PDA

View Full Version : Time to Widebody Command

SR71
11th Nov 2004, 13:16
Would it possible for those members who have become widebody commanders in the last 10 years to share their previous commercial experience prior to acquiring a widebody command?

I am interested in seeing whether there is a particular commercial path to a quick command on these types?

It would appear not, and that it is generally the case, that in the present commercial environment, one must fly for at least 8-10 years (at the very minimum) in smaller jets prior to obtaining such a position...

Thanks for the contribution.

:ok:

Kato747
14th Nov 2004, 04:48
GEE!

Went from Command of "small" McDonnel-Douglas Phantom to left seat B747 in just over 3600 hours (and just under 6 years).

Maybe I'm just a slow learner?

:O

411A
14th Nov 2004, 08:57
Been a lot longer than ten years ago but... stepped directly into a Command in a heavy jet (B707) without any previous jet transport experience.
Wasn't a wide-body because there were just a few in service at the time (with any operator)...and of couse these were rather senior.
Right place, right time is rather important.

Old Smokey
14th Nov 2004, 13:08
SR71,

Point 1 (sharing previous commercial experience) - After years of 'cutting my teeth' on DC9, B727, B737, realised that the "White Glove Brigade" had done a good con job on us in how big time it all was. The Wide Body was infinitely EASIER to handle than the 'small stuff'.

Point 2 (is there a particular commercial path to a quick command on these types) - Join an airline where the smallest aircraft is a Wide Body. There are many.

Point 3 (my point, not yours) - Who cares ? Aeroplanes are aircraft are airplanes, they're ALL satisfying. Unlike in the bedroom, size does NOT make a difference.

3 cents worth today,

Old Smokey

woftam
14th Nov 2004, 21:14
Very true Old Smokey.

SR71
15th Nov 2004, 08:09
Cheers gentleman.

I agree with many points.

I am merely trying to understand the industry paradigm nowadays which is why I was hoping to canvas some input from relatively recently promoted Commanders. Point 2 is a good one Old Smokey.

I, personally, enjoy flying the 733/735 and recognize the handling trend Old Smokey alludes to, especially when its blowing 250/35G45 into CWL.

However, a LH job affords one a particular lifestyle that has advantages and potentially a tax-advantage too. And unfortunately I don't know of any LH 73 operators. So, short of going part-time, one has to aspire to this kind of fleet if one wants to live the life.

For me the issue is highly pertinent, whereupon one needs to plan the best course of action for the future.

Its a constant juggling act between career aspirations, lifestyle and fun <PS: Note to self - Must not forget pension.>.

Fortunately fun always wins for me.