View Full Version : Productivity Bonus for NATS Supervisors

Postman Pat
25th Jan 2001, 13:36
There is a report on CEEFAX this am saying that "Senior air traffic control supervisors are to receive performance-relatedpay" (Page 110). Does anybody know what this is all about?

PP

identnospeed
25th Jan 2001, 18:35
PP,

CEO Chisholm was on the Today Programme this morn., but I only caught the last 30 secs of the interview.....something like safety and profit being one and two in that order....the interviewer said maybe it should be safety and safety as 1 and 2.

I'm sure the transcript will be available.

I wonder if this perf related pay is a reference to the individual contracts the LATCC watch managers are being asked to sign. Lots of KPIs I'm sure.

INS

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Jan 2001, 22:51
Extraordinary note on Teletext this evening says that Senior controllers at Farnborough might be offered "performance related contracts"!!! Does anyone know what this is about? With all possible respect to my colleagues and friends at Farnborough there must be many controllers at far busier units who deserve such a perk slightly more.....? Is the whole world going bananas?

G-BJOP
25th Jan 2001, 23:15
I caught pretty much the whole interview up to Mr Chisholm on the Today programme. It seemed to suggest that managers will be offered performance (read profit) related pay rises. The programme was suggesting this is in a similar vein to the compensation which airlines can now claim if they feel they have suffered excessive delays due to air traffic control.
Why on earth do they think they have been delayed if not for their own safety??? Perhaps they should have magnets fitted to the front and end of each plane and then they could all join together like train carriages :rolleyes:

Anyway, there were two distinguished sounding controllers from Heathrow ('Angus' and his colleague) who were interviewed explaining why Profit...sorry... performance related pay was a very bad idea, but then I had to go into work.

Is this Mandy's parting shot?

[This message has been edited by G-BJOP (edited 25 January 2001).]

Bizzy
25th Jan 2001, 23:57
Performance Related Pay??

Sounds dodgy to me and feels like a way to cut or cap pay in the future!

How can you increase efficiency when your aircraft are subject to flow control etc?!

What is really worrying though is the lack of coverage of this type of thing in the newspapers or main news programmes - (obviously Posh Spices' luggage merits far more space) - even with the impending part privatisation of ATC.

[This message has been edited by Bizzy (edited 25 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bizzy (edited 25 January 2001).]

TrueNorth
26th Jan 2001, 00:05
Beeb covered it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1135000/1135853.stm

North of the Border
26th Jan 2001, 00:54
Rumour has it that only one year contracts are being offered. Probably to get them past PPP then SERCO can strip out a layer of management next year.

NOTB

Kings Arms
26th Jan 2001, 01:52
HD
Us that were truly ex BDN always regarded EGUF types as inferior, so any chance of a back paymentfor handling the stuff they flung to us 20 yrs ago.

see yer soon.

Magnetron
27th Jan 2001, 07:09
If any MANAGER out there thinks he is going to get a bonus based on
MY performance then he better start thinking about how he fills his freezer.

2 six 4
28th Jan 2001, 01:34
Magnetron. I think you will find that all NATS managers at SMG level have been on a bonus scheme for the last 10 years. It is now being introduced at lower management levels.

RogerOut
28th Jan 2001, 13:29
G-BJOP
What has it to do with "Mandy"? No I don't like the guy (maybe I should put that in inverted commas) but I know there are several more prominent people who should be taking the rap.

------------------
RogerOut
I Keep Mine Hidden

Bright-Ling
28th Jan 2001, 20:28
HEATHROW DIRECTOR.....

....having senior staff at Farnborough on performance related pay would never work.

After all, how would you get money back off them?????????!?!?!?!?

Take-cover.

SonicTPA
28th Jan 2001, 23:56
There's really only one member of senior staff at farnborough, and you're not going to mess with her!

Typical that the bonus is for the boss, not for the workers...

SonicTPA