PDA

View Full Version : Name a Yak!

CBG
5th Nov 2004, 17:48
I bought myself a new toy a couple of days ago - a Yak 18T.

If everything goes well, I should get it in early december.

Anyway, it's got a yellow and grey paint scheme.....and space for some nose art.

I have been thinking about naming the thing and getting one of these lovely 1940ies ladies painted on the nose, above or below the name.

These are some of the ideas I've had so far:

- Costly temptation
- Hard to justify
- Russian trouble
- In the mood

Please feel free to submit any ideas. If I pick one of the suggested ideas, I promise to send a bottle of champagne to whoever came up with it!

AerBabe
5th Nov 2004, 18:05
Russian Doll
Yak Attack

Not feeling particularly inspired today... But a long day at work tomorrow, so should have plenty more ideas! :E

Pilgrim101
5th Nov 2004, 18:28
Miss Stress ! :hmm:

CBG
5th Nov 2004, 18:29
That was quick - thanks AerBabe!

Yak Attack? not bad at all!

I like do "Miss Stress" too!

eharding
5th Nov 2004, 19:30
<russian accent>(slaps side of our Yak-52)"This is not a 'she'.....this is a 'he'</russian accent>

18T's are probably female though....:)

DB6
5th Nov 2004, 20:13
Boris the Yak :ok:

Sir George Cayley
5th Nov 2004, 20:15
How about

"Vydonya Bucherov"

then when people ask you wot its called you can tell 'em!

Sir George Cayley

eharding
5th Nov 2004, 20:30
.....or "Pysezonya Spymkan"

Just jealous. I'd love an '18T.

LowNSlow
6th Nov 2004, 05:49
How about Bolshoi Devoushka (Big Girl) or Kraseeva Devoushka (Beautiful Girl)?

Monocock
6th Nov 2004, 06:58
Just call it "English Roulette" !!!!

Slightly topical too bearing in mind Tony Bliars ambitions at the moment.:}

Genghis the Engineer
6th Nov 2004, 07:14
I had a interpreter when I was working in Russia who was slightly elderly, tough as old boots, but very charming and thoroughly competent. Not a bad description of Yak-18.

Her name was Marina Alexandrovna, so I suggest Marina, not a bad name and properly Russian.

(I was going to suggest Olga, but every girl I met there called Olga - and there were a few, was young, attractive, but not quite sure what they were doing - and I'm not sure that's the right label for a Yak!).

G

ShyTorque
6th Nov 2004, 07:47
Marina? I wouldn't! :(

In British Leyland speak, the Marina was rubbish with bodyrot. Shame though.

How about "Onya Backyabich"

Monocock
6th Nov 2004, 08:23
How about "Onya Backyabich"

Love it!!!:ok: :D

Flap40
6th Nov 2004, 15:02
Since it's a Yak, how about "Hughie" or "Ralph"

Just paint some diced carrot or tomato peel on the side ;)

Rushton
6th Nov 2004, 16:24
Brain not engaged today but -

"Yakety Yak"

coz wherever you go people will want to talk to you about it.

R

Zlin526
6th Nov 2004, 18:26
How about 'Kevin' ?:ok:

BEagle
6th Nov 2004, 21:14
May I suggest 'Lilya Litvyak' in honour of the WW2 female soviet fighter pilot who became famous as the 'White Rose of Stalingrad'. She was eventually shot down in her Yak-1 in 1943 in a battle which saw 8 Me-109s concentrating on her.

She was just 22 years old.

Her remains were only discovered in 1979; in 1990 Mikhail Gorbachev conferred the posthumous honour of Hero of the Soviet Union upon her.

So this would link gallantry, sacrifice, Yak history and perestroika in a fitting way - particularly if you were to paint her signature white lily on the aircraft as well as the words Геро́й Сове́тского Сою́за (Hero of the Soviet Union.....I think).

For more information, including the correct cyrillic spelling of her name, see
http://pratt.edu/~rsilva/litvyak.htm

LowNSlow
7th Nov 2004, 05:34
Beags if I could afford a YaK I'd follow your suggestion. Here (http://216.198.255.120/russianpart/ruslitvyak.html) is some more stuff on the White Rose of Stalingrad

yakker
7th Nov 2004, 09:41
Yakety Yak, Yak Attack, Russian Doll, already in use albeit in the USA and Australia.

Beags, what a great idea, now to persuade the rest of our group to change our 52 colours.

CBG
7th Nov 2004, 19:08
Woow! I went away for the week end, just came back and found all your replies: you guys have been busy since Friday.

Many thanks to all of you for the great suggestions. I really like the story behing 'Lilya Litvyak'. The Russian translations of Beautiful Girl and others are great too.

Keep them coming please. I may have to buy a few more aicrafts to use all this great stuff (I wish!)

Pianorak
8th Nov 2004, 17:54
Perhaps “Babochka” (Russian for butterfly) or “Firebird” after Stravinsky’s music score.

Hireandhire
9th Nov 2004, 12:15
I have always fancied the idea of

"Miss Everything"

if the opportunity ever arises......

big.al
9th Nov 2004, 13:12
The trouble with 'Yakety Yak' is that the next line of the song, I think, is "don't come back".....

Hardly fitting for an aeroplane, as it sounds rather terminal.....:ooh:

waldopepper42
9th Nov 2004, 13:53
Tsaika Moi

Literally translated "Little Rabbit" but used as a term of endearment for the ladies!

Rushton
9th Nov 2004, 16:41
Hi big.al

The lyrics actually say "Don't talk back" - appropriate if non-radio

:)

R

Miserlou
11th Nov 2004, 08:27
I remember John Blake did a series of Yak characatures on the Yak theme; I don't remember if was in the Tiger Club newsletter or Pilot magazine.

So, how about a naval paint scheme and call it Jolly Yak Tar?

djpil
11th Nov 2004, 08:47
John Blake's work was also published in Sport Aerobatics magazine.

big.al
11th Nov 2004, 11:07
Rushton - thanks for the correction!:D

BEagle
11th Nov 2004, 14:34
'Cuchka derganaya' = Crazy bitch..

One of the more polite Russian expressions I found on the Internet!

LowNSlow
12th Nov 2004, 04:20
How about "Muy Zhaanam" ? ie; My darling.

Or alternatively the word that every Russian speaking woman loves to hear.... Sookar. Roughly translated to Bitch, cow etc etc but much, much worse.........

Kolibear
12th Nov 2004, 10:49
"Graham" - because its greyanyellow

or

"Custard" - because its yellow and when she didn't start, you 'cussed hard' at her.