PDA

View Full Version : Ski plane flying

Rood
6th Nov 2004, 19:24
Is there a club that offers ski plane flying lessons in the Banff region ?

Having done float flying , which is best thing in the world, I`d like trying it on frozen water

Thanks in advance

flyndad
10th Nov 2004, 17:58
Unfortunately not. Most clubs are in and around Calgary and all are on wheels. If you need info feel free to pm me.

compressor stall
19th Nov 2004, 00:36
Did a ski plane course earlier this year in Talkeetna.

6 hours dual in a Taylorcraft (reckon it was a bit more each flight, but did not watch the clock) plus a week's accommodation in a new small cute wooden cottage for USD$1000.

Several hours up around the Ruth Glacier and around Mt McKinley. Stunning.

mutant
12th Dec 2004, 18:09
Sudbury Aviation flies on skis from late Dec. to April. I know it isn't any where near Banff!!!
You can do a winter bush course or even a night rating, with the runway marked with flare pots. Great fun!!

MLS-12D
14th Dec 2004, 22:46
Here's a link (http://www.sudburyaviation.on.ca/flight_school/flight_school.html) for Sudbury Aviation ("all training is carried out on floats in the summer and skis in the winter").

Left Coaster
15th Dec 2004, 09:12
Sounds fun..but I would seriously recommend a Mountain flying course before you strike out on the skiing thing. Those who have no experience in the Rockies in little (or big) aircraft shouldn't be playing around until they have taken all the required courses. Look to the flat lands to learn, then have a go at the rocks.

Rood
25th Dec 2004, 08:53
Thanks for information on Sudbury. I was born there and would love to go home to fly on floats and skis. But until I become rich I think I`ll have to wait.

MLS-12D
29th Dec 2004, 04:24
Sorry, can't help you there! But hopefully you will save up and "become rich" soon enough! :ok: