PDA

View Full Version : Live ATC Info in the UK

Mach 1
3rd Aug 2000, 18:08
I came across the following site:
www.flightpathuk.com (http://www.flightpathuk.com)

After viewing the presentation, it certainly looks like an interesting new venture, however the website contains little information on how, who, what and why.

I am particularly interested in whether this is wholly NATS funded, and whether the software will be public domain.

On another note - could there not be security implications of publishing such information on the WWW?

Finally, the site gives no idea of a launch date - any PPRuNers with further info?

Mach 1

[This message has been edited by Mach 1 (edited 03 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mach 1 (edited 03 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mach 1 (edited 06 August 2000).]

Dan Dare
3rd Aug 2000, 18:53
Couldn't open the URL, but would be interested to know more. Do tell!

Mach 1
3rd Aug 2000, 19:41
Have amended the URL.

Should work OK now - sorry!

Mach 1

ATCOMAN
4th Aug 2000, 13:14
I ran a demo of a program called 'Flight Explorer' for a while which showed radar reported tracks for mainly the USA (it was an american company) but also the UK. Military flights were suppressed. A collegue subscribed for a while but apparently the UK information was then removed - sounds like NATS want all the profits for themselves! The USA company said that it was used a lot by airports/car hire companies etc. You could customise it to show just what you were interested in - one particular flight, one airline atc. All in all it was a fascinating program (although a bit too much like being at work!)but it did require a continous internet connection.

Padders
6th Aug 2000, 15:33
Atcoman,

I actually subscribed to Flight Explorer..it was a great program UNTIL the UK flights were removed for some reason...I have no idea of the logic behind that.
The new NATS program is nowhere near as detailed as F/E was , nor does it update as much (from what I can see so far)
I have now unsubscribed from F/E , now the UK stuff has gone ..btw it was a tenner a month and could be accesed with a normal dialup connection

Cheers

Bill Padley
London

10W
6th Aug 2000, 16:37
Firstly, the UK data was removed from the US based system because NATS supplied that data to the FAA for operational purposes. The FAA then allowed a third party to access that data and charge for it, without NATS agreement, hence the removal.

Flightpath was demonstrated on the NATS stand at Farnborough, so I'll pass on what I gleaned from there and the brochure I picked up.

The system will allow users to access an air traffic picture derived from genuine NATS radar data, albeit with a time lag built in. Sensitive information will also be removed, eg. military flights known to the NATS system. Therefore users will be able to watch almost any flight anywhere within UK airspace.

A wide range of benefits are anticipated for both commercial and general interest users. Some identified so far include airlines, air cargo operators, baggage and handling companies, airport authorities, taxi and hotel firms, as well as aviation enthusiasts.

The system will run on a standard desktop PC, all that's required is an application download from the NATS server. A standard Internet connection, either dial up or dedicated, will enable the data to be retrieved.

Once online, users will be able to search for an individual aircraft, or for aircraft of a specific operator, or for all aircraft arriving or departing a specified airport. Aircraft subject to a search will be shown in a user specified colour, so they will be easy to pick out from all the other aircraft shown on the system. If a user wants to find out about a specific aircraft on the screen which is not subject to a search, they will be able to highlight the aircraft and a box will provide full flight details. In either case, the flight data available will be flight ID, airline, departure and arrival points, height and speed.

The system is planned for introduction in October/November 2000. No idea of costs, etc, though I suspect the more you pay the more will be available in functionality.

More information is available from [email protected]

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

POMPI
6th Aug 2000, 19:10
That's not a bad turn around time. I remember mentioning that this would be a good idea to Mike Parkes some years ago at the Maastricht ATC show.
I hope the filters are set up better than they were when the data was being sold on by the FAA. The words special tasks comes to mind and police air units. I also hope that the range is set up sensibly otherwise when Nervous Neris looks at the number of tracks with a 500 mile range set she will S**t herself !.
I'll probably be one of the first to subscribe - discount please Mike.

niteflite01
6th Aug 2000, 21:43
Sure looks good to me. A spotters paradise too :-)

Shame they couldn't have displayed the information as we see it (in nice little blocks next to the target) but I suppose it'll be easier to use for those with no ATC knowledge.

Also, I wonder.....if I come home and sit infront of it for a few hours - will I still get my overtime payments???!!!!!!! I'll pretend to talk too!

Jolly good idea though - hope it's not going to be very highly priced (As if NATS would!!!!!)

------------------

"Go around..I say again...go around"

POMPI
7th Aug 2000, 02:20
Why should it be highly priced ???. NATS gave it away for a couple of years !!!.
When NATS get the micro payments program plan sorted we can all be sad gits and watch what we can look at work for a 'small' fee.

Mach 1
8th Aug 2000, 16:28
I have today received further information from NATS, regarding the proposed new service.

It is expected to be available from the beginning of October, and will cost approximately 10UKP per month for 'enthusiasts', which implies there may be other charges for commercial usage.

Still looks an interesting venture - though I suspect the potential exists to send ATCO's round the bend if they were to subscribe!

UK DAN
9th Aug 2000, 20:31
:rolleyes: What is this- the start of NATS "growing the company" orsome other such bolox that our beloved bosses keep going on about. Lets hope they don@t have the cheek to charge NATS employees the monthly charge.
PS What do we all think of the " new dawn" garbage just put out. You'd think someone would proof read it before exposing it to an already p****d off workforce.

vertigo
11th Aug 2000, 02:40
nice file name - anyone got advice on how to advertise FPUK ?

IT'S AMAZING WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU BREATHE HELIUM

------------------

Packem Inn
12th Aug 2000, 23:15
Live radar data online ? At last..... the real alternative to NERC....and working from home, too. Should be fun.

And we only have to pay NATS 10UKP a month ?

It's a steal....! :rolleyes: