PDA

View Full Version : Advice please.

Baron Greenback
5th Sep 2001, 23:25
I'm a NATS ATCO with TWR and APP RAD ratings, neither of which I've ever used in anger, apart from the brief period of OJT. I am, however, valid, and wondering how I would best put these ratings to the purposes for which they were obtained.
Suggestions on a postcard, or below.

Many thanks :(

Chilli Monster
6th Sep 2001, 17:40
Am I missing something here? Do you hold a valid certificate of competence? If you do and you're not using the ratings then you fall foul of the 90 day rule - ergo you cannot be valid. If you don't hold a CofC how can you be valid?

Either way - speak to your management for a move, or vote with your feet. There's always the non-NATS world.

CM

[ 06 September 2001: Message edited by: Chilli Monster ]

Bright-Ling
6th Sep 2001, 19:48
CM - me thinks that this person may be an area type!

If so, I think it depends on the 5 yr rule. You must go to CATC and redo the licences in a refresher course.

That will of course cost money, and don't forget the SCRATCOH problem.

However, there are some who do it, at places such as Wycombe Air Park, and some fly on their ATPL's.

Tell us more, Baron!

B-L

Baron Greenback
6th Sep 2001, 22:59
I'm still within the 5 year rule, so my ratings could be used tomorrow (and still for a good couple of years hence)I'm fairly happy doing what I do, at least for a year or so more, but I really want to spend my days looking out of a window. ;)

Posting to another NATS unit probably the best answer, but I'd probably be fairly fussy where I go this time. Don't know how long I'd have to wait though.....
Non NATS unlikely to take me, as I'm as yet unproven in TWR or APP RAD. :confused:

[ 06 September 2001: Message edited by: Baron Greenback ]

Legs11
8th Sep 2001, 20:44
Baron, I think you'd be surprised by what interest may be out their. Your major problem is likely to be that without previous validations you are unlikely to get a salary anywhere close to your NATS one. If money isn;t the prime mover then start writing, there's a major shortage of APR out here. Try Serco, try the self-providers.
All the best.

boroatco
8th Sep 2001, 21:17
If you have TWR and APR not valid but another validation (Area-Aerodromes??????)
Take it your an ISZ inmate?? with a very circumspect was of writing on here (Be afraid of the B watch outing Crew). In all honesty you may find a bit of difficulty getting into a bigger Non state unit. But if your prepared to sit on a lowish salary for a while a smaller airport may take you (save them the cost of the APR course at the very least.
If it is ISZ you're at you will be waiting a long time to get into the tower thats a cert!!! But as a job its very enjoyable I know i got the T shirt!!!!