PDA

View Full Version : AOPA aero's course

AlexL
15th Nov 2004, 12:39
Hi

I've searched and read some interesting past threads on what to do next, IMC, night, aero's etc and I've decided to have a go at the AOPA aerobatics course and certificate.
The discussion on the widom or otherwise of doing this vs IMC etc has been done to death, I'm just after some specific recommendations.

I've done my 60 odd hours so far entirely in cessna 150/152/172's so I fancy something a bit different. Anyone got any recomendations on aero instructors / schools / aircraft within a reasonable travelling distance of mid essex?

stiknruda
15th Nov 2004, 13:44
AlexL,

Why don't you give my mate Phil O'Donaghue at Crowfield a call. He's just started training studes on a brand spanking new CAP10C.

I've Pm'd you his number

He is a good instructor and he flies well, too!

Stik

cagivawally
17th Nov 2004, 21:51
You can always try Seawing at Southend and have fun in their Aerobat.

AlexL
18th Nov 2004, 08:31
I'm aware of the C150 aeropbat at seawing - I was just thinking that it would be good to get my hands on something other than a Cessna for a change.

I've come across Skysport at North Weald , who have a pup and a bulldog at reasonable rates.
Whats the bulldog like for aeros (and touring) ?

Sam the man
18th Nov 2004, 09:36
Stik,

Can you PM me his number as well. I'm looking to do a Aerobatic course at the moment and a Cap 10 C would be glorious!

Sam

stiknruda
18th Nov 2004, 15:20
Sam - done!

Stik

Flik Roll
18th Nov 2004, 18:34
would prefer to do the course in Stiks pitts!!

PS: Stik, should be starting my schol in a Cap10 (not sure whether B or C) (brand spanking new apparently!) xmas/spring - ACW335

eharding
18th Nov 2004, 18:51
I can recommend the London Aerobatic Co. at White Waltham - lovely Cap10b, fine instructors and aerobatic practice areas within reasonable distance - I did the AOPA course with them this year. If you want to dive straight in at the deep end, WLAC also offer instruction in a Pitts with Alan Cassidy.

stiknruda
18th Nov 2004, 22:53
Flik - you'll be amazed to hear that YOU were last night's supper conversation.

Charlie Delta - the winner of same award (2 or 3 yrs ago) popped over for a bit of light aeroplane relief, stayed over and during supper .........

we both hope that you go on to great things in our wee world!

yours

Stik

ps - I think it is a B with C wings (anorak on!)

Aim Far
19th Nov 2004, 09:04
Stapleford's got a nice T67M260 which will be a lot of fun for aeros. No idea what the instructors are like but they have been known to do a bit of tail chasing if you're passing which makes them OK in my book.

Otherwise, I would give a second vote for London Aerobatic Co.

Paul_Sengupta
19th Nov 2004, 15:36
Bulldogs are nice handing aircraft. They're not "fully" aerobatic in that you have about 12 seconds of inverted flight before the engine stops (lots of dihedral in the wings, the fuel runs out to the ends, no header tank). They do have an inverted oil system and fuel injection though.

It's pretty good for a beginner in aerobatics methinks.

I know Roger who runs Skysport...indeed, I got checked out in G-BPCL before I first flew my Bulldog. Roger knows some ex-RAF instructors who would probably be doing your aerobatic training.

Paul (XX638)

As for touring, well, the Bulldog isn\'t ideal, but fairly good. The let downs are only about 3 hours of fuel before having to fill up and it doesn\'t go very fast for all its power. I generally cruise around at 90 knots which gives me a good fuel burn (<6 UK gallons an hour)...if I increase it to 110 knots I burn a fair bit more.

One good thing is the 100kg baggage limit if you\'re really going to go touring!

Paul

Flik Roll
19th Nov 2004, 15:49
Cheers for thats stik! Can't wait to get started...! Maybe see you around!