PDA

View Full Version : Short Turnarounds

sich
16th Nov 2004, 10:35
I've heard a rumour that if a turnaround is short enough it is loggable as hours. I've tried to check JAR FCL but must be blind.
Is there any truth? If so what are the rules?

The Greaser
16th Nov 2004, 11:07
Nonsense. Log time when the aircraft begins to move under its on power to when it shuts down on stand. Of course if the engines are left running during turnaround then that could be logged.

Man Flex 32.5
16th Nov 2004, 11:24
This comes straight out of jar fcl section 2 AMC 1.080

3. The particulars of every flight in the course of which the holder of a flight crew licence acts as a member of the operating crew of an aircraft are to be
recorded in the appropriate columns using one line for each flight, provided that if an aircraft carries out a number of flights upon the same day returning on
each occasion to the same place of departure and the interval between successive flights does not exceed thirty minutes, such series of flights may be
recorded as a single entry.

MF

Vin Diesel
16th Nov 2004, 11:51
It seems to me that the spirit of that regulation may be inclined towards the helicopter pilot who spends all morning to-ing and fro-ing between a collection airport and say a departure race course, with very little time on the ground, with rotors still spinning, as opposed to the low cost airline quick (30min) turnaround.

Ferrying VIP's to Ascot or Cheltenham would strike me as a logical occasion when you would log your time in this manner but I hasten to add that I am not a professional pilot. But it would strike me as a sensible application for the rule.

IRRenewal
16th Nov 2004, 13:39
provided that if an aircraft carries out a number of flights upon the same day returning on each occasion to the same place of departure and the interval between successive flights does not exceed thirty minutesThis means going from A to A, not from A to B and back to A.

What this allows is for instance a meat bomber to put in his/her logbook a start time of 9:00, an end time of 13:00, a total flight tim of 2H40 and put in the remarks column "8 drops @ 2500ft".

Although this series of flights may be recorded as a single entry, the rules about logging flight time from brakes off till brakes on still apply.

This also means that the heli pilot ferrying to and from a feeder point to a race course has to log each flight as a seperate entry. Whether they actually do that I don't know.

Cheers

Gerard

----------------------------
There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

wbryce
16th Nov 2004, 15:33
i think another good example would be taking parachute and skydivers up all day

take off, drop, land....repeat the process all day including refuel stops.

Dude~
17th Nov 2004, 19:27
This needs clearing up, all it means is that you use one line in your log book instead of sveral. You enter the time of first departure and the time of the final arrival. In the flight time you put the total elapsed flight time, ie, not including stops. You can only do this if the stops are less than 30 mins.

If the stop is over 30 mins, you have to put a single flight per line in the log book.

You can never log ground time / stopovers as flight time.

Max Angle
17th Nov 2004, 20:39
i think another good example would be taking parachute and skydivers up all day As irrenewal says "meat bombing".

Interesting that the regs. state one line for each flight. I and most other Captains at work have used one line for each day for years, ie. LHR-AMS-LHR-CDG-LHR. Takes too long and uses too much space to do it any other way, having said that mine is almost a year out of date anyway.

sich
18th Nov 2004, 14:25
Thanks all for your help.
All is clear now.

I have to buy a BIG logbook!!! for very little flight time!!!

Sich