PDA

View Full Version : ATC & RFF Information

Gaucho
2nd Aug 2000, 16:05
I would like some information, preferably from ATC and Rescue and Fire Fighting personnel.
If I can describe a scenario:
"Pilot Incapacitation" (possibly the Captain of a B767/B757) during the later stages of the approach (i.e. inside the OM) on a low visibility approach, at a place like LGW. What would from ATC's and RFF's point of view be the best course of action? The problems for the other pilot (First Officer) are: difficulty to taxi the aircraft (no tiller on the right hand side), visibility maybe 75m or less (no precise idea of present position on the runway) and how to get assistance on board the aircraft a.s.a.p.
How long will it take for RFF (paramedics to get to a/c?, how long for the nearest hospital ambulance to arrive?, how are the RFF personnel going to get on board?
Any information is very much appreciated.
Thanks.
PS Any web sites or newsgroups I could visit where I could get extra information.

Special VFR
2nd Aug 2000, 23:12
If you're inside the OM and stablised then land it, stop on the runway, shutdown and get the door open. The RFFS will be there within 2 min, probably less, and like all good firemen, sorry, firefighters, will have ladders to get aboard. They'll find you, most big airports have ground radar.

Of course, what we do with the 30 that's behind you in the sequence is another matter. But it's the guy's life that matters.

I hope this never happens to you! :)

Bright-Ling
2nd Aug 2000, 23:31
Good answer SVFR!

The only thing I would ask is PLEASE try and get to the tiller and vacate the runway.

It would help TREMENDOUSLY!

Gaucho
3rd Aug 2000, 00:03
Special VFR, thanks very much. Those were my thoughts. But as Bright-Ling suggests it might be an idea perhaps to try to remove the pilot from the left hand seat and taxi out of the rwy. I guess only on the day that decision would have to be made. I hope I don't need to do it, but is one of the most common emerg's that we trained for.
Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Gaucho (edited 02 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gaucho (edited 02 August 2000).]

Special VFR
3rd Aug 2000, 00:17
Well, if you're on the flight deck only you can make the call but the time you take to get the guy out of the seat and then taxi off the runway is more time before the rescue services can get in and deal with the situation.

If you are in any doubt, stop. The 30 out on the approach are not worth a life.
[added later: sorry, didn't mean to be so flippant - in LVP we wouldn't have '30 out on the approach'. Everything has to be weighed up and OK blocking the rwy may cause other problems. What I am trying to get over is it depends on the seriousness of the situation. (Removes foot from mouth)]

I'd have had a tug and towbar waiting anyway!! :) :) :)

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Special VFR (edited 02 August 2000).]

Gaucho
3rd Aug 2000, 01:12
Brilliant!!
Thanks again.
Just, common sense. I think is a matter of being able to "see the trees from the woods".