PDA

View Full Version : British Prime Minister -- What is the Official Aircraft?

shon7
13th Nov 2004, 12:09
Not sure where to post this question but I'm curious. When the British Prime Minister flies what aircraft is used? Do they use something from the BA fleet? What is the call sign?

AIRWAY
13th Nov 2004, 12:12
Hi,

I believe he uses BA's B777.

speedbird_heavy
13th Nov 2004, 13:02
Also known as "Blair Force one".

Do they use the 001 flight number?

akerosid
13th Nov 2004, 13:13
It must be quite expensive to take a BA aircraft out of service and use it for such occasions; I know the VC10s are too noisy now for most airports, but what about the RAF L1011s/C1s; it's a perfectly respectable aircraft and with a slightly less spartan interior, it could probably do the job.

EuroATC
13th Nov 2004, 13:18
A BA 777 left KADW last night with a four digit call sign...9278 i think it was... There is your prime minister me thinks.

Spearing Britney
13th Nov 2004, 16:37
Ah but after the RAF nearly crashing into each other with Princess Anne on board the other day they wouldn't let Tony travel with those fly by night military boys would they Lord Flashart?

peatair
13th Nov 2004, 18:05
Not unknown since "New Labour" came in for them to use RAF Queen's flight.

shon7
14th Nov 2004, 03:11
Won't it be cheaper for the govt. just to buy a Gulfstream or BBJ for this kind of travel? Save the taxpayers a pretty penny too.

There are some other govt.s that do this i.e. take an aircraft from the "national" airline's fleet? Never understood the rationale behind it!

Max Angle
14th Nov 2004, 21:35
I believe the huge press pack who go along pay for the ride and pretty well cover the cost.

Mister Geezer
14th Nov 2004, 21:50
Think it depends sometimes when he is on State business or Party business. Going to visit a head of state is different when compared to travelling the country on election campaigns.

For the later category he has used regional jets, turboprops and probably helicopters as well. Think it ultimately depends on who is paying for it!

ETOPS
15th Nov 2004, 10:07
Just to be clear, our 777's (and sometimes A320's) are hired to the UK Gov't as a normal commercial charter. We also have similar arrangements for sporting groups such as the England football team and have a thriving charter department that turns in a profit. As we have over 40 B777 aircraft we can usually find one lying around for ad hoc work......

Lancelot de boyles
15th Nov 2004, 11:34
Make him go by train. A bit of hands on experience dealing with the miserable bloody train service would do him no harm.
An hour standing on the platform listening to automated train XXX delayed messages should prepare him for a briefing from his boss GWB

PAXboy
15th Nov 2004, 14:02
Some years ago, this Govt had to decide about a replacment for the Royal Yacht (Brittannia) then at the end of it's econimical working life. There were economical and poltical and emotional reasons both for and against. They decided not to replace it. In my view this was a mistake.

If they tried to get a PM's flight, there would be mayhem in the streets. We have small machines in the Queens Flight for the Queen's Prime Minister to use. Renting bigger machines, when needed, is the only sensible way to go. As mentioned, the press pay an exhorbitant price for their seats and that covers most of the cost.

There will be detailed plans for war (all-out, as opposed to the current wars) and that will doubtless include RAF machines with secure comms etc.

I have not yet taken part in a protest march but a request for a PMs aircraft would have me shouting in the streets!

northwing
15th Nov 2004, 18:58
People think "Air Force One" is an aircraft, but it is not. It is a callsign used when the President of the USA is on board and is used irrespective of what sort of aircraft he is on. I believe Her Majesty the Queen gets "Purple One" on the same basis, although I stand to be corrected if anyone knows better.

So, suggestions please for a callsign appropriate to our noble Prime Minister. For starters, how about:-

Gordon's Mate 1
Foxmate 1
Sharplawyer 1
Ilovemandy 1
Eurosucker 1
Wrongwar 1
Bigmortgage 1
Minutes 45

speedbird_heavy
15th Nov 2004, 19:04
Airforce one only applies to USAF aircraft. If the prez is on the green Marine helicopter the callsign is Marine 1. If its a navy aircraft the callsign isn Navy 1. A civil aircraft is Executive 1.

I think that the Royal flight uses either Ascot or Kittyhawk 1 with BA charters using the airlines own callsign.

Tandemrotor
15th Nov 2004, 19:05
northwing

Think you may be wrong on the callsign for the Queen.

AVeight
15th Nov 2004, 20:00
northwing,

You forgot....

poodle 1

or even

bendover 1

AVeight

PH98
18th Nov 2004, 12:44
BA and RAF etc are asked to produce costings for destinations and then a decision is made based on cost and convenience. If it's a tour of somewhere they're more likely to use the Royal Squadron than if it's a single return trip in a day because they don't have to "hire" the aircraft as such