View Full Version : Seperation on finals

closing from left rpt est
18th Nov 2000, 14:41
Hello All again.

Different topic this time {VBG}

I live near EGNM and any controllers (or pilots for that) that know EGNM will know that the taxiways are not in the best position ever, ie you have to backtrack to line up or to get to the stand. So I belive that you can not have the standered seperation standereds at an airport like this? ie you cant have an Upper Medium and a Lower Medium at 4NM spacing? So what is the standered for an airport like this?

Thanks a lot est :)

------------------
Thanks to anyone that replies!!! :)

Vlad the Impaler
18th Nov 2000, 15:00
I think you misunderstand the question you are asking. I presume the separation standards you are referring to are for vortex wake. This doesn't bear any relation to the spacings provided by the approach controller. If the Tower was only ever given four miles on final then nothing would ever depart. Approach control co-ordinate with the Tower to arrange suitable gaps for departing traffic but even without this gap you would be unlikely to see them closer than six miles on final. Obviously at mega busy units such as Heathrow with one r-way for arrivals and one for departures then the vortex could well then become the spacing on final but this is in a slightly different league from your average aerodrome. At units with unusual taxiway arrangements or long backtracks this is obviously taken into account by the approach controller and then just requires good judgement from the tower controller to utilise the gaps. Hope this helps.

closing from left rpt est
18th Nov 2000, 15:20
Thanks a lot Vlad,

Yea i see ya point. Cheers!

est :)