PDA

View Full Version : TMA base level

Cra5h
13th Aug 2000, 19:46
Hello evryone (yes again)! I was wondering if it is possible to descend IFR traffic below the TMA base level, and then does it become VFR cos it is outside controlled airspace? This is because I have been to Leeds/Bradford when they have given aircraft headings which will take them outside controlled airspace to bring them in for the vectors. Is this really allowed or should they keep traffic the whole tim during vectoring. Err think thats it for the moment, thanks to everyone who puts up with me! :)

------------------
Sorry If this seems a stupid question, I am only learning {VBG}

Bright-Ling
13th Aug 2000, 21:34
You can fly IFR outside CAS even without a radar service from ATC. (Quadrantals etc)

If you are outside CAS and require a radar service from ATC you should expect a RAS or limited RIS at the best.

Baby Blue
13th Aug 2000, 22:50
Bright-ling is absolutely right. IFR is permitted in all types of airspace. Some would say it's a little naughty of Leeds to vector outside the 'proctection' of the TMA but as long as they apply the appropriate air traffic service everything is OK.

TinPusher
15th Aug 2000, 13:26
In NZ it is not permitted to vector outside of controlled airspace without the agreement of the pilot.
If it is a regular occurrence then it suggests the airspace needs to be altered to provide protection to those IFR flights that are being vectored.