PDA

View Full Version : question about right of way on the ground

skate
17th Nov 2004, 06:58
Hello,

Although I don't post many topics, is there someone out there who can answer my question?
I am looking for the source where is stated who has the right of way on the ground. I already received ennex 2- Rules of the air 3.2.2.7.1 where the surfaces movement of aircraft regarding right of way is laid down. However, this article only speaks about aircrafts and I'd like to know where an aircraft under tow fits in.
Can anyone tell me where I can find the priority for aircraft under own power and aircraft under tow?

Thanks anyway,

skate

Hurn-ia
17th Nov 2004, 07:27
vehicles and other aircraft give way to aircraft under tow, that's my understanding

TheOddOne
17th Nov 2004, 07:50
It's worth taking 10 minutes out to read this AAIB acident report:

Ground towing accident Heathrow (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_avsafety/documents/page/dft_avsafety_032603.hcsp)

It will at least serve so show that there's no simple answer.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Razors Edge
18th Nov 2004, 11:49
Taken from CAP393 UK AIP...

Section 2 Page 22

Right of way on the ground Rule 37

(1) This rule shall apply to flying machines and vehicles on any part of a land aerodrome
provided for the use of aircraft and under the control of the person in charge of the
aerodrome.

(2) Notwithstanding any air traffic control clearance it shall remain the duty of the
commander of an aircraft to take all possible measures to ensure that his aircraft does
not collide with any other aircraft or with any vehicle.

(3) (a) Flying machines and vehicles shall give way to aircraft which are taking off or
landing.
(b) Vehicles, and flying machines which are not taking off or landing, shall give way
to vehicles towing aircraft.
(c) Vehicles which are not towing aircraft shall give way to aircraft.

(4) Subject to the provisions of paragraph (3) and of rule 17(7)(c), in case of danger of
collision between two flying machines:
(a) when the two flying machines are approaching head-on or approximately so,
each shall alter its course to the right;
(b) when the two flying machines are on converging courses, the one which has the
other on its right shall give way to the other and shall avoid crossing ahead of the
other unless passing well clear of it;
(c) a flying machine which is being overtaken shall have the right-of-way, and the
overtaking flying machine shall keep out of the way of the other flying machine
by altering its course to the left until that other flying machine has been passed
and is clear, notwithstanding any change in the relative positions of the two flying
machines.

(5) Subject to the provisions of paragraph (3)(b) a vehicle shall:
(a) overtake another vehicle so that the other vehicle is on the left of the overtaking
vehicle;
(b) keep to the left when passing another vehicle which is approaching head-on or
approximately so.

:ok:

skate
18th Nov 2004, 17:38
Thanks for the answers.
I think the message is clear, althoug an intresting incident report.
I am only looking still if mister ICAO has something in an Annex about this subject. I didn't find the annexes on the internet yet, but that may be my searching abilities.

regards to all,
skate