PDA

View Full Version : Memory for information - Serial Position Effects

SmallPlanePilot
7th Aug 2000, 03:12
I wondered if any ATC people had come across research on Serial Position Effects in memory. Basically, if you give people a list of information, (abcdefg..), etc. then the information in the midlle (..cde..) tends to get forgotten, while the bits at the beginning and end are recalled.

The effect is called a Serial Position Effect, and it holds good for just about everyone.

Wondered if the effect has been talked about at all, and if people are aware of the effect it can have on critical information processing... ie, what happens if you give a piece of critical information 'sandwiched' inbetween bits of less critical information... it is more likely to get forgotten even though it may be more important information...

Just wondered if the effect is talked about at all.

Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by SmallPlanePilot (edited 06 August 2000).]

digbat
7th Aug 2000, 05:19
The effect you talk about was included in the UK ATC instructor courses run by NATS as background information when I did mine about 8 years ago. There was more basic pyschology included in the more advanced course on classroom instruction.

As a rule of thumb limit lists - or sub lists to 6 items and most people will find it easier to remember them - but in practice I'd recommend checking anything safety related and not relying on memory - hence the widespread use of checklists. Even if we feel we have good memories the human brain cannot be relied upon to correctly perceive the environment it is in or operate with perfect recall all the time - my advice is to avoid relying on memory if safety is an issue.

Cheers

digbat

Adamastor
8th Aug 2000, 06:51
Yeah it was brushed over as background for us too, although we knew it as "primacy and recency" i.e. you're most likely to remember the first and the most recent piece of info. Interesting point though - I'm sure someone has earned their Doctorate out of it somewhere! Cheers.

Packem Inn
12th Aug 2000, 23:24
It was always quoted that ATCOs needed 3 basic qualities:

1) a sense of humour
2) a remarkable memory and
3) er....er....