PDA

View Full Version : Radio Practical for PPL ?

redout
2nd Nov 2004, 16:01
Hey,

Just wondering if the CAA will issue your PPL if you have only done the Radio written test and not the practical test ?

thanx

G-ANDY
2nd Nov 2004, 16:28
I think you need to send the radio practical certificate off with your PPL application. Thus, i guess you need to take it!

G-ANDY

Whopity
2nd Nov 2004, 22:00
The PPL and FRTOL are two entirely seperate licences with seperate application forms. You do not have to apply for the radio licence with your PPL.

The drawback is that you will be very limited where you can fly as you will not be entitled to use the aircraft radio without a FRTOL; unless you carry a pasenger who has a FRTOL. If you took the communications written exam more than a year ago you will have to take it again as its validity is only 12 months for a stand alone FRTOL.

Evil J
3rd Nov 2004, 01:09
Whopity is quite correct.

As an RT examiner I know people tend to get quite worked about the practical but it really isn't that hard-if you know how to operate the radio correctly you will pass-simple as that. If you don't you will fail and quite rightly so.

The way the test is organised does intimidate people but it is essentially what PPL's do day in day out, get in an aeroplane at one point and fly to another. Yes there are extra bits in it (Mayday calls etc) but you know they are coming so have it prepared, and don't forget that the test runs at your pace so take your time.
If you want any more advice, or even want me to examine you (if you're nearby) then PM me.:ok: