus.

Torres
28th Jul 2007, 02:22
Perhaps Minosavy Masta is referring to the BCL Westwind, although I seem to recall that overnighting at Kieta on occasion.

Ah, the Ghost Who Walks!! :ok: Must be a decade since he passed on?

tinpis
28th Jul 2007, 02:30
Speaking of publicans was it John Hickey (sp) that had boozers in PNG and last seen in the 70's near Bankstown?

Minosavy Masta
28th Jul 2007, 12:49
Hi 6 I guess it depends on the timeframe...I was there when the "Pocket Rocket" was introduced..in fact we trained with MMA ...The title of 'Pocket Rocket" was actually not used until the F28 was introduced to the Brisbane services and it was part of the Advertising campaign associated with that...

When we first introduced the F28 to PNG operations it didnt overnight anywhere....out and back to meet the Lunch time OZ Flights...then out and back in the afternoon ,evening was the normal way of things...quite the opposite of life on the F27 or DC3 ..This was initially perceived by the Pilot group to be Fantastic as we were home every night etc etc ...it wasnt long however ..and the whinging started ....I remember the Ferocity with which the occassional Honiara or Cairns overnight was bid for..I left Paradise in the mid 80s so its probably a mute point...that I make ..Cheers ;)

Animalclub
28th Jul 2007, 23:37
Simbu Man
I think Barry's last pub in PNG was Kavieng.

Minosavy
Wasn't the Pocket Rocket ad campaign around the time Gerry produced that "Don't stuff around in a queue" poster - several roos up each other?!

NewZealand2
30th Jul 2007, 06:41
this one? :)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m266/NewZealand2/PXAdvert.jpg

Animalclub
30th Jul 2007, 07:25
That's the one!!!
The story goes that Gerry was banned from travelling on Qantas after the publication of THAT poster!

Taildragger
30th Jul 2007, 22:11
Animalclub... Trutok. Barry was at the Malagang Lodge in KVG right on the waterfront. Sitting on those flat deckchairs on the sand sipping, nay gulping SP Brownies thinking Tourists pay quids for this.! When drinking with him in the Skull Cave in Kieta, the right amount seemed to magic it's way on to the bill. What happened to his wife when he passed away.?? Many happy memories of KIE and KVG and the KVG Club drinking that beer.! :\

Animalclub
30th Jul 2007, 23:04
Taildragger
The Phantom's wife stayed in Brisbane after he died... at least that's what she told me she was going to do - the day he died.

barryhoc
14th Aug 2007, 07:33
Apinun all. Earlier today I posted a photo of a nasty bushknife wound to the back with a reference to Taildragger's infamous injury at the derro club some years back. The photo was considered "unacceptable" and has been removed. My sincere apologies to anyone who saw the post and may have considered the photo offensive in any way. Such was neither anticipated nor intended. Regards to all.

Taildragger
14th Aug 2007, 12:16
Barryhoc Dinnae worry son. I wasn't offended, but I WAS offended at the Slimy, brain dead low life son of a wossname with the intellect of a sea anenome (Sorry Coral) who used his axe on me.! Incidentally, as I type this is on my cork notice board at my side. Happy days. The Taxman would be interested to see it. Happy days at the Dero.!!
Taildragger :yuk:

barryhoc
17th Aug 2007, 06:08
Thanks CC. No problems with the tax-man here. The last few weeks on the market have seen to that. Ah well. There's always the bottle. How do they make it so cheap ? Cheers. Barryhoc.

Barry Bernoulli
20th Aug 2007, 10:25
What happened to VH-TWW (Caravan)? I saw it at POM a few times a while back, and now I see it on EMTV in a mess off the end of the runway at Tufi or somewhere.

Captain Nomad
20th Aug 2007, 10:45
Handywork of a certain pilot who has a record of runway overruns I hear...

Landed long and saw things going pear shaped and decided to fix by feathering the prop :confused:

Last I heard the engine had been removed and sent away. Acft still on the ground Tufi.

All in all a rather expensive exercise I'd reckon!

Torres
20th Aug 2007, 10:58
Oh dear, that Trickey manouver has been tested previously, at Caloundra, with similar results! :}

But at Tufi he is in illustrious company - a certain CASA senior manager preceded him many years ago in a DHC4 Caribou.......... :=

Section28- BE
21st Aug 2007, 06:37
Torres- Re: Caribou route endorsement at Tufi- this particular Senior Mgr would not have previously been associated with red jets and prior blue tails would he???

Torres
21st Aug 2007, 08:42
DHC4 Caribou A4-264:
Delivered to RAAF 05/68. Served with 38 Sqn Det "A" in PNG 1971. On the 20/07/71 Over ran the end of the strip a Tufi.

Sharpie
22nd Aug 2007, 01:23
Hey Torres! How many Caribou's did the boys in blue park forever in PNG?

By the way, a bit of info from today's posguria.

Airport security getting slack

ONCE again another senior government official has been able to beat the security system at the Jacksons Airport to take live ammunition on an Air Niugini flight to Singapore.
First a senior officer took a pistol on a flight to the same destination. Now it is ammunition.
What is going on? The Civil Aviation Authority and Air Niugini must explain how this lapse in security happened. It is making a mockery of Papua New Guinea in the eyes of the international aviation community, let alone governments which are working extremely hard to tackle terrorism, transnational crime as well as preventing the carriage of dangerous goods such as firearms and ammunition on passenger airliners. What has happened is a very serious breach of airline security and a thorough investigation must be carried out and whoever is found to have been involved, should be charged and prosecuted.
We hope this time around we will see a successful prosecution before the courts and not another lame excuse as has happened in the past.
All evidence relating to this case must be safeguarded and produced in court. There should be no more excuses of evidence suddenly going missing.
This is not the first time ammunition has been carried on flights without detection by airport security. It is a serious lapse which if allowed to continue undeterred can pose a serious threat to aviation security in the future. Airline security companies also need to ensure their staff at the airport are not allowing such dangerous goods to be carried on the flights, both domestic and international.
International experiences should warn us that any lapses in aviation security could lead to PNG paying a high price for such lapses.
All over the world governments are taking strong measures to secure airports and ensuring that passengers moving in and out of the various ports are thoroughly checked by security. PNG authorities know that this country is not an exception.
We must do our part and show the rest of the world we are just as concerned and are doing our best to enforce aviation security measures that guarantee the safety of the travelling public as well as aircraft.
Countries that Air Niugini flies to have zero tolerance over the unauthorised carriage of firearms or ammunition on aircraft entering their countries, and if PNG continues to show laxity in its attitude towards aviation security then our national flag carrier could be banned from flying to those countries.

[Go to the top] ©Copyright

tinpis
22nd Aug 2007, 03:40
it would be a lesson learned if he was prosecuted in Singapore for possession of munitions

Long drop for that one I think?

dwarfhunter
8th Sep 2007, 23:01
From Thursday's Post Courier.

Moti report ‘lost’

THE Moti Inquiry report that cost the State K1.6 million to put together is “somewhere in the Prime Minister’s residence and cannot be located”, the National Court heard yesterday.
Presiding judge Justice Bernard Sakora ordered lawyers representing Prime Minister Sir Michael Somare, former chief secretary Joshua Kalinoe, PNG Defence Force chief of staff Captain Tom Ur and two others on Tuesday to furnish a copy of the report in court.
But the lawyers turned up empty handed yesterday, triggering the ire of the judge.
When Sir Michael’s lawyer Kerenga Kua told him the report had yet to be located, Justice Sakora said: “That’s not good enough, I have been asking for it since yesterday (Tuesday) and now I’m told the search is on”.

Earlier, Mr Kua told the court the report was in a box somewhere in Sir Michael’s residence and could not be found, as the Prime Minister was relocating from his private home to his official residence, Mirigini House.

dwarfhunter
8th Sep 2007, 23:20
And from Wednesday's Post Courier. Haven't worked out how running a freighter between Australia and Port Moresby will solve the ETOPS problem to Japan.

Airline sets record straight on Viva Macau

THE AIR Niugini leased Boeing 767-300 aircraft operated by Viva Macau Airlines will provide services to major international routes until a permanent Boeing 767 is introduced at the end of next month.
Air Niugini chief executive officer Wasantha Kumarasiri said this while replying to what he called misconceptions about the Viva Macau B767-300 operational routes.
Mr Kumarasiri said the Viva Macau plane was similar to the one previously leased by Air Niugini for the past five years where the aircraft had 24 business and 221 economy class seats configuration and a similar freight carrying capacity.
“However, the aircraft is not an Extended Twin Engine Operation (ETOPS) rated, which means that it must operate on routes where it can be within 60 minutes of an alternative airport at any one time during the course of its flight routines,” Mr Kumarasiri said.
He said this meant that Air Niugini was not able to operate its Port Moresby to Tokyo services by the most direct route, and must follow a more circuitous path closer to Indonesia, Philippines and Taiwanese land masses that offered alternate airports in the event of a mechanical defect.
“It does not mean the Viva Macau B767-300 can’t fly over water, but if it does so, the aircraft must still be within 60 minutes of an available airport,” Mr Kumarasiri said.
He said this type of flying would need additional fuel and resultantly some capacity restrictions which would affect the number of passengers and amount of cargo that could be uplifted on any given trip.
Mr Kumarasiri said Air Niugini was engaging a freighter service to ferry cargo between Australia and Port Moresby.
He said currently wide-body aircraft availability was extremely limited in the international aircraft market and Air Niugini had selected the best solution available.
“Since it is Air Niugini’s duty to uphold the highest level of safety for the travelling public, a vigorous independent safety audit of the airline as well as the aircraft was conducted as part of the requirement in choosing the agreement with Viva Macau Airlines,” Mr Kumarasiri said.
He said the findings of this safety audit had been accepted by all applicable regulatory authorities of the countries to which Air Niugini operates and essentially the audit was accepted by Air Niugini’s code share partner, the Qantas.
Meanwhile, Mr Kumarasiri while apologising to the international traveling public over the recent series of rolling delays causing inconveniences said it was not due to the arrival of the Viva Macau B767-300 aircraft.
Mr Kumarasiri said the delays were due to more administrative issues relating to the introduction of the Viva Macau B767-300 aircraft into various airports and had nothing to do with mechanical defects.

tinpis
8th Sep 2007, 23:22
So the judge will do what ? Hold his breath until he turns...um..purple?

Sharpie
9th Sep 2007, 02:16
anz.qf.or whatever, nothing new at all. At least the pixies are being a little consistent, especially when they leased the 'lemon' 76 ex anz lease, from was it qf? and then left the 310 in Mojave for 12 months at some US$800,000/month until a freight operater was ready to convert same to parcel post!

Even Hitler did not take Napoleon's history into consideration when he decided to have a go at the ruskies! So I suppose why would a group of:cool: directors look back when the way is forward?

Sharpie
9th Sep 2007, 02:23
Oh how forgetful one can be. reminds me of the (westwind?) aircraft parked with sniffer dogs going crazy! I am sure that they were not on heat.:rolleyes:

Who instructed who to remove the dogs and cease further searching.

If I recall correctly, the same aircraft was lost into sea off Sydney some time later along with both pilots in an unrelated accident.

tinpis
9th Sep 2007, 02:30
If I recall correctly, the same aircraft was lost into sea off Sydney some time later along with both pilots in an unrelated accident.

22 years ago

RIP Luigi and Owey

Tmbstory
9th Sep 2007, 19:35
Good points!

It reminds me of a TV show many moons ago called "Yes Minister", a laugh a minute when a missing file is the subject.

"The art of the missing file, is to keep it missing until it turns up in a mysterious manner with a label marked priorty".

tinpis
20th Sep 2007, 05:07
Was having a yarn the other day with an old taim pnger
We were trying to recall where "Mr Walker " the kiap was based?
The fella used to sign his paperwork with a Phantom skull ring and refer to the locals as the "little people"

Another old time Sepik adventurer is still in the artifact trade (http://www.collinsstreetgallery.com/artists/profile.cfm?artist_id=32) :hmm:

Pinky the pilot
20th Sep 2007, 23:43
On a previously mentioned subject; Anyone heard anything further on the fate of the B17 last heard of slowly rotting on the wharf at Lae?

tinpis
21st Sep 2007, 00:13
Pnky...dicky bird did tell me Richard Leahy has gone pinis.

tinpis
26th Sep 2007, 01:52
Nice photos in the Pixie reunion thread thanks Sharpie and others

shnev
26th Sep 2007, 03:18
All's well up here 'pis! here's one from me trip to kokoda

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v132/150/91/727565357/n727565357_477426_5756.jpg

tinpis
26th Sep 2007, 03:54
Good one Nev :ok: hope yer replaced yer divets :E

Lucky young bugger to start off up there in a Twotter

Waghi Warrior
27th Sep 2007, 01:46
Shnev,
Great to see you didn't leave Doug out of the action,what's he looking for a wrecked Herc or is he just getting thirsty ?

Sharpie
28th Sep 2007, 09:35
:ugh:Rod Nelson was PX CEO some time back.
Time to look at PX management
IT was with much concern that I read the recent article by Kevin Pamba (“Air Niugini is a disgrace to PNG”) about the current performance of Air Niugini and the comments by former Air Niugini pilot, Capt James Makop.
Under the leadership and good governance of former chairman Joseph Tauvasa and my executive team, Air Niugini not only returned to profitability and financial viability but also improved substantially in terms of on-time performance, reliability and customer service during 2003, 2004 and 2005.
Whilst I can sympathise with Capt Makop’s comments about a lack of a timely replacement of the B767-300ER aircraft when it was returned to the lessor last month, I reject the comment that the former management has any responsibility for the current state of affairs.
At my instigation, Air Niugini established a strategy taskforce in 2004-05, comprising board members and senior executives, to address systematically the replacement of the ageing F28 fleet and to decide whether to replace the B767 at the end of its lease in last month.
A F28 re-fleeting plan was being implemented well before my departure and in 2005, I commenced discussions with the lessor of the B767 about extending the lease of the aircraft or replacing it in 2007.
My plan was to canvass options for re-leasing the B767 aircraft, to determine viable alternative aircraft becoming available and to make a recommendation to the board by July last year, providing a lead-time for a possible change of aircraft of over 12 months.
I am not aware of the reasons for the delay in acquiring a replacement aircraft.
However, I am aware of a lot of changes in the management of the airline over the past 18 months and this instability may have a bearing on the current performance of the airline.
I understand that since January last year, three general managers of engineering, the general manager of flight operations, the general manager of marketing, the senior human resources manager, the senior planning manager, the IT manager, the aviation security manager, the purchasing manager, the cargo manager, senior pilots, senior licensed engineers and other key personnel, both PNG citizens and expatriates, have left the airline.
Perhaps it is time for the PNG Government to have a look at the current leadership of the national airline, to determine why there has been such an exodus of key personnel and to take action to ensure that Air Niugini delivers efficiently the services that the people and businesses of PNG require.
Rod Nelson
Melbourne.:ugh:

Taildragger
29th Sep 2007, 00:24
Sharpie A trifle tetchy are we.? I thought by now after all these years you would have learned not to rise to the bait.!! :=

Sharpie
29th Sep 2007, 00:29
Ahhhhhhh! reminds me of the 'good old days' when waigani swamp and chimbu chuckles baited one another.

