PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to go-around

Low Fidelity
8th Nov 2004, 07:57
Hi all

I was wondering if you could all put your heads together and use your collective experience to produce a list of the most common reasons for a go-around to be carried out.

I'm particularly thinking about commercial ops here and more specifically how flight deck automation may contribute to the issue.

The motivation is mainly because I'm a curious soul and more importantly because I've been asked to do some research in the area!

Any contribution would be most gratefully welcomed.

Ta

Low Fi

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Nov 2004, 08:23
As a retired air traffic controller with over 35 years experience I would say the most common cause is a blocked runway. The go-arounds I experienced due to a/c technical problems were few and far between. Blocked runways can be caused by many factors - landing a/c ahead bursts a tyre (fairly common)... one ahead misses a turn-off and has to go to next one... towing a/c slow to clear, etc. Also a runway inspection may turn up a broken light fitting or something similar. Some way down the list would be go-arounds due to LVPs - maybe many on a single morning but over a long period they would be comparatively few.

Doors to Automatic
8th Nov 2004, 08:25
I expect if the other threads on this subject are anything to go by is that all you will get from the numerous prima donnas on this site is a barrage of abuse.

So me start the ball rolling from a non-pilot's perspective; most common factors thus:

1. Runway blocked by departing/arriving aircraft in front
2. Cabin not secure for landing
3. Aircraft not in a position from where a safe landing can be completed (e.g. too high, fast or displaced by strong crosswinds)
4. Minimum visibility requirments not met at decision height (e.g. low vis approach where weather drops below minimums)
5. Some kind of equipment failure on final (e.g. landing gear not showing as down)

slingsby
8th Nov 2004, 13:13
Most common would be minimum separation from preceeding traffic providing wake turbulence hasn't already precipitated the g/a switches and then that traffic not clearing the runway. All of the above from the esteemed Heathrow Director.
Any number of config warnings.
Weather related, cross wind exceeding limits, windshear, microbursts etc
Runway incursions either by rogue animals, vehicles or indeed other aircraft. Birds (large visible flocks) if seen or advised can precipitate a g/a.

Any number of connotations could cause you to discontinue the approach, it will be PIC or ATCO initiated dependant on the circumstances.

chiglet
8th Nov 2004, 21:11
As a Pax, G/A due to "hot and high" apc
As a J/S, G/A due to "unsecure cabin"
As an ATCer "sudden squall" ...a/c in the flare :ok:
"lower than minimums"
"crosswind"
"departing a/c vortex" :confused:
"pax in the loo"
"no nose wheel" :{ [landed ok later]
I could go on, but I think you get the point. The reasons are as many and varied as th a/c types
watp.iktch

Jerricho
8th Nov 2004, 21:36
I have had a tower call:

"Umm, the NWA is going around cause there's a half dead seagull flapping around about 3500 feet down the runway.......oh wait, it's dead."

B737NG
9th Nov 2004, 08:19
Because of the call made by one of the Cockpit crew members as they see the Aircraft not in a position to make a safe landing. As simple as that sounds as difficult that is as a lot of people think it is a shame to do so. It is better then burst a few tires or even worse overrun and park in the opposite approach lights or in the localizer antenna.... Aircrafts are designed to fly... they are safer in the sky then in the middle between ground and air. I hope that is short enough to give you a simple explanation when you fell not comfortable then better throw it away and do another one, or, if it doesnt work>> divert!.

NG

Low Fidelity
9th Nov 2004, 12:40
Thanks for the input guys

I guess my question is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?". However in the event that the g/a is called by the PIC because the aircraft has inappropriate speed or height to safely continue the approach, what do you consider to be the main reasons for getting into this situation?

Please don't think I'm on a finger pointing exercise, I understand totally that g/a's are a very positive thing from a flight safety aspect and i'm not really concerned with the procedure itself. I'm more interested in the possible Human Factors issues that lead up to the event. Kinda just want some food for thought (I'm lacking inspiration!)

Low Fi

Kilo-club SNA
9th Nov 2004, 12:51
There are a thousand reasons why you would find yourself in a "hot and high" situation. maybe you accepted to keep the speed up or a tight turn onto a visual approach. There are plenty of reasons, belive me. :)

BANANASBANANAS
10th Nov 2004, 07:46
If my backside is sucking up the seat cushion its time to Go Around!

Airbus Girl
13th Nov 2004, 20:59
Most common reason I've seen for crew induced go-around is:-
descent mis-managed
rushed approach, sometimes exacerbated by ATC
poor ATC vectoring
winds not as reported (usually in Spain!), ie. you get 15 knots + tailwind down the approach when you were expecting a head wind (we call it the "Spanish Calm" phenomenon - in Spain the wind always seems to be "calm" even when its 15 knots).
distraction by something else (traffic separation, technical, etc.)

angels
15th Nov 2004, 07:39
As a pax I've experienced three go arounds.

One, going into Miami, was due to the fact that our plane got too close to the plane in front (the captain came on and said this).

The other two were in Singapore and were weather-related, something that doesn't seem to have cropped up on this thread. In Singapore -- and throughout SE Asia -- you get intense squalls of wind and rain which affect air operations.

One of the go-arounds was actually a touch and go! We had to land at the alternate on Bataam (Indonesia) and I got the ferry back home!