View Full Version : An Apology to Scottish Controllers

Raw Data
8th Nov 2000, 23:42
Sorry to hang around in your forum...

On behalf of pilots everywhere, I would just like to apologise to the Scottish controller that had to put up with a BA pilot trying to tell him his job last night as we all merrily went around the the TARTN (or was it TWEED?) hold waiting for EDI to accept us. One can only assume that he was running out of fuel due to inadequate planning on his part. What a prat.

Let's try and be nice to each other, OK?

10W
9th Nov 2000, 00:29
Thanks for entering the lion's den RD. It was my team on last night so I'll find out who it was and pass the message on for you.

Edinburgh had major problems due to unavailable taxiways I understand (breaking up due to the inclement weather ?). The River Almond was also extremely close to flooding the 24 threshold end (around a 1 foot rise in the river level was all it was going to take). So patience in the situation was appreciated.

I'll have a listen to our Birdseed friend this week to see if there's any lessons to be learnt !! If it had been me on the sector, I might just have been able to resist a JetBlast like comment to him, but maybe not !! :)

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

NDB Alpha
9th Nov 2000, 00:46
Likewise I'd like to appologise to some NZ controllers that have to put up with the antics of one of our captains. He used to be a controller and takes every opportunity to make an **** out of himself, believing he knows better than the current controllers.

There is nothing worse than sitting next to the pratt and possibly being tarred by the same brush when he queries clearances, pushes for what he considers are better clearances, tries to do the job for the controllers. Personally, I wish that he would crawl back into his hole, as he gives us all a bad name.

Congratulations go to the guys that just ignore him, it's gotta be a hard thing to do! I know that I would probably just let fly with some of the cr@p he puts down! After all, we're only flying a 31, it's not as if he's any more important than anyone else!!

NudgingSteel
9th Nov 2000, 03:43
The major EDI problem was due to B1 being under water therefore u/s. Each 06 departure had to wait for the inbound to vacate before entering at C1 and backtracking the whole length ahead of the next inbound.....15 mile spacings required (not to mention the ground movement nightmares), hence the holding. Coupled with all the other problems (ATIS, G/P,twys) a fun 16 hours!
BTW a big cheers to the crews who didn't complain, also TLA and GAL for the reciprocal runway coordinations.......

Raw Data
9th Nov 2000, 04:07
Not just B1 being under a lot of water, C1 started developing potholes and I understand the AD was closed for a while to position some steel plates.

So when do we get 30/12 back again then???

Hey NDBAlpha, not flying in NZ are you? Be nice to make contact if you are, being a kiwi and all...

[This message has been edited by Raw Data (edited 09 November 2000).]

passepartout
9th Nov 2000, 07:03
Big shout to my mate nudging,
EDI had serious problems yesterday, we were within ,literally, a couple of inches of having to close the airfield.
First problem B1 closed so all aircraft had to backtrack from Charlie.
At first we had to utilise a pack and gap excersise due to the fact we had an equal amount of outs and ins....Then as we stabilised started to have to use 15 mile gaps (1 in 1 out).
Then as well as the IRVR equip going down (in near LVPs) we lost the glideslope and were close to losing the localiser.
Then just as we we thought we were getting it together we were informed that C taxiway( now our only link onto the runway) was breaking up!
All aircraft on and off the runway had to utilise a follow me vehicle to keep their tyres out of the pothole developing.
Given the situation I believe that everyone (ATC, OPS, Scottish ) did a magnificent job, such that despite delays nobody was required to divert.
This situation was enhanced by the relaxed and professional attitude of the pilots who recognised and understood the Tide we were facing.

alt sel
10th Nov 2000, 00:23
Here Here NDB Alpha

"There is nothing worse than sitting next to the pratt and possibly being tarred by the same brush when he queries clearances, pushes for what he considers are better clearances, tries to do the job for the controllers. Personally, I wish that he would crawl back into his hole, as he gives us all a bad name. "

One guy I regularly fly with is always getting me to use my voice for his stupid requests!! And I find this particularly annoying because my voice tends to stand out a bit!!! :)

(Maybe we ATC-friendly pilots should post a thread to this effect????)

Visual Approach
11th Nov 2000, 23:46
NDB

Appology accepted! Don't worry, If it's the person that I am thinking of, then yes we do ignore him.

It's sad, really, that some feel they must impose what little knowledge (for that's what is is now - little and out of date!) on the others around him.

Unfortunately a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing (ie. he can make it hard for all concerned, not just the controllers, but other pilots included). But I think we can recognise his voice and accept him for what he is.

Must have a small member or something, trying to make up for it with big words!

Davey Clark
16th Nov 2000, 13:21
I was in the Scottish Domestic Ops room at the time of the incident referred to at the top of this thread. The guys there were under SEVERE pressure due volume of traffic coming into the sector with nowhere to put it out! It ended up with three bods on a two-man sector (three pairs of eyes being better than two, etc,). The poor guy who took the c**p from the birdseed boy used a lot of his very valuable thinking-time to sort the situation out - just what he needed NOT! On the positive side, the third pair of eyes was the Watch Manager, who witnessed the entire event first-hand, and as such will be able to give splendid evidence to the appropriate body when the w****r is finally called to justify his behaviour.

Let's all keep this type of nonsense for the queue in the pub.