Though, as my old man used to say, 'you can catch just as many trout by tickling as with a fly!'

dogcharlietree
30th Sep 2007, 09:57
An old aviator friend of mine would like to get some photo's of Beaver VH-AAQ he flew with PATAIR in PNG.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Animalclub
2nd Oct 2007, 03:21
Caught a glimpse of an ad on ABC for the Show "Dynasties" to be aired Thursday. It's about the Leahy family. If it's not censored it should be good!!!

tinpis
2nd Oct 2007, 03:32
http://www.abc.net.au/dynasties/special.htm :ok:

HANOI
2nd Oct 2007, 07:02
..................help !!!

chimbu warrior
2nd Oct 2007, 07:44
Hanoi I would have thought you organised this help..........

Despite the gloomy outlook, the airline is getting help from Iceland with Icelandic Air agreeing to lease one of its Boeing 757 jetliners.

“To provide better customer service to international passengers, the board of Air Niugini Ltd. has approved management to secure a second aircraft for its international operations. To this effect, Air Niugini has engaged a Boeing 757 from Loftleinder Icelandic of Iceland. This company is a part of Icelandic Air,” said Kumarasiri.

The Boeing 757 is expected to arrive in PNG in early December, at about the same time when the airline is also expected to get another F-100 to add to its existing fleet.

twinjet69
3rd Oct 2007, 04:40
Great to see PX management producing further monumental eff ups!. No one can accuse them of not being consistent.:ugh:

MACH.8
3rd Oct 2007, 11:15
Does anyone in Px management really know the capability of the B757?. It is limited in range and payload for Px route structure.
767 & 757 are not the same planes except for the common type ratings. There is an AUW difference of 72 metric tonnes, assuming it has RR 535E4 engines, otherwise its 79 tonnes wt difference with RR 535C engines.!
Cant use 757 for domestic routes. Only good for POM, BNE & CNS.. it is not a cheap plane to lease.
Can anyone here see any logic..?

Chimbu chuckles
3rd Oct 2007, 11:30
Logic?

Logic is a white man's trick. (actual quote from PNG parliament question time years ago when it was televised for a short time)

HANOI
3rd Oct 2007, 23:37
twinjet69
Rather a sweeping statement if it's your first post . Can you please elaborate ?.
MACH.8
The B757 has 180 mins ETOPS and can go POM-Narita non-stop ( longest network sector ) with full pax load.
Chimbu Warrior
Actually the B757 is due in POM next week.
Just remember that , despite everything you read and hear , there are still
some dedicated and capable people in Pixie , although the circumstances are getting blary trying.

twinjet69
4th Oct 2007, 01:28
Ohhhh, Hanoi, forever the protective one, for what?, isn't it time you let go?. Maybe it was my first post, but that has no bearing on how long I have been around. If you, and I'm sure others past and present, feel a 'sterling job' has been achieved by a long successive line of PX management, then, of course you are welcome to your opinion, just as I am to mine.
I'm the first to admit, PNG is not the easiest place to do business, but why accept a position with equivalent renumeration, and then proceed to feather your own nest further.......
Also, I'm quite happy to admit that I probably couldn't do better, under the circumstances!-depends on how you read that:rolleyes:. Give you a clue where I'm coming from, aircraft purchases, aircraft leasing, staff retention, staff accommodation, engineering, to name but a few. What about just posting a decent profit, without cooking the books, after all, they do/have had a monopoly!. I'll put it back to you, detail any major successes (just financial if you like) that have originated from PX management over say, the past 15years.

chimbu warrior
4th Oct 2007, 02:05
Hanoi, I merely cut-and-pasted the B757 snippet from Pacific magazine. I am a big fan of the 757, and hope it goes well. Best looking jetliner ever.

I agree entirely with you regarding the dedication of some PX staff. It has always been the pollies that throw a spanner in the works.

troppo
4th Oct 2007, 04:47
www.thenational.com.pg

Air Niugini is a disgrace to PNG

Abrupt cancellation of flights and delays are a norm to the public who use Air Niugini.
As cancellations and delays are so rampant, everyone using Air Niugini (there is no competition in this sector) have to factor these into their travel plans. And this is not a joke.
It seems the days when flights are on schedule are gone.
Air Niugini has become so unreliable in recent weeks that the grassroots travellers must have sufficient money (preferably in cash) to avoid getting into trouble and stranded when Air Niugini suddenly cancels a flight without prior notice to say 3.30am at Jackson Airport in Port Moresby.
The cash can also be used to bribe, yes bribe, one’s way into getting a seat confirmed when on wait list or to have baggage checked in even if it is above the 16kg allowable weight per passenger.
If one is lucky, he or she will get a reliable Air Niugini staff that will help out or arrange for a courtesy service to rest at a hotel under the airline’s expense when a flight is cancelled.
If you don’t ask, they are likely to ignore you.
You can no longer expect to be at work on time on Monday morning, say in Madang, after being in Port Moresby for the weekend.
When you have an Air Niugini ticket that says you will board a flight to Madang at 5.45am on Monday from Port Moresby, and you think you will be on time for work after the one-hour flight on a F100, don’t bet on it.
Please do factor in and expect abrupt cancellations and delays as happened on Monday.
As it monopolises the major routes in the country, the airline appears unperturbed by the damage it is causing to the economy and the travelling public.
What is happening now is unacceptable.
It is affecting people across the spectrum in private and public sectors and the community at large.
People are spending their hard-earned money on airline tickets, cargo services on one of the world’s most expensive airfare structure with some of the world’s most strict conditions attached
to them, and they deserve better than what they are being put through now.
Those of us who have travelled around the world on some of the overseas airlines can compare that services of Air Niugini and frankly say that apart from the clean safety record, PNG’s national flag carrier continues be one of the most expensive and unreliable airlines around.
Former Air Niugini pilot, Capt James Makop made some startling
observations of one aspect of the national airline’s management style in a Letter to the Editor published by The National yesterday.
Capt Makop, who is now flying a Boeing 747-400 for a Chinese airliner, was concerned with the lack of timely replacement of leased aircraft by Air Niugini.
“It is absolutely amazing how the management of Air Niugini, from past to present, have appeared oblivious to the need to arrange timely aircraft replacement for incumbent leased aircraft prior to the expiry pf the Boeing 767 aircraft,” he wrote.
“For the management not to address the obvious, denotes a level of incompetence that is all the more intolerable given that such situations occurred on numerous occasions in the past.
“The public needs to be aware that the procurement of suitable replacement aircraft takes time given that airplanes are not like cars in a sales yard just waiting for clients to come along and buy them.”
Capt Makop goes on to say that “it is high time knowledgeable people in the industry are given the rein of running the airline both at the management and at board level.
“The total breakdown today speaks volume of the level of sheer incompetence and the shareholders, who happen to be the travelling public, should not have to put up with this affront,” Capt Makop wrote.
One can only hope there is no one out there who is planning to organise the public for a class action against Air Niugini for damages and losses caused by the abrupt cancellation and rescheduling of flights nationwide at present.

:ouch::ouch:

Animalclub
4th Oct 2007, 04:56
twinjet... tell us what you really think.

I had a good few years in PNG with PX (as well as TN and GV) and I reckon we did a pretty good job with all the BS and enquiries we had to go through, political interfering (O'Kuk for one) and available resources. Crikey, even the tax man went through my personal finances when I was accused by a certain Assistant GM (who subsequently went to the sand pit, I think, with Omani) of taking kick backs.

There were/are plenty of success stories... they just don't make the news.

twinjet69
4th Oct 2007, 08:13
why accept a position with equivalent renumeration, and then proceed to feather your own nest further.......
Refers to management in general!.There were/are plenty of success stories... they just don't make the news. Just a little difficult to recall one at the moment?, no surprises there......

MACH.8
4th Oct 2007, 15:34
twinjet69
Rather a sweeping statement if it's your first post . Can you please elaborate ?.
MACH.8
The B757 has 180 mins ETOPS and can go POM-Narita non-stop ( longest network sector ) with full pax load.
Chimbu Warrior
Actually the B757 is due in POM next week.
Just remember that , despite everything you read and hear , there are still
some dedicated and capable people in Pixie , although the circumstances are getting blary trying.

My friend, I draw two conclusions.
1. you are a boeing salesman or,
2. you are and have been part of PX management.

Boeing sales broucher shows a range of 3900nm (8hrs) for the 757-200.
When you factor in the mandatory reserves, contingencies, company fuel policies, ETP1D fuels etc, that number is consideribly reduced.
Are you telling me that you want to arrive in POM from any one of the asian destinations with bare minimum fuel in the tanks and find that you are unable to land due to one of the many reasons. ( way too many to list here..!)?
Cairns is 1hr 15 mins away.... rest assured you will park your 757 in bootless bay under 2000FT of water.
Now consider the fact that you may have had depresurisation 400nm out. Where is your nearest alternate airport.? Are your going to cross the ranges at 10,000FT at night.? Will you have enough fuel.?
Oh I almost forgot; 180mins ETOPS. Show me the reference and how that's going to fix PX's problems.
Narita RWY is TOW limited so please show me that math how the B757 can help PX's payload problem.
I do apologize for being straight forward but your postings are in line with the PX managements' line of thinking. (former & current)
Bite me!

MACH.85

HANOI
6th Oct 2007, 01:03
twinjet69
No , not "forever the protective one". Have only been back a few months after a seventeen year absence . I have not said I feel management has done a "sterling" job. I am only talking about the most recent problem which resulted in much bad press . The leased Viva Macau B767 shed all sorts of bits from a thrust reverser on landing BNE last Friday. QF had some bits but the cover had to come from Lufthansa-Technik in Shenzen , China . It would not fit on a pax aircraft and had to wait for a CX Freighter. Altogether the B767 was AOG for five days . Much effort was put in by some people trying to arrange alternative uplift of booked pax and cargo to/from SYD/BNE plus SIN/MNL/HKG etc.
I am only responding to your comment about "PX management producing further monumental eff ups", which I felt was unfair given the circumstances.
I do not defend management decisions of the last 15 years.
Re "equivalent renumeration (sic)" , I am not here to "feather my own nest" and people who know me would know that.
In fact , just lately, I have stood in Boroko FoodWorld Supermarket pondering whether I should buy another packet of breakfast muesli
MACH.8
Not a Boeing salesman ( wouldn't mind the commissions ).
Yes , after 52 years in the industry and total 20 years in PNG in various tours , I am one part of PX management that wants to try and keep the show on the road but it is becoming blary difficult.
Good questions on the B757.
The Icelandair team ,( their professionalism is frightening ), have assured us of the capabilities of their aircraft on the PX network , however I will put your questions to them and see what their response is.

twinjet69
6th Oct 2007, 02:16
Hanoi, didn't realise you were back, good luck, you'll need it. After re-reading my post, I concluded that "equivalent renumeration, I am not here to feather my own nest" sounded personal, it was never meant as such, and the correction is listed.
Well I certainly don't think anyone has proven my original statement incorrect.

tinpis
6th Oct 2007, 02:25
Blimey,the Dero on a Friday must look like an old folks home? :hmm:

Chimbu chuckles
6th Oct 2007, 03:02
The Dero doesn't exist anymore...there is however a tin shed at the other end of the airfeld that pretends.

It is no surprise that PX suffers as currently...PX has always been a microcosym of PNG itself.

I have heard from several sources recently that most of the bush strips we used to work are now overgrown and abandoned. How can a Govt ignore the isolatation such a high % of the countries population and grass roots economy?

tinpis
6th Oct 2007, 21:07
The Dero..gorn?? :{

http://angreunion.freehostia.com/pxpeople/cc021oldaeroclubmaggiecoustonmartinedenormsellen.jpg

Have a look at the photos on Sharpies PX reunion thread

Taildragger
7th Oct 2007, 00:58
Tinnie...
The Dero has indeed gorn the way of all flesh. I have shed a lot of money there (And a wee bit of Blood to) on many a happy occasion.

Hey Mach .85 - 757 in 2000 ft of water in Bootless.??? Shake the the Buai out of yer Sonar and swing a lead and line over the side, look at the charts and check again.

Twinjet69. You asked Hanoi to detail any major successes by PX Management over the past, say 15 years.??? OK, here's a major one....Dieter Seefeld keeping Pixie afloat and keepeing every man jack in the airline in employment whilst he was there. He kept the Pollies at bay and turned the airline into a pretty decent profit making outfit. He was probably one of the best, if not THE best CEO we had. That, in my book, is a major achievement. I don't think the management team of those days have anything to apologise for including Hanoi. It would be interesting to know what YOUR contribution to Air Niugini was in the past.

Pinky the pilot
7th Oct 2007, 03:54
I have heard from several sources recently that most of the bush strips we used to work are now overgrown and abandoned. How can a Govt ignore the isolatation such a high % of the countries population and grass roots economy?

:{:{:{:{:{:{:{:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Chuckles I've heard the same thing myself; my opinion is stated above.
But really gets my ire going is the knowlege that whilst the 'grass roots' economy suffers as they are, the Political 'elite' (I use the term in a sarcastic manner) continue to line their pockets at the expense of the Australian taxpayer.:ugh:

I have mentioned it in previous posts but even back in the early 90s when I regularly did the 'dawn patrol' out to the Jungles I was often asked by some of the elderly villagers....
''When taim bilong Masta come back?''
A pity it never will.

INTERESTED BYSTANDER
7th Oct 2007, 03:56
I think maybe the inadequacies in the operation of Air New Guinea may not altogether be the shortage of enough suitable aircraft. If the facts are checked I am led to understand that they cannot obtain enough suitably qualified pilots to fly the aircraft they have.
I am surprised at the shortage of pilots given the fact that they are not expected to pay for endorsements, are provided with excellent accommodation and receive remuneration that compares more than favourably with most of the operators in Australia. Having a close family member who has been employed by the company for the last 6 months I know this as fact.

dirtysidedown
7th Oct 2007, 12:12
757, that IS something to chuckle about.

INTERESTED BYSTANDER
7th Oct 2007, 21:53
I was not necessarily referring to the 757 but the company performance as a whole. I don't agree with all the derogatory comments made regarding this company as I believe one should speak as one finds. Having close contact with a pilot who has been employed in the industry for 20 years+, 11 of those years with other companies in PNG I wanted to provide some positive feedback about the company which seems to be getting so much rubbishing publicity on this site lately and very rarely any positive which I think is only fair. Many companies in Australia could take a leaf out of ANGs book when it comes to the way they treat their pilots.
Over to the next sarcastic remark.

dwarfhunter
8th Oct 2007, 06:46
This afternoon, Air Niugini's CEO was found outside the boardroom stabbed 15 times in the back. Justice liklikpella said " It's the worst case of suicide I have seen for years."

tinpis
10th Oct 2007, 21:57
Anyone know the story on Agwagon P2-JXG sitting at Gusap?

Sharpie
17th Oct 2007, 09:01
Ask Sir Ray Thurecht.

Could be in UK meeting missus Kwin to be tapped with silver sword!:)

tinpis
17th Oct 2007, 20:32
I would swear it was painted in the old TAL colours.....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/GusapstripP2-JXG008.jpg

rjtjrt
27th Oct 2007, 23:38
Can anyone of you old hands help with this thread about high altitude take off technique?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=297997

troppo
28th Oct 2007, 10:05
Lean it balls to the wall n pucker up.drift down is a good thing

OzExpat
1st Nov 2007, 15:32
G'day Chuck,

Things have changed quite a bit in the last few years. All the bush strips now belong to the local village or church or whatever. Government/CAA no longer responsible. If the owners do the maintenance, they get an air service - if not, they don't.

I was told by APNG, quite some years ago, that they began suspending services on un-maintained strips because they couldn't justify the replacement cost of a Twotter, if written off on take-off/landing due to the increasingly likely situation of an overly shabby surface. Other operators, including MAF, have followed suit.

tinpis
1st Nov 2007, 21:41
Shame,there was some immaculate gardening in the olden daze.
Anyone remember this place I cant recall going in there but believe it had a fearsome rep for winds and tricky bits?

http://www.exkiap.net/photographs/locations/eastern_highlands/wonenara1965_psal_02.jpghttp://www.exkiap.net/photographs/locations/eastern_highlands/wonenara1965_psal_01.jpg

HANOI
2nd Nov 2007, 00:37
Just a reminder , tomorrow Saturday 3 November is " Luciano Cragnolini " day , a man amongst men !.
Can we please have some of the stories and tok-tok from the Pixie reunion in Caloundra last night. Looking at the guest list there would have to be some rippers.

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Nov 2007, 02:54
Yep been to Wonenara lots of times...I don't remember it being worse than other 'garden spots'...or better.

Why am I not surprised the Govt would abrogate it's responsibilities like that?

Luciano and the Gunfight at the Cathay Club...yup a Man among men....actually more like the Cathay Club shooting gallery...BANG, ding...bang, bang...ding, ding.:}

I didn't get to the Pixie Reunion....6mthly sim recurrent on the last two days before leave started yesterday...a quite dinner at the yachty with daughter instead.

TAU MATAMATA
2nd Nov 2007, 03:03
HANOI,

WHILST MOST APPLAUDED lUCIANO'S ACTIONS THAT DAY,BRINGING IT UP IN PRUNE MIGHT NOT BE SUCH A GOOD IDEA.AS YOU KNOW PEOPLE IN PNG FOSTER LONG MEMORIES WHERE PAYBACK IS CONCERNED.AS IT WAS, lUCIANO HAD TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY FOR SOME TIME AFTER THE SHOOTOUT TILL THINGS SETTLED DOWN.

Torres
5th Nov 2007, 11:17
Sky News this evening reports that Police searches have failed to find any relatives for Al Bovelt, who died some time ago in Melbourne.

As a result he will be buried as a pauper in an unmarked grave.

How sad an ending for a man and a friend that contributed so much to AAPNG and PNG aviation!!!!

Surely there is something we can do?

Torres
5th Nov 2007, 11:20
Sir Ray Thurecht. Since when?

Geezus. I need to buy more packets of Weetbix!!!!

Torres
7th Nov 2007, 05:11
Just received the following email:

Les Gillies passed away in his hometown of Temora, NSW yesterday (Tuesday, November 7, 2007) at approx 11.30am (NSW time).

His Funeral will be at the Temora Catholic Church on Friday 9th November at 2pm.

A Memorial Service will be held in Brisbane in 2 - 3 Weeks. Details will be confirmed over the next few days.

There will be Memorial Service for Les at the Goroka Aero Club on Friday, 9 November at 5 pm.

A memorial plaque for him at the Club is also been organised

Geezus, there goes another of the old hands. Les was a funny bugga! Many will remember Les, Merve and Sparra' in Goroka!

Torres
8th Nov 2007, 09:20
Sky News tonight:

Al Bovelt's sister has been located in New Zealand and family will attend his funeral. A funeral home in Sydney has offered free funeral services.

His ashes are to be scattered from a DC3.

He was 78 years old.

Sharpie
9th Nov 2007, 05:19
Yes Hanoi, your absense was noted.
It was a great Do what I recall of it. Many started off around 12 noon just to get the tonsils in good working order by gathering around the swimming pool bar.

The gathering like Topsy grew and just grew to the stage where Billy Moore supplied free drinks and eaties until all were suitably primed for the main event.

Attendees from days of yore were many. Far too many to spend sufficient time with each and glean the latest news.

Pixies first GM Ralph Conley and Wing Commander John Kessey were the guest speakers and remarkably enough, both were provided an uninterrupted time. A really great evening that sadly was not organised to continue past breakfast the following day.(Some retired around 04.45!).

I wait on the leading SkyLand News scribe and photographer Alky to provide material suitable for posting on the web.

The general concensus was for a follow-up reunion in 2009 or 2010, but with a dinner on a Friday followed by a general get together and barbecue on the Saturday where all could mingle dripping tomato sauce on the flipflops. Methinks that Captain Bill Moore who did an excellent job this time will leap into the fray from early December 2007 and start the ball rolling!

Keep looking at angreunion.com.nr

Fris B. Fairing
16th Nov 2007, 00:46
To all Allan’s friends and relatives, please be advised that details of his funeral are as below :
Date : Monday, November 19, 2007
Location : The *Main Crematorium, West Chapel, Rookwood Cemetery
Time : 3.30pm
Funeral Service : Euro Funerals (who are kindly offering their service free of charge)
* There are 2 Crematoriums at Rookwood. One is the Catholic Crematorium, the other is known as the Main Crematorium. The latter is where Allan’s funeral will take place.
Please pass on these details to any known friend of Allan’s or anyone from the aviation fraternity interested in attending.
Most of you will know that with the permission of Discovery Air Tours and Chief Pilot Jack Curtis, I intended to scatter Allan’s ashes from a DC3 shortly after the funeral.
Regretfully the aircraft in question, VH-DNA, blew an engine in flight while on parachute dropping operations. However, Rebecca, a grand niece of Allan’s has promised to take care of his ashes until such time as VH-DNA is repaired.
Kind regards and hope to see you all at the funeral. I will post a tribute to Allan on the Museum web site (www.aamb.com.au (http://www.aamb.com.au)) later today.
Trevor Dean
Curator
Australian Aviation Museum
http://www.aamb.com.au

