PDA

View Full Version : Where's my MATS Pt1?

Gonzo
10th Sep 2001, 21:27
I recently cleaned out my pigeon hole at work, and there was a memo from our Manager ATC saying that very soon I will no longer be given any more updates to my MATS Pt.1.

If a controller wishes to familiarise themselves with its contents, apparently a current copy will be kept in the briefing unit!

Are other units going the same way? Is it just me, or do other people think this isn't such a good idea?

Gonzo.

Rad1
10th Sep 2001, 22:28
Outside the hallowed employ of NATS you will find that few units provide each of their controllers with their own MATS 1.

I could make one or two other points about how well NATS people are looked after but I'll leave it at that for the moment!

stopbar
10th Sep 2001, 22:42
Welcome to the real world folks. Just to make your day the MATS pt 1 amendments now cost well over £40.00. The price has increased over 100% in three years. When I complained to Documedia I was told it was the producer of the document (CAA) who was responsible. Having realised I was being given the runaround I returned to my box...and cancelled my subscription!

Rodge the Dodge
10th Sep 2001, 23:14
...and not all NATS Units give their ATCOs a copy of MATS part 2, let alone amendments to their Part 1......

:(

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Sep 2001, 23:47
At LATCC we're being issued with CDs containing the MATS Part II - and they're very well produced too. Trouble is a lot of people don't own PCs (believe it or not!). The AIP is also available on CD so I guess the MATS Part I will eventually go down that track. We have electronic briefing too where local instructions are available on PCs.

Cuddles
11th Sep 2001, 00:09
So, students are leaving the college with just enough knowledge to pass the courses, and are having to hand their MATS part 1 in on the way out. Our unit has had plenty bookwork knowledge problems (and I'm not blameless here) in the past, and they now look set to continue.

£40 per year, 1 MATS pt 1 per ATCO, 3000 ATCOs (I'm guessing here)

TAG saving the princely sum of £120.000 PA

Wouldn't it be cheaper to do away with the beancounters who make these foolish short sighted decisions?
:mad: :mad:

Spotnik
11th Sep 2001, 01:43
Yes, I've had to ask and ask for a copy and updates of a MATS part II at my unit but to no avail. Thus I'm not surprised that half my colleagues don't seem to know what they're doing, why they are doing it or how to do their job just that little extra bit professionally.

Its typical when cutting back to nibble away at little things that don't save much money but p**s people of big time. If you want to have a professional and safe company running ATC then you are just going to have to spend some money. Its a fact of commercial life.

Some people are interested in the job and are proud of the level of professionalism and knoweledge of procedures - it should be kept that way and encouraged. Lack of knowledge isn't necessarily going to lead directly to incidents and accidents but it sure will be one of those contributing factors that sit along the path to an almighty catatrophe. Thats when it starts getting expensive...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

recommended spacing
11th Sep 2001, 03:40
Who ever said that safety was never likely to be compromised to save money!!

It's all well and good having a pt1 at every unit, but how often do we get the time at work to sit down and look at it, my breaks are just that, a break, the last thing I want to do is look at the pt1 and try and figure out what's been added since the last time I looked, at least with y own copy (and updates) I can do it at me lisure.

Why not photocopy the ammenmendt and issue them (gives the admin staff mething to do!)

Whipping Boy's SATCO
11th Sep 2001, 09:47
Why not put it on the Web? Then sad gits like us could read it in our spare time.