PDA

View Full Version : Air Traffic Control Assistants/AFISOs

Adamant
11th Aug 2000, 13:46
Can anyone help? I'm considering what I might do job-wise for a year or two whilst self-studying for ATPL exams or as a lead-in to self-sponsored ATC training (lack of Class 1 Medical is holding me back from 'going for it' now, but I'm hopeful of getting the Medical in the future).

1. What Airports/Airfields employ:-

(a)Air Traffic Control Assistants
(b)AFISOs

2. What are the exact duties of each?

3. What is the likely salary range?

Thanks in advance.

SilentHandover
11th Aug 2000, 19:10
Your best bet is to try to become an ACPO at LATCC in West Drayton, the job basically involves playing the part of the pilot in air traffic simulations. It is about the only open door for people to access NATS, a large number of 'blippys' as they are affectionately known are pilots in waiting, i can think of at least 8 who have gone on to fly jets commercially for Aer Lingus, BM, KLMUK and ECS to name a few, it is great RT experience and a good enjoyable job, the pay is pretty good too, for the amount of work involved especially. I think there are vacancies arising soon so keep an eye out for ATSA jobs in the simultors being advertised in the Heathrow throw away paper or any West Drayton freebie papers, Mr Chips may well be worth a tap too as he trains them as they arrive at LATCC.

Mr Chips
11th Aug 2000, 19:36
May be some strictly short term jobs coming up real soon - send in your cv or email me

Chips

Adamant
11th Aug 2000, 20:59
SilentHandover and Mr Chips

Many thanks for your replies. I'll be e-mailing Mr Chips straightaway

SilentHandover
12th Aug 2000, 18:30
Strictly Short term probably means until NERC 'O' date i.e. Feb 30th 2010!!!!!!!!!