bulolobob
17th Nov 2007, 07:22
There is an interesting discussion going on at this site http://exkiap.net/index.htm - under the General Tab about happenings in the old PNG DC3 Days. A couple of extract are pasted below (names changed to protect the guilty!)
Probably from about the time Tinpis and Sharpie arrived up there :)
Finentigu Airstrip EHD
Can anyone throw any light on a story about the old airstrip at Finentigu in the Eastern Highlands somewhere near Goroka. I was told it was an old Dragon strip that proved even too small for Cessna's and had been closed for some time in the late 50's or early 60's.
As I have it from an 'unimpeachable, exkiap source', a RAAF DC3 was flying a group of RAAF VIP 'brass' into Goroka around that time. A second DC3 was following as a back up plane with spare parts for RAAF VIP flight.
As is usually the case, the clouds came down in the afternoon when the second DC3 reported he had Goroka in sight and was commencing his 'final' approach. DCA confirmed wind speed, direction and information about other traffic in the area and invited the plane to land. Down came the wheels and after landing, the pilot reported he was safely on the ground at Goroka. DCA then informed him that there was good news and bad news. The good news was he was safe. The bad news was he wasn't sitting on Goroka airstrip.
Disembarking, the pilot enquired where he was to be informed "Finentigu"! The pilot then radioed that he was about to take off and fly to Goroka and was told in no uncertain terms, "Stop where you are!" Apparently after a lot of work in dismantling and removing everything that was not necessary to actually fly the aircraft, they attempted to fly the DC3 out however the river stones that they laid out to extend the strip were wet and on the first attempt, the wheels skidded and the plane couldn't take off and almost crashed. After a few days, the strip dried out and they actually did get the aircraft to fly out however the stigma against the RAAF was still hanging around for some time.
As the story has it, enter a Mr PMG who had turned up for the Goroka Show. According to my 'source', he was reportedly a liklik kiap for about a month before becoming didiman in the highlands (Minj/Banz). Late the night before the Show, he and a mate decided it would be a good stir to give 'Ronnie RAAF' a bit of a fright.
He and his mate climbed up on top of the sole aircraft hanger at Goroka with a paint pot and painted in large letters, FINENTIGU on the roof of the hanger. Later on that day, all aircraft (including some RAAF aircraft) were reporting to DCA that they had successfully landed at Finentigu airstrip.
Needless to say, the authorities were not amused and Mr. PMG had to front the DC over the matter. As a penalty, so I am told, he was made to remove paint from the hanger roof and never did get to see the Show.
Finschafen - Morobe Province
Haven't heard that one, but in late '68 or early 69 there was a "fly in" to Finschhafen by the Aero club including an overnight. The party included some who were on a TAA DC3 charter.
That night in the Golf Club, there was much boasting about the stol characteristics of the DC3 to the point a challenge was laid.
The following morning we all headed to the airstrip. The DC3 taxied to the end of the strip, faced into the wind and revved **** out of the engines. Before it had gone a few feet its tail rose high in the air . Nose down it trundled down the strip until at about the 400 foot marker, the second cone, it was airborne. Maintaining the nose down attitude, it went several hundred more feet a few feet above the deck before suddenly it rose sharply and climbed into an altitude were it did several circuits before landing again.
If I hadn't seen it I would never have believed it until years later when speaking to my father in law who was an Air Niugini DC3 pilot who confirmed its stol ability.
I have a funny feeling there could be some truth in these rumours! Any comments?
Cheers
BB

tinpis
17th Nov 2007, 09:42
FINENTIGU
yes I can remember something about that
FINENTIGU I recall was still there in 1970
If anyone finds Max Parker he will be able to tell you the story
In fact I dont know why someone hasnt found Maxy and sat him down with a bottle of Gin and a tape recorder
The stuff that would come out would be a bestseller !

Myself and Im sure Sharpie would concur we is just lads compared to the Adventures of Parker

Torres
17th Nov 2007, 09:57
"FINENTIGU" was painted on the roof of the Goroka Bellman hangar well before Maxy arrived!

It was probably around 1956 and the perpetrators were Les and Merv Gillies, for which they were charged and fined.

Bobby Gibbes tried to buy the aircraft "as is - where is" for around 800 quid, using his old mates in the RAAF, which, together with the incident on the first attempt to fly it out, caused considerable loss of face in the RAAF.

Perhaps Fris can identify the actual aircraft and what happened to it, from his DC3 records?

Tinnie. We all getting old.... :{ Parker is not that much older than the rest of us - I think he is around 73?

tinpis
17th Nov 2007, 10:02
I would almost claim that I can remember Finentegu being a faded paint mark on the old hanger in the early 70s
Some very senior Qwanas captains that read in here may say Im wrong

Fris B. Fairing
18th Nov 2007, 09:10
Torres
Perhaps Fris can identify the actual aircraft and what happened to it, from his DC3 records?
Sorry to disappoint. Al Bovelt would have known off the top of his head.
Regards

tinpis
19th Nov 2007, 04:27
Port Morbid this am apparently BE200 hijacked and made to fly to island .Pilots stripped of clothes and robbed.Payroll and personals robbed from airline office Plod are holding a few raskols.
TLOTU http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cannibal.gifhttp://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cannibal.gifhttp://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cannibal.gif

tinpis
19th Nov 2007, 05:57
http://www.maf-germany.de/reports/200201.pdf

Captain Nomad
19th Nov 2007, 10:00
It was actually a C90 KingAir - that narrows it down a bit as there are only two of those flying in the country at the moment! :O

Glad to hear the boys are okay - had me mystified listening to the Police chopper on the radio as I flew in and out of Moresby today. Only heard more of the details when I got back to base.

Methinks it's an inside job... In other words, 'security' doesn't always mean you're safe...:E (Personal views only but those who have been here will know what I mean re some of those real professional looking guys...!)

Pseudonymn
19th Nov 2007, 10:24
http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/PNG-police-foil-attempted-heist/2007/11/19/1195321695445.html

OzExpat
20th Nov 2007, 11:57
The front page photo in this morning's Pos Guria merely confirmed my suspicions about the operator of the said C-90. They guys did a bloody good job in the circumstances and their efforts led to the recovery of ALL the money. That's gotta be a first for PNG eh?

And, yes, it HAD to be an "inside job" and the bank in question has to answer a LOT of awkward questions, I reckon.

Sharpie
1st Dec 2007, 23:41
NZ HERALD 2 December 07.
Six NZ executives arrested at Brisbane airport
11:10AM Sunday December 02, 2007
Six New Zealand company executives have been arrested at Brisbane Airport on charges of disorderly conduct on an international flight.
The men, aged 23 to 27, appeared at Brisbane Magistrates Court yesterday morning each charged with offensive and disorderly behaviour on an Air New Guinea flight from Port Moresby, where they work for a mobile phone company, the Courier Mail newspaper reported.
The men were arrested late on Friday by Australian Customs officers acting on a radioed complaint from crew on the international flight.
Four were detained on arrival. Two others cleared Customs, but were arrested when they returned to inquire about their friends.
- NZPA

It appears that disorderly conduct problem on Pixie may be self-correcting in the near future. If the current cook's tour of europe does not produce an etops 767 in a hurry, then pixie may not have to worry about pax indulging their fine cabin service!

No plane, no cabin service, no drinks, no disorderly pax. Hmmmn.

HANOI
2nd Dec 2007, 00:04
Yesterday , at the top of the street where my apartment is located , inside the Airways Hotel complex ,Police took on four "raskols" , result , two shot dead , one wounded , one escaped.
Getting a bit close to home.

OzExpat
2nd Dec 2007, 11:26
Yesterday? :eek:
Damned if I heard any of the commotion. :ooh:

I was a recent statistic in the category of attempted car-jacking a few weeks ago but, of course, that wasn't within the Airways/Oasis complex.

NewZealand2
3rd Dec 2007, 02:34
Sharpie.

They have decided on an A310 from TAP. 5mnth lease. This will do the asian routes, and the 757 will operate to brisbane..pending regulatory approval.

On a side note, PX will now be getting V8-RBK not -RBG from royal brunei.

Torres
3rd Dec 2007, 03:08
Hanoi.

You're a masochist for even being there! :hmm:

The good days are gone forever and whilst the Government may think it currently has very tenuous control, a total failure of civil law and order seems inevitable at some time in the not too distant future.

Sharpie
3rd Dec 2007, 06:58
NZ Rua!
Great news that I will not have to forego a few more free SP's when on Pixie.
Any feedback on that from the redrat who demanded that the last 310 be put in the desert with the lease still running and that pixie HAD to operate a 767?

So Chuckles gets back to POM overnights eh?

Sharpie
3rd Dec 2007, 07:02
Hanoi!

