PDA

View Full Version : Flight Computers

markham320
8th Nov 2004, 17:21
Hello,

I am a student pilot and about to start using flight computers. I have a choice between Student E6-B, the CRP-1 or the CRP-5 flight computers.

I would like to get a good computer, with a good price, and provides everything for the PPL (possibly making it as easy as possible for my calculations).

Which FC do you recommend?

Thanks,

markham320

Ian_Wannabe
8th Nov 2004, 17:54
Hey man hows it going - I've only used the CPR1 and I can tell you that its been perfectly fine for my training, everything is clear and its smaller than some others that Ive seen which is always handy when in the cockpit. The instruction manual is a bit awful but I find that its best to learn your computer by actually trying to work out calculations as if you were going on a flight...

They're the ones that transair etc choose with their packages, I assume this is because its affordable?

Just my opinion with what I've used, I hope this helps!

Ian

redsnail
8th Nov 2004, 19:22
If you intend to go onto the ATPL theory, get the CRP 5. If you don't, then either the CRP 1 or the E6B. (I haven't used the E6B, I have used the CRP 1)

FlyingForFun
8th Nov 2004, 20:28
Assuming you are in the UK.....

I can't speak for other instructors, but I used a CRP-1 for my PPL and a CRP-5 for my ATPL exams - the two are almost identical. I've seen E6Bs, but I've never actually used one. If a student comes to me with a question about a CRP-1 the chances are I'll know the answer. A question about an E6B, though, and it's unlikely I'll be able to help without reading the manual... and I may or may not have time to do that.

So my answer would be the CRP-5 if you have any thoughts of ever becoming a commercial pilot, or the CRP-1 otherwise. Stay away from the E6B - not because it's inferior (it may or may not be, I don't know) but because your instructor might not be as conversant with it if you have problems.

FFF
---------------

englishal
9th Nov 2004, 07:42
Buy the cheapest. You'll never use it after you "qualify" :D

Ian_Wannabe
9th Nov 2004, 17:48
Sorry to maybe hijack this thread, but really englishal?

I've been saying for months (due to bad weather!) that i'm so very nearly one of you guys..... but I always thought that the wizz wheel would be used on a regular basis? I know it varies with what kinda flying you do with your PPL once you get it but.....

englishal
9th Nov 2004, 18:54
I use an Ipaq, (or rule of thumb - "yea, its a head wind we'll get a GS of 100kts:D ) , its Soooooo much simpler. I don't worry if the battery fails, I'll pull out my electronic flight computer. If that fails, I'll wing it.... ;)

Ian_Wannabe
9th Nov 2004, 20:23
Fair enough englishal!

Tinstaafl
10th Nov 2004, 03:31
I use my whiz wheel all the time at work, both ground & airborne. But it's a convenient pocket size 3 3/4" Jepp CR circular type, not a bulky slide type.

FlyingForFun
10th Nov 2004, 08:23
I prefer to use the whiz-wheel whenever I'm actually going anywhere. (Oh to be able to afford to do enough of my own flying to actually go somewhere, rather than let students take me places, but that's not the point!!!)

But there are plenty of other alternatives, ranging from staying in the local area that you know, to flying from one town to the next or following line features such as roads or coasts or railway lines, to electronic equivalents - or just eyeballing the chart and coming up with a sensible heading (pretty much the way you will be, or have been, taught to do unplanned diversions). Nothing wrong with any of these (so long as you have an appropriate backup if you're relying on things like batteries, of course)... but there are those of us who are sufficiently <insert your own word here> to prefer the manual method!

FFF
---------------

IO540
10th Nov 2004, 09:10
I always navigate 100% IFR (GPS/VOR/DME/ADF) and it is easy to estimate the required offset for the actual wind.

The typical error in Form 214 is such that the accuracy of the slide rule (if used correctly) exceeds the accuracy of the original data, and a rule of thumb is just as good.

I have never used my slide rule for any real flying. It is a relic from WW1, and as it can only really be used on the ground if one really wants accurate headings (how do you get accurate wind data?) one can use an electronic equivalent.

Tinstaafl
10th Nov 2004, 15:22
I don't precalculate GS/HDG etc. I use Track as Heading & TAS as GS then adjust in-flight.

But for good GS & (sometimes) drift calculations across tracts of the Oz GAFA to find some speck in the middle of nowhere I use my CR a lot.

Similarly if I want to get on track GS using a DME up to 45 deg off track.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Nov 2004, 15:53
I confess that being a sad engineering type I've got a bit of a collection of assorted slide rules - including several flight computers of various types.

The one I like best, and lives in my flight bag for everyday use, is my CRP-1. I have used both versions of the E6B - in use they're virtually the same as the CRP-1; but I'd not recommend the metal E6b for the simple reason that it bends too easily out of shape if sat on - the card one is scruffier, but much more durable (and probably the cheapest thing on the market).

The CRP-5 is basically a posher CRP-1, and I'd be very happy to own one.

Basically they're all the same - but in general if you want a Rolls-Royce FC, get a CRP-5, on the other hand if you are on a tight budget buy the £15 laminated carboard E6b (or Pooley's equivalent, the CRP-4). But any of these will be quite good enough for learning and any normal PPL (and most CTPL) flying. For that matter, a WW2 era RAF "Dalton Computer" will do most of what you want, it just might not use knots or litres.

G

N.B. I use my FC for virtually any flight of more than an hour's duration.

N.B.B. I don't suppose anybody has a set of instructions for a Jeppessen CR5 or similar have they - I have one in my collection but there's a few of the cleverer functions on it I haven't worked out for myself.

Tinstaafl
13th Nov 2004, 19:17
Ghengis, I have several instruction books for CRs. Not sure where they all are though. Pretty sure some are in Oz although a lot of my stuff is being shipped to the US. Not sure whether or not my spare CR manual(s) are included.

If so I'll send you one when (if?) they arrive with the rest of my book collection that's being shipped. Alternatively, if you let me know what functions I might be able to describe the technique simply or I can always scan the pages from the one I have here & email them to you.

Whirlygig
14th Nov 2004, 10:58
Whether you go for a CRP-1 or a CRP-5 (depending on your long term ambitions), consider getting one with a Wind Arm. It saves having to draw lines on the computer - I've found it quite handy.

I still use mine for flight planning but, as a helicopter, don't use it in flight! Have to do it all in me head. Oh to have a hand free somtimes!!!

Cheers

Whirlygig

Thirty06
14th Nov 2004, 21:17
I bought the el cheapo CRP4.

It's okay for flight planning, but be careful when preparing for the nav exam. The slide can wobble a bit in the outer and you can get an error which gives you an answer halfway between two of the multi choice answers.

I had to use the thing today after letting it gather dust for over two years, still have the instruction booklet luckily.