PDA

View Full Version : Radio Failure Proceedures in UK

dublinpilot
10th Nov 2004, 16:09
Guys,

I've being doing a bit of reading of the UK AIP, about radio failure proceedures for VFR flight.

ENR 1.1.3 (3.2.3.1) Indicates that you due the usual squawk, remain in VMC, and "Land at the nearest suitable aerodrome ."

Now this got me thinking a bit. What exactly is a suitable aerodrome? It seems simple at first, until I start to think about it.

Lets take for example my intended trip to the Blackpool bash this weekend. I'm planning on routing from DUB to WAL near Liverpool, then up the coast. Lets say, I've entered the UK airspace, and am approaching WAL, when I notice my radio has failed.

Is Liverpool a suitable aerodrome? It certainly is capable of taking my landing, and if I was already in the zone, I could follow the light signals/flares, but what if I'm outside the zone, but it's still the nearest? Does the fact that it's in a control zone, and I'm suddenly non-radio make it unsuitable? Ok, common sense would say that you don't enter a control zone of a large international airport, that you haven't intended to fly to, without being able to make contact with them.

So what about a smaller airport? Does it having a ATZ make it unsuitable as you again can't meet the requirement to make two way radio contact before entering the ATZ.

If so, am I now down to trying to find an aiport without an ATZ, that I can get to without going through any airspace, and possibly going way off my fight plan, and leave ATC watching my squawk, wondering where I'm trying to get to?

On the face of it, it would seem to make most sense to follow my flight plan, staying out of controled airspace until I've reached Blackpool, and wait for light signals. At least they would know where I was going from, my squawk and my flight plan. But this isn't what the AIP says.

So the question remains. What is a suitable aerodrome, and does it matter that it's in controlled airspace, or an ATZ?

What if the nearest aerodrome, was a military one. How would this affect things?

Any thoughts?

Genghis the Engineer
10th Nov 2004, 16:15
If I'm diverting to somewhere, for preference I'd take somewhere with a signal square and no mandatory PPR for all/non-radio aircraft - then a non-radio standard overhead join is unlikely to cause them any concern.

Actually that's what I've done on several occasions without any more than a polite "thanks for the explanation" when I went and grovelled in the tower about the unanounced join.

If you have filed a flight plan, then I think I'd squawk radio failure before continuing to destination if it wasn't too far, or taking the first filed alternate otherwise, then taking the same actions.

This may not be quite in the procedures, but it works for VFR flying. I've not done enough IFR flying to comment there, but I'm sure somebody else can.

G

ShyTorque
10th Nov 2004, 16:21
I would go for the one that is the least hassle for you as the individual.

You won't die from a radio failure VMC so there isn't any rush to land, you might even be able to consider to destination. An overhead join at a smaller airfield where there is fuel would suit the purpose. Remember to close your flightplan after landing to avoid uneccessary overdue action being taken by folks at your planned destination.

Brooklands
10th Nov 2004, 17:23
Two points you would need to consider:

1) You're coming from another country so should be landing at a customs airport.

2) You're coming from Ireland, so the PoT act applies and you ought to land at an airport duely notified for such flights .

Given that you've filed a flight plan to Blackpool, they will have an ETA, I'd be tempted to proceed there and join non-radio. I can't however remember if Blackpool has CAS around it or just an ATZ. If it has CAS you may need to check if they have any special procedures for loss of radio contact. Also if you've been talking an ATCU and they cease to get a response when calling you, they may just alert your destination to that fact that you may have had a radio failure

I suspect that C & I and SB could give you a lot more grief for landing at a non-customs/non-SB airfield than you'd get from ATC for landing non-radio at an airport that's expecting you

Brooklands

FlyingForFun
10th Nov 2004, 17:45
I would continue to Blackpool - partly for all the reasons given above, and also because of a bit of local knowledge... Blackpool ATC are generally very friendly and not likely to give you too much of an ear-bashing!

In fact, I watched a pilot divert into Blackpool non-radio just a few weeks ago. Not sure exactly how he announced his entry (e.g. whether he squawked 7600 or anything like that), but I was at the holding point, waiting for clearance to line up. Heard ATC say "Station on final approach to 28, believe you are non-radio, if you are receiving this go around." Followed shortly after by "Station going around on runway 28, right hand circuit for runway 25, watch for light signals from the tower for your landing clearance."

I chatted briefly to the pilot afterwards. He was more concerned with getting his engine started again than he was with his radio failure (when things go wrong, they go wrong in trumps - it was also the pilot's first flight in an aircraft he'd borrowed from a friend!), and also the fact that his landing was a little bouncy, but didn't seem to have had any grief from ATC as far as I could tell.

FFF
------------

PS - Brooklands, there is no control zone around Blackpool, but it is quite close to Warton MATZ, which might be a minor issue if approaching from the WAL direction. Warton are generally closed at weekends, but not always.

Cat.S
10th Nov 2004, 18:07
Rules for LPL state that if you suffer radio failure whilst in the zone you should squawk 7600 and leave the zone as quickly as possible and if radio failure is prior to entry that you should not attempt to enter.

dublinpilot
10th Nov 2004, 18:14
Thanks guys.

I only gave the route, as that was the route that got me thinking about the problem. It would equally apply to any other trip in UK airspace.

Anyway, the general concensious seems to be to land at the most sensible and appropriate aerodrome, rather than following the aip too strictly, which say to take the "nearest suitable".

Incidently, the AIP gives no specific procedures for radio failure approaching blackpool, so it's follow the generic proceedures.

Thanks for your opinions.

dp

sycamore
10th Nov 2004, 18:53
D-P, I`ll add a few things for you to consider; you should consider a couple of alternates, and enter both on your flight-plan.Consider(read) the further bit in the ENR/AIP about radio failure in IMC( not because you plan to, but it`s difficult to read it if you inadvertently get into it as well!) An abbreviated copy under you flight-plan is useful.
Check the local procedures(Pooleys/whatever) of your destn, and suitable alts,( copies), so that you know what cct. hts, and directions apply, if you divert.
If you are carrying a PLB/ELT(S) as you should, it is useful to have one ready to hand, so that you can set it off should the donkey(ies) go very quiet, especially over the sea.In a serious situation, I`d set it off anyway,and the Txpdr to 7700.The Services then know.
That`s looking at the worst case; you might just have a transmitter failure ,in which case, keep transmitting your intentions as to whether you are continuing, or diverting to XYZ, and a time estimat for ETA and your next call.
When you get to wherever, join o/head, establish the traffic pattern, and then fly the circuit at a safe height, flashing your lights , waggling your wings, and power up/down to attract ATC, until they fire a flare/light.(Green, hopefully....if it`s a flashing red--just not your day).Hope you have no dramas, otherwise you`ll have a few `war-stories` to recount at the `Bash`...:ok:
PS, Valley has SAR 24/7, Woodvale has PoliceASU-- I think?

Genghis the Engineer
10th Nov 2004, 20:19
I have to say, if I was heading for Blackpool and had a complete comms failure I'd be tempted to divert into the BAE airfield at Barrow- it's only a couple of miles away, very well equipped and extremely quiet.

You'd probably get immediately surrounded by security guards, and probably arrested, but that should be a fairly temporary problem once you've made your explanations and from a flight safety viewpoint it would be a very good choice.

G

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
10th Nov 2004, 20:42
It might be worth taking a hand held radio (with suitably charged batteries) in the flight bag for just such an event. I don’t know how well they work inside the cabin without an external antenna, but you could probably hear the ground station.

I’ve used ‘Speechless Code’ across the Solent Zone before now. It works as long as there’s a friendly operator on the ground and it’s only the mic / modulation side of the transmitter that’s not working.

Safe Flying,
WKW

sycamore
10th Nov 2004, 20:48
Ghengis,
get back to nav school; it`s about 345/25nm!!!!:ooh:

Genghis the Engineer
10th Nov 2004, 20:59
The assumption was that he had a comms failure, not any other problem - 25nm (actually it's 23nm) to a safe diversion at an empty airfield is no big deal in most light aircraft.

For that matter if our man has a comms failure about 20nm short of Blackpool on a direct track from Dublin, Barrow from that point would be 28nm - or in other words about 5 minutes extra flying time - the earlier the comms failure is spotted, the less extra flying time.

G

Kolibear
11th Nov 2004, 07:27
So if the comms fails and you've no hand-held radio, whats wronfg with using a mobile to call your destination ATC? Apart from the legalities.

GroundBound
11th Nov 2004, 07:35
I don't think we should get hung up on Blackpool, it was just an example.

Its always been my understanding that you don't penetrate controlled airspace (Class A-D, including control zones) without clearance. If you have received clearance to enter and then have an R/T failure, you may continue (unless published instructions for the aerodrome indicate otherwise).

As long as the airfield ATZ isn't in controlled airspace (A-D), then landing at an airfield with an ATZ should be OK.

Having had an R/T failure in the FIR, we squawked 7600, transmitted blind on the Info freqency with our intentions and diverted to Manston (non-controlled airspace). Transmitted blind on their frequency, joined overhead for a visual circuit and landed - no problems nor recriminations (not even from the DC-8 they had to hold overhead for us).

If inbound to the UK and needing a customs airport, then you have to find one that is outside controlled airspace (but within reasonable range), otherwise land at non customs airfield outside controlled airspace, and contact the authorities immediately.

I stand to be corrected, of course :)

englishal
11th Nov 2004, 10:09
Varies from field to field....

Certain Class D airfeilds have radio failure procedures, along the lines of:

Sqwark 7600, fly to a VRP, and make 5 LH orbits. Enter the zone and join downwind, make an orbit at the end of downwind, turn base and final and land, unless directed otherwise.

Evil J
11th Nov 2004, 17:33
Coming from ATC airfield with class D, we have specific instructions for our locally based aircraft but they are not published. My advice, if your worried about it would be to ring up either ATC at your destination, or one of the based flying clubs and ascertain the local procedures.

Just FYI, we tried our light signals out the other day with a light (no pun intended!!) aircraft in the circuit - it couldn't be seen at all until the airctraft was on the ground!!! This was due to the tint and angle of the tower windows we think - but there aint a lot we can do about it!!

I always fly with a hand-held radio as back-up and would not hesitate to use my mobile phone if push came to sheet.

dublinpilot
11th Nov 2004, 19:26
Thanks for the advise guys.

No I'm not worried about it. With all that cold water and only one engine, there is a lot more serious things to worry about than a simple radio failure. :)

I've never had one, and don't expect one. But I do like to have these things thought about in advance, so they are easier to deal with when the happen unexpectedly. And reading the AIP the term "nearest suitable aerodrome" seemed a little vague. :O

dp

Evil J
11th Nov 2004, 20:08
DP - I suspect it is meant to be vague!!:{ :confused: :confused:

david viewing
12th Nov 2004, 09:25
Had to divert to Wolverhampton due weather coming from Dublin one time. Not a customs airfield but police helicopter unit on the field. No problem other than being told to remain in the aircraft until the rain abated sufficiently for the officers to come out.

I think the golden rule ref SB is to remain in or with the aircraft after landing. I heard of some people who didn't do that and got into quite a lot of trouble.

Ref the mobile phones, a friend of mine did this for real in bad weather and it turned a crisis into a drama.