Sorry to hear about that. I s'pose you will be issued flakjackets next! I'll have to come back up and give yoy a bit of support. At least my ex security manager gari baki is blowing them away; saves feeding them for years or until they bust-out again.

Hey Ozexpat! I was unaware that you are residing in the Oasis. How long you been there?

Bamahuta.:)

Jabawocky
3rd Dec 2007, 07:20
Is that one rated for doing aero's?:E

J:ok:

MACH.8
5th Dec 2007, 08:22
Hmmm,
First it was the B757, then its back to the old Bus.
The B757 is sitting on the tarmac at POM doing nothing at the moment because people who were responsible for its lease overlooked or simply did not know the performance & the Regulatory Requirements pertaining to the operation of the B757. Simple as that. No excuses.
Good old A310 will probably do half as good a job of the B767, but at what cost..??.
Surely a few heads must roll for these basic fundamental f@#$ups.

OzExpat
5th Dec 2007, 12:42
Hey Ozexpat! I was unaware that you are residing in the Oasis. How long you been there?
Only since October 1996 Sharpie, when it was all part of the Airways Hotel. The only thing that's changed in all that time is the apartment numbering system - and that happened when they built the new hotel section...

Duck Pilot
6th Dec 2007, 03:44
Ozexpat/Hanoi,
Unrelated question ?
Any of you guys checked the new gym out at the Airways,if so is it any good and worth 3 grand membership a year,or is the yatchie still a better option.

Emtasol !

OzExpat
6th Dec 2007, 10:59
3 grand membership a year
There's NOTHING here worth THAT much! :eek:

Pinky the pilot
7th Dec 2007, 16:14
I was a recent statistic in the category of attempted car-jacking a few weeks ago

Care to elaborate on that Ozmate?

OzExpat
9th Dec 2007, 04:38
There's not a lot more to say about it Pinky. Just typical of this place - as Christmas approaches, criminal activity increases. It's just a normal part of the lead-up to the annual festive criminal season.

Pinky the pilot
10th Dec 2007, 05:24
Roger that Ozexpat; Sounds like situation normal.:mad: I just note that you said that it was an 'attempted hijack.' So the ******** did'nt get the car then!

OzExpat
11th Dec 2007, 12:52
No it was just an attempted car-jack.
They probably wouldn't have wanted the damned thing after the damage that they caused...

NewZealand2
13th Dec 2007, 01:44
Qantas has refused for its pax to fly on the A310 while it operates the aussy routes for a week or so, and therefore the OzJet 732 will take QF pax.

The 757 will take over the aussy routes in a week or so if/when it gets approval from CASA. Then, the A310 will do the asian routes.

cnic
13th Dec 2007, 05:58
I believe that the OZjet aircraft is no other then the APNG plane. Also I hear that the paint work on the A310 has unset a few polititians in Moresby, I have heard that the wording on the plane could be seen as offensive. Can anyone enlighten us on the details?

Sharpie
13th Dec 2007, 11:28
Aoteroa-RUA.

Sad but it appears that a few are stuck with their fetlocks in the quagmire and can not move too quickly.

Why can not the redrat provide one of their aircraft as code-sharer to keep pax happy:rolleyes:?

troppo
14th Dec 2007, 11:06
bawhahahaha
i thought i had seen it all
http://www.postcourier.com.pg/images/airbus-310_p1.gif
:D:D:D:D

tinpis
14th Dec 2007, 18:20
"Can you give me a lift home in the white jet wantok?"

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200712/r211192_811179.jpg

OzExpat
15th Dec 2007, 03:11
I am compelled to wonder about the significance of the differences between the country identification in that pic. Why, f'rinstance is the sign for Australia bigger than the ones for PNG and Malaysia and why is it the only one to have a white background? :ooh:

Sharpie
15th Dec 2007, 20:20
with the name background and a ruddy complexion, as well as the a310, is whitey back in town! Nothing a quick spray-over will not fix.

TAU MATAMATA
15th Dec 2007, 21:25
While it's good to see Michael Somare at Bali,how long since he drove behind a Moresby PMV under load,doing it's bit for carbon emmissions.

NewZealand2
16th Dec 2007, 00:05
Click HERE for a picture of the A310 with Air Niugini decals (http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=nav2&picid=4290)

Sharpie
16th Dec 2007, 00:17
Maybe the A310 turned up at the right time and I can invisage a new corporate song over the PA, an evergreen sung by the late Bing Crosby!:ok:

OzExpat
17th Dec 2007, 11:02
Thanks NewZealand2. It looks like the groundies had their last smoko break adjacent to the nosewheel, so it's not totally white! :}

Sharpie... funny you should say that! Just about every shop around Port Morbid that's been playing Christmas music for the past month has always played that particular song. Make you wonder, eh? :E

Sharpie
17th Dec 2007, 11:14
Yeah Ozzie!

and I thought that it would be really blari funny if the good old in-flight Mag was replaced by "Black and White" from days of yore! (with apology the the great Luke Sela and fellow publishers of that era.)

blakkekatte
17th Dec 2007, 22:02
I am compelled to wonder about the significance of the differences between the country identification in that pic. Why, f'rinstance is the sign for Australia bigger than the ones for PNG and Malaysia and why is it the only one to have a white background?

Australia was chairing the meeting

Maxii
20th Dec 2007, 09:31
Happy Xmas to all.
Thank you for the early posts, was kuskus with MAL 1961 to 70, Lae then Madang and can relate to many of the stories of that era. Keep them coming, and thanks for the great memories.

yerex
20th Dec 2007, 19:55
Good on yer Max, I remember you well, I was DC3 F/O in 69 at MAG. I see Klatters, Stu F. & Gus K occasionally. We will never see the relaxed enjoyable comraderie of that era in today's animal world. I'm still flying, and unlike some, still poor. I am away for a couple of months but will get your PM address when I get back.

tinpis
21st Dec 2007, 03:03
All those years ago when we got Gurias regularly in Madang and one ripper that flattened some of the shopping centre and hosties flats
I dont ever remember anyone ever talk about Tsunamis tho?
Gawd Madang would have been drowned.

OzExpat
21st Dec 2007, 06:22
with apology the the great Luke Sela and fellow publishers of that era
That would be the late, great Luke Sela. :(

Sharpie
21st Dec 2007, 13:03
Yes, Oze. the late Luke Sela who on the odd occasion brought me Coconut Crabs from Manus. A great little guy who was reporter or editor of the infamous B&W mag of the 60's-70's. before it was closed down for taking the mickey out of anything or anyone, moving or not.

Those mags would be valuable collectors items now. I wonder if anyone out there will scan the odd copy and send to me.

Hepi Krismas Oli!

troppo
22nd Dec 2007, 05:35
So all you boys in lae remember next time you are passing the PO and asking yu lukim how maspela Santa they are infact a year older so you should be ok.

tinpis
23rd Dec 2007, 03:43
Got me slide scanner working again
got lots of lapun slides from 70s all a bit faded now like all of us :uhoh:
GKT TURBO :eek:207 Mendi 1971 not long before it died
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/GKT.jpg

Torres
27th Dec 2007, 22:42
Received an email this morning advising Ron Buchanan passed away on Christmas Eve.

I last saw Ron at the Talair reunion.

Very sad indeed.

Chimbu chuckles
28th Dec 2007, 00:44
Yup...I'm in Sydney on a trip and got the news this morning from Guy K.

I am just numb with shock...we'll be drinking to his memory and the good times this afternoon.

Ron was one of the good guys...a genuinely talented and funny human being.

http://www.fototime.com/{857BCAB8-7DAD-449E-BBAF-FF808D4262C9}/picture.JPG
RIP old mate.:(

Cried Havoc
28th Dec 2007, 07:35
So bloody sad to hear of Ron's passing. Such a great mate.
My memory will have to be the night Ron was thrown out of the Dero for converting a 2 kina note into two 1 kina coins.
A true magician.
Lukim yu.

