PDA

View Full Version : Flight plan advice

df1
13th Nov 2004, 10:11
Hi,

I don't fly that often in the UK and when I do it's on a foreign state license. These flights are of short duration and confined to the "local" area, sadly.

I'm getting rather adventurous and I'm planning a return flight from EGBO (Wolverhampton) to EGTP (Perranporth). These might sound like ridiculous questions but I'd be grateful of any helpful advice!

1) Technically I don't require a flight plan (?), but in practice is it worth filing one?

2) What details might EGTP require from me before flight and how far in advance?

3) Booking out from EGBO what would be the likely procedure i.e. what details would they require (I usually book out just for a local flight!!)?

4) En route which agencies might I consider talking to (my route keeps me clear of all controlled airspace)? Is it worth talking to anyone at all?

5) Nearly all of my flying was done in the USA/Canada and I used a type of ATC service called Flight Following (pre-arranged service where each ATC unit can effectively hand you on the the next appropriate unit as you proceed along your route). Is there any such equivalent or similar here in the UK.

6) [specific to EGTP] I would need to establish contact with St. Mawgan since I'll approach from the north east. Will they pass me directly to EGTP radio or will I need to converse with Culdrose.

7) Any additional advice.

I very much appreciate any advice here and thank you in advance.

Regards
df1

tom775257
13th Nov 2004, 10:50
1)I would not bother with a flight plan for that. You can be in radio contact in case of emergencies for the entire flight

2)Perrenporth is really relaxed, just give them a quick call before going, they can give you a few hints before the trip. Just watch the runway, it is a touch bumpy! (and noise abatement)

3)Just book out for a land –away. Again it will be the usual (call-sign, A/C type, POB, destination etc)

4) Last time I flew there from your area I routed to the BCN VOR then outbound to overhead Swansea then over the water to Illfracombe, across Bideford bay avoiding the Chivenor ATZ and danger area, then down the coast to Perrenporth.
On that route I would probably speak to Cardiff lower airspace radar service (LARS) once in range, Swansea and then London information once half way over the water, St. Mawgan radar then finally Perrenporth. Generally as VFR traffic in the u.k. you will not be passed on. Each call will probably be from scratch. And yes, it is good to talk.

5) Three types of basic service in the U.K. For you I would suggest either ask for a ‘Flight information service’ (FIS) and possibly a ‘Radar Information Service’ (RIS) from Cardiff and St. Mawgan. A FIS means that you are given information about other known traffic and as with all the services, an alerting service. A RIS requires you to be identified on radar, and then you are given information about other traffic based on radar traffic. Obviously to get a RIS you need to be in contact with a unit with radar. Radar advisory and Radar control are the other types, not really applicable. I would suggest a read of CAP 413 which can be downloaded for free from the CAA web-site.

6) Last time I flew down from the north St. Mawgan gave me a RIS and asked me to call EGTP field in sight. Once in sight I was asked to ‘Free-call Perrenporth’ i.e. they did not pass my details on.

7) Yeah, watch the runways, they are bumpy. A great place to visit though, a really friendly airfield.

Edit: And here is the link
RT manual (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP413.PDF)

Chilli Monster
13th Nov 2004, 10:50
1) No

2) Give them a ring before you set off to get any airfield details / problems there might be

3) Callsign, captains name, persons on board, destination, time en-rte, aircraft endurance

4) Depends on your route. If you stay overland then Wolverhampton - Filton (weekday)/Brize (weekend) - Bristol/Cardiff (depending who you'e closer to) - Exeter - St Mawgan - Perranporth

5) Above units will give you similar - either ask for Flight information or Radar information service. (Learn the differences - there, some homework for you ;) )

6) St Mawgan will tell you when to call Perranporth

7) Enjoy yourself :)

bookworm
13th Nov 2004, 10:52
1) Not really, particularly if you will talk to agencies enroute.

2) Varies from place to place -- usually callsign, type, ETA, numebr on board is all that's required.

3) Same details as usual, plus destination.

4/5) LARS is the equivalent in many ways. See ENR 1.6.3 (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/enr/2010603.PDF). (Register at www.ais.org.uk if you haven't already.)

I would talk to any of Birmingham (not strictly a LARS provider but usually happy to help subject to workload), Brize, Filton, Bristol, Cardiff, Mawgan requesting a radar information service.

6) I doubt you'd need to talk to Culdrose. The AIAA you may be looking at does not require mandatory contact with Culdrose. Mawgan should look after you.

df1
15th Nov 2004, 10:26
Hi,

Thanks guy's for your advice and information. At the moment the trip is at the mercy of the weather but I hope to complete it soon. I'll drop you a line when I do.

Thanks!

df1