PDA

View Full Version : UK ATPL help

Chilli Tarts
2nd Nov 2004, 07:32
I require information on JAR ATPL requirements. I currently reside in Australia (with an active Australian ATPL). Employed as a Metro Captain.

First question (more of a clarification really), for myself to obtain work within the airline industry in Europe or the UK i need to obtain a JAR ATPL . For this to occur i need to complete all the JAR theory subjects and complete a flight test? correct? What is the best way to complete the theory? Any good corespondence courses?

I have dual citizenship which enables work within the EU.

What would the prospects of employment be like with a JAR ATPL with the following details?

2200hrs TT
1300hrs Multi (1250 CMD)
600hrs CMD multi turbo prop (metro)
500hrs night
190hrs I/F (in flight)

Do you generaly need to obtain your own aircraft type rating with most carriers within UK and europe.

Thanks in advance

swh
2nd Nov 2004, 09:51
This topic has been covered many times..try looking under Wannabes Forums - Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies).

You dont have over 3000 hrs above 30t or 1500 hrs two crew (a bit more detail in this) so basically you would need to do everything, approved course of ground training, 14 exams, two flight tests, which includes at least 15 hrs of training in the UK. All up your look at 20k pounds, which should cover the flying, theory, and medical. The initial medical can only be done at LGW by the CAA.

You cannot get a new UK atpl these days, it will be a JAR licence.

:ok:

DeltaT
4th Nov 2004, 02:49
as you alrady hold a ICAO class 1 medical, you may be able to find a JAA doctor in auz who can issue the JAR one. I was able to do this in NZ and never needed to go to Gatwick for a JAA initial issue medical. However, the rules may have changed since I did that.

redsnail
4th Nov 2004, 12:53
Unfortunately the initial JAA medical will have to be done at Gatwick if you intend to do the UK JAR ATPL fun and games.
It isn't as expensive for someone with an ICAO CPL or ATPL.
(about one of the few concessions you'll get)

haughtney1
5th Nov 2004, 11:21
Everything is as reddy..and delta explained. I think without doubt you will find the JAR 14 ATPL exams the most challenging or onerous. Although having said that, I struggled a little with the airspace differences..and the R/T phraseology..being a country kid from NZ.

From a cost perspective......the flying is cheaper in the north of the UK rather than the south, with your experience it will pay you to find a school that fits your personality..rather than one that promises the earth. The good thing here is that most of the CPL and IR instructors I have had the pleasure to meet, tend to be ex airline..airforce and are thus very competant and experienced.

Be prepared to budget in the region of £20000

cheers

H
:ok: