PDA

View Full Version : Costs involved in Importing a SEP a/c

Superpilot
6th Nov 2004, 08:43
Hi all,

Would appreciate some figures for importing an a/c, a.) from Europe and b.) from the States.

Let's say a typical PA-28-161. How much will the ferrying cost, how much in taxes, certificates, new British registration? etc etc...

Thanks

englishal
6th Nov 2004, 09:22
Well, I'll happily ferry it for free from America, if you pay all the costs / expenses :D

flyingfemme
6th Nov 2004, 14:55
Taxes - from within the EC; local VAT if the buyer requires it but no taxes if the aircraft is VAT-paid (bought from a private owner). From a country outside the EC - 17.5% on import....this inlcludes the US. C&E will add the cost of the ferry to the purchase price when calculating the VAT.

G registration - bank on £5k and you shouldn't have too bad a fright. Actual costs depend upon the condition and history of the individual aircraft. Get it properly inspected before you buy.

If ferrying from the US make sure you can get insurance for the trip before you pick a pilot.

Chilli Monster
6th Nov 2004, 16:43
C&E will add the cost of the ferry to the purchase price when calculating the VAT.

Robbing b:mad:s! By what right and how come?

LowNSlow
7th Nov 2004, 04:54
I suppose they will justify it by saying that is what it cost for the aircraft to be in the UK which then becomes the overall purchase price. I'm surprised that they don't add the cost of the flights to the US, the cost of the inspections etc etc etc

AS you said Robbing B:mad: s

flyingfemme
7th Nov 2004, 08:03
Robbing bs! By what right and how come?

Normal practice for anything imported. If you have something sent in by Fedex they will add in the shipping costs........

You will probably find that, if duty is required, they add duty to purchse and charge VAT on the total. Tax on tax!

Superpilot
7th Nov 2004, 08:32
Unless of course, you mark it as a GIFT :}

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to wait a year then...

BTW, if anyone is interested in doing a similar thing, please get in touch! Basically this time next year I hope to own something like a 1980 PA-28-161 based at a field in/around London.

Thanks

Gulf Julliet Papa
7th Nov 2004, 10:24
Why not drop in at White Waltham? We got an excellant PA-28 161 off them, at a good price, low engine hours, and in excellant condition.

Im not sure if they are selling any more but I know they have sold at least 2 of their Warrior IIs so it might be worth a try