PDA

View Full Version : Grass Strips - current condition

topcat450
10th Nov 2004, 07:59
Speaking to a friend yesterday, he's trying to find out the current condition of the grass strips around the country (in particular the midlands-ish).

After the current spell of awful weather it seems a lot are not really useable at the moment, so has anyone any first hand experience of sywell, hucknell, sibson... derby etc (plus others around there I've not mentioned) at the moment?

Genghis the Engineer
10th Nov 2004, 09:08
Not really your area but at the weekend I flew from three in the South.

Popham - slippery but useable, circuits were banned.

Sandown - restricted width due to muddy bits near the edges, but no particular problem.

Old Sarum - pretty much normal (it's always been well drained).

Hope that may be of some use,

G

Mark 1
10th Nov 2004, 11:11
Hucknall is in fine condition. In fact I've not known any waterlogging in all the years I've been there (the peri-track is another matter).
There's a re-seeded patch near the 22 threshold that's safe but best avoided.

cubflyer
11th Nov 2004, 21:29
At Leicester the Grass is notamed closed, so I dont know the actual condition, but the grass where people have been parking the club aircraft is pretty muddy and wet!
Landed at Fenland today (in the RV-6), no problems there, although was sliding around a little.
If its wet at Sywell then hopefully someone might roll it and get rid of some of the bumps!

LowNSlow
12th Nov 2004, 04:39
Two weeks ago it took me nearly an hour with hosepipe, brush and cloth to remove what seemed like 15% of Rush Green from the Auster.

david viewing
12th Nov 2004, 09:09
Derby this Wednesday perfectly OK but strictly PPR be sure to call them first.

camaro
12th Nov 2004, 11:40
Netherthorpe okay, but PPR as can change quite quickly.

EGBKFLYER
12th Nov 2004, 12:25
03/21 at Sywell is boggy on the centreline but not to bad if you use the eastern side.
15/33 is soft but useable
23/05 is unlicensed (nothing to do with the wx!) and is soft but useable
Parts of the manoeuvering area are soft - we moved a Gazelle heli to the concrete on Monday when it began to sink!

In general, could be worse but we don't want any more prolonged rain at the mo...

These details correct as of Thursday 11 Nov - give us a call in the Tower if you need anything more detailed...

Floppy Link
12th Nov 2004, 13:00
at Perth the grass runway is notam'd closed
(I think)

plus there's a sign, please don't park on the grass - waterlogged.