PDA

View Full Version : Noise and airports

captaink
10th Nov 2004, 15:00
Could someone who has the knowledge enlighten me on this:

I saw a DC8-63 taking off from MAD at late night, how come these birds are still allowed at some airports with all these new european noise restrictions.

Furthermore, where could one easily look for info about which aircrafts are allowed where in Europe ?

Looking forward hearing from the pro,s.

747FOCAL
10th Nov 2004, 15:27
If it is a re-engine DC-8 it will be operating for several more years. Go to Boeing's homepage and type in "airport noise" in the search engine. On the airports noise page you will see links to specific airports. Each airport is allowed to make their own rules as far as what operates and when as long as the aircraft are at least Stage 3/Chapter 3.

tgdxb
10th Nov 2004, 16:04
captaink,
I will make myself foes for this posting but I have been the faulty initiator of postings around noise at BRU. Just in case you are interested you may find useful info if you do a search on brussels airport and look for dhl related forums & take offs from rwy 20.
I woul dbe glad to hear your views.

747FOCAL
10th Nov 2004, 16:07
Oh god will you get off it man. It's obvious you know very little about aircraft/airport noise and are just hanging onto one specific little piece of the pie. I would not be so sure that DHL and the MD-11 will be leaving Brussels.

tgdxb
10th Nov 2004, 16:15
captaink, I am more than happy to be educated - this is actually one thing I was hoping to get from these forums instead of the unuseful blames/complaints/insults/etc. -. would you pls help me better understanding noise issues?

sorry, posting was intended for 747focal

Boss Raptor
10th Nov 2004, 16:42
If it was a -63 with original JT3D's then it most likely had Stage 3 Hushkits...nominally effective but legal all the same, if re-engined with CFM56 then it would be a -73

Cygnus Air in Madrid regularly operate -62F S3 variant and -71/-73 re-engined variant

747FOCAL
10th Nov 2004, 16:43
tgdxb,

Okay I will bite. I usually don't go after people like that, but you must realize that anything that is seen as causing anyone related with commercial aviation to lose their job is not all that welcome here.

What exactly is it you are looking for? :confused:

mutt
10th Nov 2004, 16:44
captaink

Check out http://www.boeing.com/commercial/noise/baragas.html

Stage 3 DC8's are permitted, stage 2 are not.

CHAPTER 2 RESTRICTIONS
Chapter 2 airplanes >75,000 lbs are ban from operating at airports in EU Member States as of April 1, 2002.

Mutt.

tgdxb
11th Nov 2004, 08:42
747focal,
from my earlier engineering studies I remember noise is very much subjective & 'fuzzy' area. So I am trying to get a better understanding of what the limits are at airports around the world, what these limits represent & how their impact on surrounding population are measured and limited. I am familiar with chapter x constraints and engine hushkitting. Tx

captaink
11th Nov 2004, 12:43
Thanks everybody, I will review all the info when I got the time.

And by the way, the DC8 in MAD was definitely not the-73.

747FOCAL
11th Nov 2004, 18:14
Noise is very fuzzy. I suggest you go to the Boeing airport noise website. Everything you want to know is there.

tgdxb
12th Nov 2004, 06:35
I did but it is quite technical and ununderstandable for a non expert IMHO. So it looks like I will have to do some google research.