PDA

View Full Version : Sibson Aerodrome - Rwy 33, 15, 07, 25

hekokimushi
14th Nov 2004, 12:08
Visited Sibson today, they had recently changed their management, now the flying club is called NSF Sibson from Walkbury Aviation taking over from Roger and Lucy from Sywell.

there were lots of visitors aircraft that day, some vintage trail draggers, a few pipers and a few cessnas, chipmunks and slingsby

Landing fees and things have changed, fuel at resonable price too. Please check and go pay a visit. Hope to see you around.

:-)

Flyin'Dutch'
14th Nov 2004, 15:58
Never been to Sibson yet. We had the letter of the imminent move of NSOF to Sibson and will go and say hello soon.

smarthawke
14th Nov 2004, 16:53
It was great to see Sibbo so busy again yesterday following the change of management.

Hopefully with the enthusiasts who really run the airfield still in place and the departure of the previous management who were trying to turn it from a pleasant grass airfield to a business that was only really interested in 'cash at all costs', it will once again flourish.

Best to read the AIP, AFE VFR guide or Pooleys for the joining procedures as it is home to a very active parachute centre. The skydivers land to the North West of the airfield so all circuits are to the South (25/07) and East (15/33) and there is most definitely no overhead join! It is best to get a briefing if you are concerned by ringing first.

I wish Northants School of Flying all the best in their Sibson operation - and their eventual move there from Sywell.

Go and support them by flying in and saying hello - I am certain you will made most welcome.

rotorcraig
14th Nov 2004, 18:21
Best to read the AIP, AFE VFR guide or Pooleys for the joining procedures as it is home to a very active parachute centreThat has always put me off visiting - assumed that it was 'chutes only / too difficult for GA visitors.

AIP states Whilst parachuting is in progress ..<snip>.. helicopters may not operate within the ATZ. Can anyone clarify whether that means that you need to time arrival carefully and wait for a departure slot, or that on a parachuting day you just can't get in or out by helicopter?

RC

EGBKFLYER
14th Nov 2004, 20:11
Great to see an airfield being revived. NSF's management team and the ex-Walkbury employees are obviously already making improvements - here's wishing them all the best. Conington shouldn't worry either as NSF has good relations with them and is already trying to work in partnership with the club there to improve GA facilities in the area. All that's needed is a good, dry winter and we'll all be laughing...

smarthawke
14th Nov 2004, 20:57
RC

The gen on helicopters is that they aren't allowed to have rotors turning on the airfield (or be approaching to land/taking off) whilst there are canopies in the air.

Depending on the aircraft (Let 410 in the summer, C206 all year round), the climb to altitude will take between 15 and 30+ minutes then you have breaks for refuelling etc, so there's plenty of time to get in and stopped.

Helicopters to go in fairly frequently.

As for the difficulty its not much worse than many grass strips. 25/07 is about 800m long, powerlines on the 25 approach a 1km away - look far worse than they are. Trees on the 07 threshold likewise. 15/33 550m and good approches/climb out.

The best way to arrive is via the Morborne mast to the south (marked on the 1/2 mill). Normal practise is to chat to Cottesmore on the way in as they control the Wittering MATZ - Sibson is just on the edge of that.

Now off you go everyone and get EGSP in the log book and keep another GA airfield alive!

S-Works
15th Nov 2004, 07:43
I dropped in yesterday to see Patrick and the team and my what a different atmosphere now. Smiles and warm welcomes. All of the Spanhoe flyers and other locals are being welcomed back into the fold and the airfield is positivily buzzing again. All visiitors are welcome (includes egg whisks) and I believe there is even a deal on landing fees if fuel is uplifted. And on sunny days there are some very nice Lycra around!

I think under the watchfull eyes of Roger and Lucy the airfield will positivly flourish. NSF have a a superb reputation for giving first class training and a warm welcome to all. Not to mention the fantastc fly outs that are organised throughout the year.

We never miss them and last year alone saw, Chataeu La Chassgne, Guernsey, Texel (Holland), Edinburgh, Ostend, Caen as well as a few more local such as Sandown and Le Touquet. NSF Wings night (just gone this saturday) is a shining example of the club spirit that exists.

I think this is going to be a great year for both the school and Sibson and I hope everyone takes the opportunity to visit the school and the airfield for what I am certain will be a very warm welcome.

Enjoy!!

:ok:

CTAviation
15th Nov 2004, 15:27
So is NSF closing thier Sywell operation and moving lock, stock and barrel to Sibson ?

S-Works
15th Nov 2004, 15:41
I think it more the case that the landlord is withdrawing the lease from August next year to force them out and rather than them just shutting up shop they chose to look for new opportunites to continue to provide service to there members.

Sibson was too good an opportunity for them to miss I think and now they will have control over their own futire as they will operate the airfield as well as the flying club.They will be phasing the move between now and August next year.

Personally I think it is a great move for them and the members (us!)will really benefit from extended opening hours, night flying, easier access to the site cheaper fuel, landing fees etc. If they take over the cafe and smarten it up then it will be a positive mecca for the visiting pilot!

CTAviation
15th Nov 2004, 18:19
Well may I wish them the best of luck, they deserve it as I know a little of thier problems with thier current landlord.So if they take over the resturaunt will it be Roger the chef and Lucy the waiteress or the other way round ?

strake
15th Nov 2004, 21:11
Well, B****r me Backwards and Fol-de Rol...!

My two Alama Maters (Materi?) in one place.

Learnt to fly at Sywell and spent five years skydiving at Sibson.

In my day, Paul Smith (with wife Trish) was CFI at Sywell but now long retired I'm sure. Don't know the current management but best of luck to them in their new venture.

david viewing
16th Nov 2004, 12:51
I am delighted to hear that NSF have moved to lovely Sibson. I learned to fly there and indeed, was John Nicholl's very first student and PPL. Because of that, I would like to speak up here.

John is accused here of running the Walkbury business for 'cash at all costs' and if he were reading this now I think he would say that it is better to run a financially successful business than one that fails, letting down customers and employees alike.

In fact, John provided marvellous service, excellent aeroplanes and hundreds of new pilots over 25 years or so whilst achieving the solvency that so many other aviation businesses fail to do.

I hope that NSF enjoy similar commercial success at Sibson.

David Viewing

smarthawke
16th Nov 2004, 16:48
David

All I can say is that last weekend Sibson was far busier and had a much nicer, friendlier atmosphere than I've seen there in at least the last 18 months (particularly at weekends).

S-Works
17th Nov 2004, 08:21
I don't think there is any milage in recriminations for the past whether deserved or not.

I do think it is a good time to support the future and give our support.

Ludwig
17th Nov 2004, 09:05
I agree with Bose-X.

I have absolutely no doubt that they will transform Sibson into a GA mecca now that they have control over their own destiny. They are deeply committed to GA and have already amply demonstrated their credentials at Sywell by turning a good flying school with the usual spam-can fleet into a first class establishment with possibly the widest mixture of aircraft available for PPL’s anywhere in the UK, from Vintage trainers through to modern composite aircraft, all achieved against some very considerable odds.

Unusual amongst many in the GA business community they are passionate about providing a quality as well as friendly services . By bringing the benefit of experience in other businesses and a lifetime of personal experience of the level of services usually offered by GA business operation, they have elevated their own standards way in excess of just about every other GA, and many commercial aviation operators.

With a free rein and a committed team, Lucy and Roger will, I know, set new standards of service and professionalism within UKGA.
:ok:

VFE
19th Nov 2004, 10:28
Top airfield is Sibbo.

Did my first solo there 4 years ago. :ok:

VFE.