PDA

View Full Version : Really Worth it?

Cra5h
12th Aug 2000, 22:17
Hello, I am 16 years old and really love Air Traffic. I would like to pursue a career in it. I would like to know from all ATCO's if it is worth it. Also what is the real chance of me been able to become one. I could really do with knowing cos from 10 years old this is all i have been pushing for. So it could be useful to know if there is any chance, so that I can channel my efforts into something else. I do know a lot of people will come back saying, yes it is worth it go for it. But what sort of things do they ask you? Is there anybody who does the interviews that can tell me what it is all about and the likly things I could be asked. I have visited my local TWR of EGNM, and read books. And done online air traffic conrtol. But does any of this really count. Sorry to go on but I would like to know. Thanks a lot:

Me :-)

------------------
oops did i say descend i meant climb.

Goldfish Watcher
12th Aug 2000, 23:29
Well, depends on what you want.
If you like aircraft and all things aviation then it's really worth trying to pursue a tower career. Area control is very different and all you see is a load of 'blips'. But the job is still strangely rewarding when you can tidy up the mess that inevitably gets handed to you. The moneys quite good too and you get loads of time off.

The main thing is that you are enthusiastic, but I hope not obsessive! No point staring at some plane taxiing past when the ones in the air need separating.

You should try to visit some different towers and if your going to do 'work experience' try to arrange it at an air traffic control unit.

And remember that there are plenty of options. NATS is the main employer in this country and the only one who provides area control in the UK. However a lot of non BAA airfields provide their own ATC and send recruits to either NATS or SERCO for training. You can also be a controller in RAF and Navy (not sure about Army?).

You need to be over 18 before you can hold a student licence so you have a couple of years before you can apply to civil ATC.
There are also other jobs in ATC such as air traffic assistants (ATSA's). You could look into those.

If you really want to be a controller, learn as much as you can about what it involves. It's good work and although there can be a fair bit of pressure at times, don't let anyone tell you its stressfull - only when management are being a pain!

Any specific questions then post again.

Good luck
GW

Cra5h
12th Aug 2000, 23:47
Thanks a lot GW. Like you say there is no point staring at the aircraft when there is a job to be done. I think that a en route centre would be for me, although I think been an APP controller would be thrilling having to get all the radar vectors off to a tee. I have tried to visit other airports, i have tried EGBB but they said you need to be a student ATCO, but will try EGCC as well. What is the main difference between an assistant and a ATCO. Is it basically the assistant gets all the flight strips ready and is an extra pair of eyes on the scope? I appriciate the help all of you are giving to us 'wannabies'. One more question for the time been. How much choice have you got of been placed where you want, or is it all timing for when someone leaves? I know someone who left NATS to control at a concil owned Air Traffic because he couldn't get into Manchester for the next 10 years. Thanks a lot,

Me

P.S.Do you need to be a tranined ATCO to do things like clearance delivery because this is a 'simple' task of given a/c a sqw and the SID routing, getting a read back and then h/o to GND? Thanks again

------------------

Lew Ton
13th Aug 2000, 00:04
Cra5h

If you can make it to Luton I'd be more than happy to show you around. E-mail me.

Lew

[This message has been edited by Lew Ton (edited 12 August 2000).]

Cra5h
13th Aug 2000, 00:30
Thanks a lot Lew, sent you a e-mail.

------------------

Goldfish Watcher
14th Aug 2000, 20:52
Assistants do a multitude of jobs (sins?) in the ATC world. From putting out strips and amending flight plans in the computer system to planning levels for the radar controller in area control.

Higher grade assistants work in the Flight Information section in the area control ops room - speaking to a/c outside controlled airspace, passing traffic information, weather, navigation help, footy scores, lotter numbers etc.....

As to your question of postings. ATCO is a mobile grade and NATS can send you where they like (except Belfast). My whole course got posted to LATCC when several of us really wanted ScACC - guess the course number those of you in the know :-) !

Anyway, best of luck with everything
GW

[This message has been edited by Goldfish Watcher (edited 14 August 2000).]

cleared2land 27left
15th Aug 2000, 00:16
Course number hmmmmm. could be anything now from about 100 onwards.

windcheck 220@12
15th Aug 2000, 01:56
Hi i am in the same poistion as the person who started this topic off. i am 17 and live in ireland hopefully aiming for atc some day. I saw someone said there they done online traffic controlling can u tell me that web site please. and also becoming an atco assiant how do u do this.
Thank in advance

windcheck

Topcover
15th Aug 2000, 03:16
Windcheck,

In Ireland the Irish Aviation Authority runs the ATC service they tend to advertise for ATC cadets about every two years .

You should write to the
Human Resources Department,
I.A.A.,
Aviation House ,
Hawkins Street,
Dublin.

And find out when the next batch will be
advertised for.

Best of luck .

Cra5h
15th Aug 2000, 08:19
Hello the URL that you need for online controlling is
www.satco.org (http://www.satco.org)

Also for the UK part of it all go to
www.satuk.org.uk (http://www.satuk.org.uk)

We provide real time ATC for pilots using Flight Sim. It is very realistic and you have to sit exams before been able to do certain positions. Like you can not alk stright into LON_V_CTR.

Thanks a lot,

Me :)

------------------
Sorry If this seems a stupid question, I am only learning {VBG}

R Slicker
15th Aug 2000, 23:07
CRA5H. One other thing that many ATCOs are bad at, and you would do well to study, is the English language. Bad grammar and poor spelling will get you knocked out at the paper-sift stage - you won't even get an interview! At least learn how to use the spell-ckecker on your computer.

Cra5h
15th Aug 2000, 23:38
Not meaning to gloat or anything but i have been to private school since knee height and have jad grammer punshed into me and spelling from that age. BUT i am slightly Dyslexic so can allowences be made. And yes can use spell checker but make sure it is a English one :) colour color! Also forgot to mention that i do know my lefts an rights so that won't be a problem.

------------------
Sorry If this seems a stupid question, I am only learning {VBG}

[This message has been edited by Cra5h (edited 15 August 2000).]

windcheck 220@12
16th Aug 2000, 01:44
Thanks for info lads