View Full Version : Controllers - working and break periods

mk_74_at
20th Jan 2001, 19:24
Hi, Controllers!
I'd be interrested in how long you have to sit in front of the radar-scope (or in the tower) for one period of work - before you get a break and how long this break normally lasts.
For example, in Austria we have normally breaks of 30 minutes (except the lunch-break for one hour) and our single period of work during high workloads in summer lasts up to three hours.
Sometimes I find it a little hard to unwind during this breaks, so I'd like to know for how long you are on break and what you do to relax.

5milesbaby
20th Jan 2001, 20:22
mk_74_AT - on the radar view at LATCC,it depends on which position you are at. Some are a max of 1 1/2 hrs, some two. This depends on complexity and how busy it is/can get. Minimum break is 30 mins, and we don't get recognised 'lunch' breaks. Each sector has its allocation of staff for each duty, so we work it fairly between ourselves. Nearly every controller is valid on at least two sectors, so if one is very quiet, whilst another is ballistic, the other can be 'loaned' a controller for the ballistic period. On quiet days like today, I've worked 30mins on radar, 1 hr break all morning. Quite usually though, its either 1 hr on radar, 30 mins break or 45 mins on, 45mins off. But then comes NERC....... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by 5milesbaby (edited 20 January 2001).]

airfox
21st Jan 2001, 01:00
I SMELL A RAT !!!!!

BuzzLightyear
21st Jan 2001, 02:28
Working in Austria? Journalistic licence perhaps?

------------------
To infinity and beyond

Warped Factor
21st Jan 2001, 03:27
Well, check out the link in his profile. Gone to a lot of trouble if it's to create a cover story.....

WF.

AyrTC
21st Jan 2001, 03:57
WF
Yeah well be that as it may I still cannot believe that anybody who has been working in ATC for sometime could post a thread like he did in the "drink" thread.
I am sure Markus is a genuine guy (nice homepage) but surely a little naive about
"relaxing" in ATC after work .Maybe thats why he asked the question for this thread.It would be interesting to get some more diverse Austrian opinion on these topics

Ayr TC.

BuzzLightyear
21st Jan 2001, 04:25
Yeah fair enough, visited the web page. Bet he's got a copy of TRACON for his PC too!

------------------
To infinity and beyond

ATC Watcher
21st Jan 2001, 11:35
Hello Markus,
Nice Web site. For your question, why do not ask VOFVL, ( ask for Daniel ) to lend you the IFATCA Information Handbook, you will find in it the information you are looking for, and from nearly 100 States..
Tchuuus..

Warped Factor
21st Jan 2001, 16:13
AyrTC,

Would you have picked up the subtleties of the sarcasm etc in the drinks thread if it was written in a language that was not English, or for that matter, Scottish :) and wasn't in your native tongue?

WF.

atc_ring
22nd Jan 2001, 02:43
Hi mk,
here in ATHACC it all depends on the traffic load of a sector, i.e. in heavy sectors (especially in summer) you work for 1.5 hours and take a 1 to 1.5 hour break. Then you might work an easy sector for a couple of hours and have a 3/4 hours break. There are no lunch breaks, you just nibble something during one of your breaks!
What you do with your break time is entirely up to you. (most people watch telly or play backgammon :)...)