PDA

View Full Version : More ATC Career questions

g10
23rd Sep 2001, 03:33
I have a few questions, hopefully someone can answer them?

First a little background.
I was a wannabe airline pilot, but due to the tragic events in NY/DC/PA all the cadetships have dried up......I am too poor to privately fund myself for the training, and i know upon getting an ATPL the jobs would not be around to payback the debts i'd build up.

Anyway, I want to work in aviation and am considering a career as an ATC.

here are the questions.

(1) how long are you commited to NATS after completing the training ? (just in case the cadetship/pilot job market improves)

(2) how common is it for ATCOs to leave and become airline pilots?

(3) what are the medical requirements like, especially the eyesight requirements.....(If i could get an class 1 medical for being a pilot, could i pass the medical for an ATCO)

Thanks for any help

g10

Bern Oulli
23rd Sep 2001, 11:47
G10
1) Almost unbelievably, there is no "minimum stay" with NATS after training. I have known students to resign on the day of graduation, although it is very uncommon.

2) Not common but it does happen.

3) The medical requirements, including eyesight, are essentially the same as a Class 1 pilot's medical. In fact it IS a Class 1 medical. The only difference is where you work as an aerodrome controller only i.e. not approach/radar or area - then the minimum requirement is a Class 2.

Hope this helps.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Sep 2001, 17:06
I don't believe the medicals are identical, although they are both referred to as "Class 1" and may well be similar. With the pilot's initial medical they get an EEG to check what's going on between their ears. With us the doc shines a torch in one ear and if it lights up the wall on the other side we pass!!

g10
24th Sep 2001, 02:29
thanks for the advice everyone.....I'll go ahead and apply....hopefully am good enough to join you.

FYI: it looks from the CAA website that the vision requirements for an ATCO class one are higher than those for a JAR Class one pilot medical.....pilots can have up to -5D if over 25 or show they have refractive stability......no such proviso for ATCOs

Mr Chips
24th Sep 2001, 19:39
Without wishing to appear a grouch, please don't apply to ATC just because you can't get a pilots job, or until you can get a pilots job. ATC is a career in its own right, and an attitude that you SEEm to have (not saying that you have, just that you seem to) will NOT get you through an interview!!!

g10
25th Sep 2001, 02:48
Mr Chips

I understand what you are saying, that ATC is a career. But people jump from career to career all through their life.

I'm sure there are people who progress in ATC and then pack it in to do something else.....it happens in every industry....

I appreciate your advice, saying that they will spot this in the interview. If they do then very well, but if i get through, I assure you that I'd give the job my 100% attention and take it absolutely seriously.

Thanks

g10

6 string
25th Sep 2001, 22:53
g10, I know several people who have jumped form ATC to pilot's job with extreme ease.
Some jumped whilst at college, others during live traing and some valid controllers too.

g10
26th Sep 2001, 01:31
Just to clear up the medical issue:

i called the CAA today...asked about the medical requirements....and they said that their limits for eyesight are +/-3D correction. No provisions for refractive stability or older age......so my -3.5D would fail me on an ATCO medical but pass me on a JAA pilot medical.....

although they say they're thinking about changing the ATCO limit to make it inline with pilot requirements.....but we all know how long that could take......

for the time being I'll be doing my eye exercises.....

g10