PDA

View Full Version : Those that can - do

Bern Oulli
13th Sep 2001, 10:44
We all know that there is a shortage of ATCOs both in the UK and world-wide. There is also a shortage of instructors, especially at a certain educational establishment on the south coast of England. If anyone out there fancies a short (or long) stay in the sunnier climes of the UK, especially if you have worked in Class D airspace, write a letter. Stop moaning about "what are they teaching student ATCs nowadays" - put your money where your mouth is. You should be able to work out where to send it. If you don't work in the UK there is still a need for ICAO licensed instuctors for what are known as the "overseas courses". That is probably politically incorrect, but geographically true.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
13th Sep 2001, 23:29
Does the offer extend to military controllers who have worked in Class D airspace?
:D :D :D

Bern Oulli
14th Sep 2001, 23:33
WBS
The short answer is "It could be well worth writing to find out". Not all instructors at the palace of excellence of wot I speak have to have CAA licenses. Furthermore, and hot off the press today, it is the intention to reduce the proportion of licensed instructors by 20% over the next two years. Please note the careful use of the word "proportion".

Disregard my next transmission.

Bright-Ling
15th Sep 2001, 11:57
Bern....

.....if I didn't know who you are I would think that this is just a way of TAG saving advertising space in Flight International!!!

Hope you get the slots filled! I'd be there tomorrow if the rules were different!!

Speak soon,

B-L

Bern Oulli
16th Sep 2001, 19:47
Hi B-L (do I know you?)
What rule(s) do you want changed??

Push Approved
16th Sep 2001, 20:27
Work out a deal to let me keep my validation at Sussex International, (with appropriate terms and conditions of course), and I'll be there tomorrow.

Push
:p

Northumbrian
16th Sep 2001, 22:37
OK, here's the deal I have to offer:- 9 years RAF aircrew + 30 years valid at EGCC (and still operating the megahertz) inc. 25 yr. APP/ADC, 20+ Area, APP/ADC/Area simultaneously valid for c 18 years, CSC validity, LCE, OJTI, examiners rating, inc. 1st. validity. Want, present salary + £12k, payable immediately upon transfer, pensionable and to be increased according to normal pay negotiatitions, rented accommodation, paid for until I retire in 3.5 years as I don't want to be posted and would want to commute from my home in Cheshire.

[ 16 September 2001: Message edited by: Northumbrian ]

[ 16 September 2001: Message edited by: Northumbrian ]

2 sheds
17th Sep 2001, 01:27
B-L and Berny

Parhaps the allusion is to the alleged requirement for experience in Class D airspace?

I say alleged because I believe that this is a manufactured requirement, is NOT specified by SRG - if you read the CAP - and it's about time somebody challenged it. (It's also entirely illogical if a) you have a UK licence and b) have held a certificate of competence anywhere, e.g. if you can work in Class G, what's the problem with Class D where it's all controlled?

ATCO Two
17th Sep 2001, 02:44
Hi B O,

What's the word on the street about the Watch Manager jobs at CATC? Have they got names on already? Any other information gratefully received.

Bright-Ling
17th Sep 2001, 11:25
Bern....

I was referring to the 5 yr requirement - otherwise I would be there tomorrow!

2 sheds....

As I understand it, you don't have have had a Class D validation to instruct, only to Verify/Assess

ATCO 2....

Again, my spies tell me that a number of staff (at least 10!!) are to apply from within. I think the VN may have closed now though - but I might be wrong.

2 sheds
19th Sep 2001, 02:46
Bright-ling

I shall have to check on the assessor/verifier point, but they *have* claimed - quite incorrectly as far as I understand the requirements - that a Class D certificate of competence was necessary for employment as an instructor. Somebody who challenged this with SRG just got a whole load of b*llsh*t in reply.
If anyone else is fed this line, challenge NATS(what a give-away)to justify it from the regulating documents, not just from someone's inaccurate understanding or recollection of them!!

Sheds

Bern Oulli
20th Sep 2001, 02:36
Wow! Lots of interest. Let me clear up a couple of things. Firstly the "Class D" business.
Previous experience in Class D airspace is not, repeat NOT, a prerequisite to be an instructor at the College.
Bright-Ling is quite correct however, it is a requirement if you want to be an Assessor or Verifier. You won't find that bit written down anywhere, least of all in CAP584.
Nor is it a requirement of the College. I agree that it is quite nonsensical and illogical and I am know that the College would love to ditch that rule.

Second - Watch Managers at CATC. Yes the VN has closed, there were more than 10 applicants, most but not all from the College, and the paper sift has not yet taken place.
A temporary Watch Manager has been appointed w.e.f.1st Oct. and the other Watch Manager post will be taken by one of our existing Heads of Study.

Push Approved - you should get out more.
Northumbrian - lower your sights somewhat, remove rose-tinted specs, and email me.
Bright-Ling - that is a rule that I don't think is bendable.

Snellington
22nd Sep 2001, 03:30
The only problem is that LATCC can't release anyone at the moment otherwise I'd be straight there. One recent recruit waited 3 years to get the OK.