PDA

View Full Version : CAA PPL validity - daft question?

windy1
6th Nov 2004, 20:48
Browsing the CAA website "Scheme of Charges", I notice that new PPL's are valid 5 yrs and "renewals" are valid 5 yrs.

I got my PPL in 1987: Should I expect a letter soon with a demand for money?

BEagle
6th Nov 2004, 21:28
No.

In 1987 you would have been granted a UK PPL which, if you is valid 'for the holder's lifetime unless revoked, suspended or varied'. Whereas the JAR-FCL has to be re-issued every 5 years irrespective of Rating validity; currently that costs £59 for absolutely $od all. An utter con trick which I pointed out at the time that JARocracy came in, but which was brushed over by the deceitful people at the CAA who forced it on us.....

If you ever think of changing your UK PPL to a JAR-FCL PPL, DON'T!!

windy1
6th Nov 2004, 21:35
thanks for that clarification and advice, BEagle

I suppose it is completely unthinkable that - if the CAA presided over that particular revenue-raising stunt, they would never ever revoke those everlasting provisions!

UV
7th Nov 2004, 16:00
Good question. I have an ATPL which expires next year and I dont forsee the need to renew.
So can I ask for a duplicate Life Long PPL, which I have mislaid and which is no longer issued?!!
Thinks, perhaps I had better address this question direct to the CAA!
UV

Genghis the Engineer
7th Nov 2004, 16:05
I'm in a similar position; how do you actually apply for your renewed licence?, or do they just send you a bill?

G

BEagle
7th Nov 2004, 16:24
Sorry - they don't send you a bill!

See http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=461 . From there you download and print the relevant form (1102), and send it off with the relevant cheque or credit card details to the Belgrano thieves.

Superpilot
10th Nov 2004, 17:55
Umm, pardon one for sounding thick, but my JAA PPL is 4 years old this year. Does this mean I have to obey the NEW JAR rules too? :confused:

BEagle
10th Nov 2004, 19:07
Yes. You were issued with a JAR-FCL licence, so JAR-FCL requirements apply.......

Have a look in your licence under IX Validity and you'll see that it says This licence is to be re-issued not later than...... followed by a date. This is probably NOT the same as the Valid until date on your RATINGS - CERTIFICATE OF REVALIDATION page.

The Belgrano numpties haven't made things easier by referring to the process, quite incorrectly, as 'Licence Renewal'. It isn't, it's a re-issue and they just want to take your money for doing absolutely nothing. Thanks, Des.........