View Full Version : Temp work in the tower

SpeedBird22
22nd Jan 2001, 05:26
Hey all,

I'm a near-PPL with an strong interest in becoming a commercial pilot in the near (ish) future. At the moment I'm still at university and was wondering what the possibilities were for temporary employment in ATC??

Not only would it be something I'd love to do but would be bound to help with my flying. The only thing is I'm sure the level of training required would limit work to obviously the basics....but hey beggar can't be choosers.

Any help on the issue would be great.

Cheers,

SB22

No speed Restriction
22nd Jan 2001, 06:36
Doesn't seem too hopeful to me........

An approved course would take around 6 months for a tower rating... then IF someone would employ you as a tower only then a minimum period of training of 180 hours "in the seat" prior to a validation board...minimum then of 9-12 months and quite a bit of cash

hope that helps....... good luck in everything else NsR

Bright-Ling
22nd Jan 2001, 13:40
Speedbird, as NsR said, this is a bit of a non-starter - as far as 'controlling' is concerned.

However, try a smaller airfield where they have FISO's/Air Ground radio. If you have a PPLish) then an AG licence is very easy, and a FISO isn't a million miles off. Both will cost a few quid but not mega bucks. Alternatively, they might need ATSA's (Air Traffic Services Assistant). Finally, try a flying school for some temp ops staff.

Don't expect too much (or any) pay!! The full time qualified staff are unfortunately not the best paid in the world.

BL

Dan Dare
22nd Jan 2001, 14:50
BAW22, if you are studying an Engineering type degree then the CAA usually employs noise monitoring staff for the summer holidays between graduation and airline sponsorship. If anybody is interested I could try to fish out historical contacts/phone #.

Spoonbill
23rd Jan 2001, 03:48
Just like commercial piloting, ATC is usually a career job. (Although there are a few ATCOs with CPL/ATPLs).
Do a lot of research, then choose one or the other, either way you'll spend a lot of money before you achieve your asperations.
(If you get an interview for one or the other, dont adopt the attitude you have here, you'll be shown the door before you get in).
Good Luck.

bill
23rd Jan 2001, 04:16
if you're genuinely interested there are often jobs as assistants (ATSAs) or pseudo-pilots (ACPOs) going at NERC or LATCC on a short-term contract basis, both pay reasonably well and would likely give you a reasonable grounding in the ATC side of aviation.

SpeedBird22
24th Jan 2001, 03:43
Thanks for your ideas....I'm too involved in piloting to consider ATC as a career but I like the idea of being an A/G controller so perhaps I'll have a look at that.

Cheers,

SB22

Dan Dare
24th Jan 2001, 16:02
Sorry to be picky, BUT:

Air Traffic CONTROL Officer
Flight INFORMATION Service Officer (Aerodromes)
Air to Ground RADIO OPERATOR

Know the difference and the limitations of the service available. Each should use the appropriate suffix to let you know who they are. Do not be fooled by A/G Radio Operators who think they're controllers.

[This message has been edited by Dan Dare (edited 24 January 2001).]

SpeedBird22
25th Jan 2001, 05:43
Dan Dare,

Sorry about the terminology...thanks for the corrections :-)

SB22

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Jan 2001, 12:17
If you're trying to decide whether to become a controller or pilot consider the following:
"What is an ATCO?"
"Someone who swore he'd starve before becoming an Air Traffic Control Officer.. and has been doing both ever since"!