View Full Version : Tower Talk

PPIMan
8th Aug 2000, 19:28
There is now a similar discussion forum available on the web site of The Guild of Air Traffic Control Officers at http://www.gatco.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
Please use this facility if you wish, but not to the exclusion of this fine site.
(This message has been posted with the approval of PPrune).

Numpo-Nigit
8th Aug 2000, 23:02
Don't think you'll get much sense on the GATCO site - they're just the sad people who believe that
a) they have a high-flying career to look forward to, and
b) GATCO has any influence on events

HounslowHarry
9th Aug 2000, 16:02
Numpo-Nigit
Don't forget

C. Foreign travel at others expense is a great thing!

Things are looking up at GATCO though, a leaopard can change it's spots?

Packem Inn
12th Aug 2000, 23:20
...Yeah...what has GATCO ever done for any of us...apart from getting SRATCOH on the books ?

Take me back to the good old days of working split shifts and a 48hour week.....

Special VFR
13th Aug 2000, 00:16
Yes, it gives you a nice warm feeling knowing they all had a good time in 'Marrakech' recently! :)

TC_LTN
14th Aug 2000, 11:52
I went to IFATCA 2000 in Marrakech and worked very hard for IFATCA all week and in my own time. I agree it is very difficult to quantify what impact GATCO has nationally or internationally but it continues to be invited to participate in all kinds of forums and really needs it's members and others to contribute with CONSTRUCTIVE comment.

Mmmmmm
15th Aug 2000, 19:57
And our money!!!!!

2 six 4
16th Aug 2000, 02:24
Packem ... GATCO / SRATCOH ??? Give us another laugh. When the union were fighting hard and lobbying every politician and transport organisation in the country the GATCO prima donnas were telling everyone how well they were doing getting their IFATCA, freebie holiday, airline sponsored policy introduced - even if the vast majority of members were in the military and had no protection.

They gave evidence to the Commons Select Committee and sod all else.

Packem Inn
5th Sep 2000, 14:11
2 six 4.

GATCO had limitation of hours policy 15 years before SRATCOH. It was formed shortly after the limitation of Flying Hours legislation was brought in following the Bader Report. When CRATCOH was formed, GATCO alreday had an updated policy that was delivered straight to their door. I think you'll find it took IPMS a little longer to get their act together.

Take a look at the GATCO policy and the actual SRATCOH that was agreed.

Strange how similar they are ??

As an aside, despite the subjective opinion of controllers that formed the GATCO policy, the scientific evidence obtained by the CRATCOH substantiated those original opinions. So, regardless of whether we are communicating with pilots, our coleagues, Mgt or even on PPRUNE, not all controllers talk bo**ocks !!

not a scooby
30th Jan 2001, 20:05
Numpo-Nigit
I have no particular axe to grinde but as a matter of interest have you contributed anything to the betterment of atc in either the UK or for your fellow controllers abroad since you received your yellow peril or does your belief in santa still mean that you believe everything will turn out all right?

Numpo-Nigit
31st Jan 2001, 15:40
not a scooby

You really must take a speed-reading course!!! I posted in August, you first registered in September, and now you reply in January!!!!

In reply to your question, yes, I believe I have. However, this is supposed to be an anonymous forum, so I won't go into details of what I have and haven't done over the years, and I don't want too many people being CERTAIN of who I am!!!

Postman Pat
31st Jan 2001, 17:37
I am not sure that this is the right forum for having a go at GATCO. I assure everbody that when Guild delegates attend IFATCA Conferences they work extremely hard on behalf of controllers world wide, many of whom are far far worse off than us in the developed world. To say that the only thing achieved is SRATCOH shows a woeful lack of knowledge of the history of our profession.

Criticise by all means but do it on the Tower Talk Forum where those responsible can respond. An anonymous contribution such as mine and those preceding is cowardly, even if we do think we know who Numpo Nigit really is!!

As an aside, people might like to remember that GATCO membership is open to all controllers in the UK whether current or retired and benefits such as the travel scheme are available to all members.

PP

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Jan 2001, 20:59
What a wholly daft thread this is.. Those who don't like the Guild for whatever reason ought to shut up. Those of us who find the Guild to be useful are obviously contented - and I say that as a member of some 34 years standing.

Numpo-Nigit
31st Jan 2001, 21:32
I agree!! Let's let this pointless thread die. Mention of GATCO always brings out strong emotions - for and against. Many of my colleagues and friends are contented long-term members of GATCO, who work hard on its behalf. I respect that, but they must also accept my view of its relevance! The only reason that I added my most-recent comment was that somebody else resurrected the thread after nearly five dormant months with a direct question to me.