Would appreciate if anyone can foward funeral arrangements. Thanks.

chimbu warrior
28th Dec 2007, 08:44
I am devastated,,,,,,,,the "snap frozen yank" is with us no more......the man who put Chilliwack on the map, and brought night life to Kerema.

Taken before his time..............certainly, but we are all richer for having known him, and will always remember his sense of humour.

He has already flown low amongst the fires of hell, so will surely be soaring with the angels now.

We will not forget you.

Animalclub
28th Dec 2007, 23:39
Sharpie

There is a complete set of Black & White Magazines held by the National Library of PNG... but you cannot read them unless it is for "research" due to their so called "racist" tone!!

tinpis
28th Dec 2007, 23:59
but you cannot read them unless it is for "research" due to their so called "racist" tone!!

And no rolling around the floor laffin' http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/laughatu.gif

Sharpie
29th Dec 2007, 05:34
Many thanks for that info re Black & White. Next time I am in town, I'll have to ask dear Betty W if she'll be kind enough to give me free access for research purposes only of course.

And will skoal a few San Migs for dear old ron as well this arfo.

Haere Ra!

tail wheel
4th Jan 2008, 05:31
I received a PM from PPRuNe User "VH-BCY" who has acquired a Helio Courier registered VH-LIW.

Of course, it was not difficult to guess which Helio Courier he acquired......

He suggested it came from PNG in the early 1990's and:

"Yes my Courier is EX P2-BOX. I would like to know some of it's previous adventures as it is such a fun machine to fly."

I'm sure many here would be very familiar with the aircraft. Any comments? Anyone know how and when it arrived in PNG? (I had the feeling it was originally a Mission aircraft?)

Tail Wheel

Chimbu chuckles
4th Jan 2008, 05:55
He should ask the previous owner about a certain video that was taken during his type checkout (with me).:E

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Jan 2008, 06:02
Helio Courier performing at Oshkosh in 1999. Looks like a fun bit of kit!

Dr :8

http://www.fototime.com/9C56977EB23678C/conv.wmv

2 Dogs
4th Jan 2008, 09:59
VH-FRB Helio H-250 Courier MkII, c/n 2540 ex N6330V
Registered 27.01.1967 to Franciscan Mission, Aitape.
To P2-FRB 14.11.1974.
Crashed 28.05.1976 at Mount Hagen.
Restored and re-registered as P2-BOX (I do not have date), was with PNG Aviation Services P/L, Boroko.
Sold and registered to E. H. Mills, Gladstone, Tasmania as VH-LIW on 27.11.1990.

I believe the Hagen "crash" was actually a ground loop on take-off performed by a QF cadet cum ATC who was working in Hagen at the time.

Maxii
4th Jan 2008, 11:05
Have Vol. 1 No.13 & Vol. 2 No. 6:ugh:

Chimbu chuckles
5th Jan 2008, 08:02
Some great pictures here showing off some of the Helio Couriers interesting design features. Certainly one of the more unusual and fun aircraft I have been lucky enough to fly.

http://www.sbavia.com/detail.htm

Click on Obituaries here and type in Ronnie's last name and see the very moving obituary and all the lovely messages left by many of his friends world wide.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/index.html

His passing effects me more than I seem to be able to get my head around.

Chimbu chuckles
5th Jan 2008, 15:56
I have managed to establish two way comms with Hew Mills who bought P2-BOX/VH-LIW from Yorke...he sounds like he has had 16 fun years taken it places 99% of fixed wing aircraft are excluded from before selling it on 18mths ago...I have invited him to contribute.

Waghi Warrior
15th Jan 2008, 22:02
Good luck to the well know Air Niugini Pilot who got married in Mt Hagen on Saterday. From what I hear the wedding was one of the biggest (For all the good reasons) Mt Hagen has seen for some years, especially involving an expat.

:ok::ok:

Sharpie
16th Jan 2008, 02:35
was the septum pierced for the event, or will that come later?:)

Pinky the pilot
16th Jan 2008, 03:50
What was the 'Bride price?':}

I got married in the Douglas Pilots 'mansion' in 1990 and had to negotiate a bride price with the late Dennis Douglas, who gave the bride away!!:uhoh:

Mrs Pinky cost me two pigs and two raw stuffed chooks!!:E

DingoMuddy
16th Jan 2008, 06:21
I hear the long-awaited replacement 767 for P2-ANG from RBA is now a dead deal with RBA walking away. What a fiasco. Surely some heads must roll with the CEO being the first to get chopped, closely followed by the Chair. :uhoh:

This is a joke of monumental proportions and clearly displays the gross incompetence of those involved. What are all the current 76 crews doing with no aircraft for the past 5 months, and who knows how long before a replacement arrives now??? :O :confused:

The PM will not be happy. Who knows what he has missed out on? :uhoh::ouch:

tinpis
21st Jan 2008, 20:10
Hope you dont have to put an Evinrude on the back of the E-type Torres :}

Heres a 1979 shot of waiting for the morning smok to clear at GKA
That Phils Thorpe ?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/thorp.jpg

And an old girl waiting for a new set of Cranky Franky oil leakers :}

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/402a.jpg

INTERESTED BYSTANDER
21st Jan 2008, 21:17
Being closely related to the groom at the Mt Hagen wedding on 12 January I thank Waghi Warrior for making mention of what has been one of the most amazing experiences of my family's lives.
The bride is the most wonderful, honest, thoughtful lady we could ever hope to have as a member of our family. We will never forget the welcome we received into her family and the people of the village and we look forward to making many more visits in the future.
We are so honoured to be accepted into the family.

Sharpie
22nd Jan 2008, 03:02
:rolleyes:So sad, so very sad, more so when one sees new arrivals F100 and D8-300 (weeks ago) sitting down nutting waiting on crew. It appears that maybe not too many experienced crew available these days.:ugh:

DingoMuddy
22nd Jan 2008, 05:59
Perhaps experienced crew not available, perhaps not prepared to work for such inept management. Planning is inadequate, decision making questionable at best, resulting in crews always being under pressure, being prevailed upon and given little thanks at the end of the day....me thinks? People will tolerate certain things for only so long, chaos being just one of those things.:sad:

It all starts at the top. No airline experience, a major chip on his shoulder, only wants to appease the pollies, and frankly way out of his depth. Soon we'll have Sir Wanka from Sri Lanka! :{

HANOI
23rd Jan 2008, 02:27
Stood in Boroko Foodworld contemplating the breakfast muesli shelf . Decided not to buy another packet . One can only take so much . St Paddy's day looking good for a return to sanity.

tinpis
23rd Jan 2008, 03:24
Someone used a Chook to get their bongo back to GKA 1979

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/bongo.jpg

Is that Hellyadore von Schutstik on the right?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/bongogka.jpg

Ian Tindale photos BTW

HANOI
23rd Jan 2008, 03:37
Probably asking his famous question , " Who vill pay for zis ".

Is that Ray Williams in the red shirt ?.

DingoMuddy
23rd Jan 2008, 07:27
Sorry to hear that news coming on top of the long list of notable departures over the past 6 months and more. Should raise many questions, but obviously the Board is oblivious, or really are they? What's that chinese saying - foo tjeong dung?

Will your replacement be a Muralidaran or a Sangakara or a Ramatungadownyrthroata? Who is the new Finance man?

Why is Viva Macau back in town?

DM

tinpis
23rd Jan 2008, 09:38
Looks a bit too fit fer Helly...