PDA

View Full Version : Approach Checklist

Dockjock
13th Nov 2004, 01:19
What altitude does your company SOP dictate for the approach checklist? Approach checklist being in the context of after the "descent" checklist, after transition altitude, but before the "before landing" checklist.

Is 10,000' the de facto standard? My company (turboprop operator) is apparently changing it to a higher altitude, but still below transition.

Just wondering what other operators do as I find it quite strange we're doing this.

BOAC
13th Nov 2004, 07:36
Depends on what the checklist contains?

If it has a reference to setting and checking approach altimeter subscales, it is normally done when cleared to an altitude/height, with the caveat that if the TL (NB NOT 'TransitionAltitude') is very low, it may be prudent to review the contents before it is too late!

I guess therefore in the USA, around FL 190 is normal??, in my experience in Europe, it varies with ATC clearance. Into CDG it can be as late as 20 mile final (as you can be still at a F/level) or it can be as high as Fl 200+, and I HAVE been cleared to an altitude from as high as F/L 370! In that case 'airmanship rules' apply:D

tournesol
13th Nov 2004, 09:54
BOAC is right. It depends on many factors:
1. Aircraft type,
2. your company C/L philosopy,
3. The contents of your C/L,
4. The situation,
etc.....
The major items on a typical App C/L are: Altimeter check & Radios & Nav aids settings. Once these major items have been accomplished, the C/L may be called for, hopefully without holding at any items.

oldebloke
13th Nov 2004, 21:15
About 10000 is the norm(after 37 years and 3 co's)..This Altitude covers the'approach' items like'lights'Press'and Alt' settings(if they're not here-they' must' be on the 'before landing check'.....
Seen several cases where they North American flights have ended up 'missing' them due to the lower'Transition'levels....
Above 10000' one is refering to items one can't activate yet..:confused:

Captain Airclues
13th Nov 2004, 21:27
On some aircraft types the only item on the Approach Checklist is 'QNH set and chross-checked'. The trigger for calling for the check is when the QNH has been set and cross-checked. Therefore, on these aircraft types, why not do away with the Approach Check completely? Works just fine.

Airclues

LEM
15th Nov 2004, 10:50
Just one little more thought: when cleared to an altitude from a very high level, you set QNH, but sometimes it's not a very good idea to complete the approach checklist, crosschecking the altimeters at a so early stage, as they mey differ (like this morning!) by... say 150 feet.

But the difference is going to (almost) disappear at lower altitudes, so it might be a good idea to wait for 10000ft before reading the checklist, to make an accurate altimeter crosscheck.