PDA

View Full Version : TSA rule of Foreign students

B2N2
12th Nov 2004, 18:01
At the risk of flogging a dead horse...
As far as I know these are the latest rulings:

Visa Procedures

How do you obtain a Student Visa?

You will request from your school a I-20 form, that they will prepare and send to you. At that time you will be required to pay $100.00 for the issuance of the I-20. You can pay online at www.fmjfee.com

You will then need to make an appointment at the US Embassy and take the I-20 form and proof of payment for approval. At that time they will take your picture for their records.

Alien Flight Training Rules

With the new rules in place from the TSA (Transportation Security Administration), schools must follow more stricter rules and guidelines in order to ensure everyones safety.

To whom TSA rules apply:

All aliens/foreigners who apply for training.

Now, what is considered "training"?

What is training? – training that a candidate could use toward a new airman certificate or rating. These rules do not apply for US citizens. Therefore the flight school has to obtain proof of US citizenship (U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport)

Until December 19th 2004 all aliens/foreigners are exempt who:

* currently hold a FAA airman certificate
currently hold a certificate of a foreign national authority that is recognized by the FAA
* There is no change for aliens/foreigners or U.S. citizens if they seek recurrent training.

So, NO backgroundcheck is required if you come to the USA for:

* BFR (Biennial Flight Review)
* IPC (Instrument Proficiency Check)
* Rental checkout
* Aircraft rental
* Hour building

Upon arrival at the flight school

Upon arrival to the school you will need to have your picture taken, you must register online at the school. You will need to be fingerprinted by the local sheriff on site at the airport for the completion of this investigation. There may or may not be a charge for the fingerprinting depending on location. The fingerprints only need to be done once for them to confirm your identity.

Items needed for background check

In order to complete the background process there is a fee of $130.00 that will be paid at the school to the TSA. You will need to have your Visa, Passport, addresses for the last 5 years along with phone numbers.

You also need to have an email address so that TSA can email the password for you to access the site. If you do not have one, anybody can help you set up a free account.

Further info on:

http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/
and
https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/

Hope this clarifies it some.
PM or email for more info....:ok:

PhilD
14th Nov 2004, 10:11
Does all of this apply to FAA training in the USA only, or for FAA schools/instructors operating outside of the USA as well?

B2N2
20th Nov 2004, 03:28
USA only trying to avoid another 9-11, they don't care what happens elsewhere...:ok: