PDA

View Full Version : Long Haul layovers

xfeed
10th Nov 2004, 14:35
I am interested in knowing what the average layover time is for a long haul pilot flying to/from locations that are served everyday by a major airline. An example: London Heathrow to San Francisco (about 10+ hours) and London Heathrow to Chicago (7+ hours).

Would one day off be the average or two?

Cheers!

mutt
10th Nov 2004, 17:03
Depends on the airline, but you may find that Minimum Legal Rest is quite common.

Mutt.

xfeed
10th Nov 2004, 18:00
Hello Mutt,

Could you please define "Minimum Legal Rest" for me?

Thanks!

Notso Fantastic
10th Nov 2004, 21:46
If you are going to ask questins like that, perhaps an indication of why you want to know or a clue in your profile as to what your interest is about may help.

scroggs
10th Nov 2004, 21:47
In my airline, the minimum rest for flights of greater than 10 hours is 2 local nights. As schedules for long haul tend to be at intervals of one or more days, the minimum stopover for any flight will be 24 hours. San Francisco, LA, and similar distant destinations will be 48 hours. Some flights have less frequent schedules which might require longer stopovers - up to a week in some cases.

xfeed
10th Nov 2004, 23:35
Scroggs,

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the answer.

Notso,

What's your problem with my question? I asked a simple question that I was curious about. I wasn't asking for any company secrets or anything personal like salaries. When you meet people who are interested in your job do you have a problem with that? I am 21 and am interested in a career in aviation. Is this clear enough for you? Lighten up for crickey's sake!

Cheers!

B737NG
11th Nov 2004, 11:31
The Airplane lands at 14:30 local time after a 11 hour flight and is turned around in 90 Min. You leave to the Hotel about 15:15 and your pickup is the next day 13:30 local time. One hour to the Airport as transportation time in some cases and then 16:00 hrs that day you fly back. This is a normal example if the schedule to that destination is daily. If you have 3 flights per week on 2,4,6 then you get 2 or 3 local nights rest there. In some weard cases you deadhead back in the same Aircraft you operated in. Complex subject, the rules are diffrent worldwide and a lot is legal under one AOC while another AOC from another state is not permitting the same practice. Often are labor agreements more restrictive then the law. Pilots are sometimes surprised how much more they would be allowed to do but labor agreement is more restrictive.

NG

xfeed
12th Nov 2004, 14:19
Thanks NG! That was the information I was looking for with a nice breakdown. I appreciate it.

Cheers!

JW411
12th Nov 2004, 16:06
When I flew for GK, we used to have a 48-hour layover in LAX after a flight from LGW. This proved to be not good for your health for you were on the ground in LAX just about long enough to start getting into local time.

The result of this was that you were doubly knackered on return to UK with two lots of 10-hour time shifts.

We went on to 24-hour layovers after a while and, whilst it was not so much fun socially, it was much kinder to the body for you never really got into Californian time.

Notso Fantastic
13th Nov 2004, 06:08
xfeed- a question here about how long crews have off in XX and a question elsewhere on where they stay and as far as I am concerned you have a security problem. If you won't say upfront what your interest is I have no trust of you. It wasn't so long ago a terrorist group targeted (and killed) crews on a layover, and in London at that. I think it better such things were not aired. Call it neurosis if you like, but I think there is a reason for it.

mr Q
13th Nov 2004, 06:35
security problem ? Notso. ( Horrible Pun ) I am sure glad you are not running the security services Notso. This e-mail would probably merit a home visit................
Want to know what crews stay where ?? Follow the crew bus. Sit in the hotel lobby. Ask the pouting trolley dolly how long her stopover is...........
\Paranoia....

srjumbo
13th Nov 2004, 14:45
X-feed
If all you are interested in knowing about flying is the layovers then can I suggest you become a rep for a package holiday firm!

Lou Scannon
14th Nov 2004, 16:37
JW411
I was back in Santa Monica a month ago. The old crew hotel has been pulled down and a new one erected in its place.
If only walls could talk!

earnest
14th Nov 2004, 19:10
If all you are interested in knowing about flying is the layovers then can I suggest you become a rep for a package holiday firm!
Don't listen to him. The flying can be great but some layovers can be awesome! :ok:

xfeed
15th Nov 2004, 02:39
Notso,

I don't believe I asked WHERE crew stayed on a layover but I will re-check my post. I was only using SF and Chicago as examples so that you could understand what distances I was referring to. I fail to see where my post posed any security risks. I was simply curious to know if a flight of 3600nm/5200nm would have the crew off one day or two.

Cheers

Dengue_Dude
19th Nov 2004, 17:52
I'm on a 3 day layover in Kuwait at the moment, but reading this reminded me of a strange phenomenon.

When we don't fly, most of us get cranky and wish we were.

When we get airborne, we do anything we can to SHORTEN the trip, go directs requested with gay abandon, slightly higher IAS when LRC says 'slow down' .

Strange. The Air Force and three airlines so far - all the same.

Nowt as queer as folk eh?

av8boy
19th Nov 2004, 18:31
JW and Lou,

If you gentlemen were among those who camped at King George V on those layovers in Santa Monica (the OLD, beat-to-hell-but-wonderful King George V Pub on Santa Monica Blvd, not the newer (what? 10 or 12 years now?), sterile one off the Promenade, and NOT the King's Head...), perhaps you can enlighten me… Whenever I was in there for my Guinness, three or four or five times a week, the Brit pilots were always drinking Budweiser. What the heck is the deal with that? Yeah, I know… some people like it. But it seemed more institutionalized than that. I half-expected to see a Mr. Smoke-Too-Much, Eric Idle “Tourist” sketch predicated on Budweiser instead of Watney’s spontaneously break out. Thoughts?

Dave

PS Which one of you were sitting next to me at that very bar on the afternoon of the day the Challenger was lost (28 Jan 1986)?

srjumbo
20th Nov 2004, 06:10
Ahhh... The King's head.......ten Buds and then to The Huntley for a free buffet.....Long Island Iced Teas and then the sunset. Lovely memories!

JW411
22nd Nov 2004, 09:36
av8boy:

With our lot it tended to be the Kings Head but the company went bust in 1982.

If you had ever sampled proper Guinness brewed in Dublin you would never be able to face the stuff served up in Santa Monica.

As for Watneys, haven't you heard the bit about "Don't take the piss out of Watneys. It's the only flavour it's got!"?

av8boy
22nd Nov 2004, 15:53
Have done the Guinness in Dublin, and all I can say is, any port in a storm... :O As for the Watneys... my point exactly!

In that we appear to have had only one year of overlap in our SMO drinking, I suppose it's unlikely we ever sat at the same bar. Tragic.

mutt
24th Nov 2004, 03:22
av8boy,

Did you know that crews are tight when it comes to paying for things... Imported Guinness versus local Budweiser!! :):) They will go for the cheap local...

Mutt http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/guin.gif