PDA

View Full Version : Squawk/Ident Q's

SkidSolo
19th Sep 2001, 13:28
1. On changing to a control service giving departure name, altitude etc. Should I announce the squawk code and even ident it? I always thought that was incorrect but I'm hearing it more and more.

2. Changing a squawk, is it necessary to switch to SBY first? Is the software/hardware high tech enough that this is no longer the procedure.

3. "Radar service terminates" but not instructed to squawk 7000. Why?

Thanks in advance.
Regards
SS

Data Dad
19th Sep 2001, 14:06
SS

answers as I see them (probably find that others will think differently!! :D )

Q1. No, only ident when instructed to. Some controllers will say "squawk xxxx with ident"

Q2. Switching to standby, changing the numbers then back on is I believe the correct way....most dont though and it can cuase some interesting results on a radar display!

Q3. Happens regularly at the Ice Station...reason? Well if you are departing into Class G Airspace (the "FIR") then on most occasions the squawk is allocated by the parent ACC. We then transfer you to the Centre and dont change the squawk cos they allocated it and want you to wear it and we know they are going to provide a radar service, even if it is a RIS rather than the RAS we provide. It's like a heads-up to you to "renegotiate" and establish a new "contract".....with me still? :cool:

5milesbaby
19th Sep 2001, 16:01
Skid, my turn but DataDad is correct

1) No, don't do it 'till asked. On first contact with radar control you must be identified and Mode C verified, but there are occasions when on first contact you aren't actually inside radar cover, therefore pointless task. Sometimes it is delayed if other returns are present in your area to ensure the radar is receiving yours and not a transposed reply. Occasionally you are turned by 30degs or more in this situation, thats a primary ident procedure. On occasions you get 'Squalk **** with ident', usually at times where the original code assigned has been given to another, so its a new code issued. This happens alot on FIR boundaries where, for instance, a code in French airspace is a domestic one in the UK; the best I've seen is AFR conc displaying a Loganair Island-hopper callsign!!!!!

2) Many don't these days and yes we can get some funny replies from time to time, its recommended though so that you don't accidently flick through one of 'those' squalks that sound alarms!!!!

3) Normally with me its because I've forgotten!!!! Saying the 'leaving.....' speil can be time wasting and when its busy, bits get missed. DataDad's response isn't one I know exists in my area, but sounds spot on as to the proper answer.

5mb