View Full Version : Changes to Luton approach procedures ?

pax anglia
21st Nov 2000, 00:57
During the Summer a piece appeared in our local newspaper apparently written by a somewhat excitable journalist.It was characterized by phrases such as "an aerial motorway" etc.Hacking through the hysteria,I drew the conclusion that changes had been proposed that would enable the Luton landing stream from LOREL to pass North of the field (instead of to the South as at present)when 08 is in use.I attempted to get some info straight from the horse's mouth by telephoning the Luton Airport Press Office.I was told "its so the pilots can come in from five miles".I didn't see much point in pursuing that line of enquiry any further.
If my interpretation is correct presumably
changes will have to be made to regulated airspace to the North of 08 extended C/L either by lowering the base or by establishing new controlled/special rules airspace.Can anyone fill in the gaps for me,please?
For info,I am ex CAA/NATS (rather a long time ago) and no longer involved in aviation professionally,but I like to keep my "finger on the pulse"

------------------
Time flies like the wind,but fruit flies like a Banana.

[This message has been edited by pax anglia (edited 21 November 2000).]

OrsonCart
21st Nov 2000, 01:23
I suggest you call Tim Hardy Head of Operations at Luton 01582 405100 and then ask to be connected to him.

ATCexpert
21st Nov 2000, 03:23
No mystery - in a logical move to re-route 08 arrivals away from departures, Luton ATC are proposing establishing additional controlled airspace north-west of teh airport allowing a left-hand circuit. Tim Hardy will have the details.