PDA

View Full Version : Humour from the wind

cleared2land 27left
30th Oct 2000, 03:00
With 23 in use for some of today because of the wind we were asking for turbulence reports and windshear reports.

I had to laugh when after asking an aer lings did he get any WSR on the approach he replied

"Ah sure sir, it was a wee bit bumpy up der"

Made me laugh. Hope the pilots enjoyed 23s outing. I did :)

Gonzo
30th Oct 2000, 06:21
*******s!!!!

23 only ever is used when I'm on leave!!!

So, anyone in particular have an interesting time controlling it? ;) ;) ;)

Gonzo

Bright-Ling
30th Oct 2000, 12:12
Last evenings winds were horendous.

Pilots reported 2000' wind as 75 kts! Yukk.

Good to see that they all kept their sense of humour.

One aircraft, when told he was being vectored for the ILS got visual and requested a visual appraoch said "No sense in prolonging the agony!!"

Was the first time I heard a pilot say he would rather be an ATCO at that time!

[This message has been edited by Bright-Ling (edited 30 October 2000).]

Lew Ton
31st Oct 2000, 12:22
You should try sitting at the top of a 150ft tower on a thin stalk when the wind's blowing! Just like being on a boat, it's OK when you've got your sea-legs!! :) :) :)

Wouldn't fancy LHR's 300ft one! ;)

TinPusher
31st Oct 2000, 14:24
It sounds like Wellington NZ on a 'normal' day, certainly makes life interesting sequencing aircraft (slowed to min clean) making 320kts across the ground with acft on final making 90kts ground speed. A 20 mile final provides plenty of ILS time if nothing else! :)

cleared2land 27left
31st Oct 2000, 17:31
Yes LEW when (if) we get the 300' i will have to take sea sickness tablets before i go up there.

Gonzo sorry you missed it with being on leave, when do you join D? BTW look at the thread "Heathrow Closed" in Rumours and see my JAL tale. :)

NudgingSteel
5th Nov 2000, 04:08
You southeners!!!!!! Honestly.

Up here in the wild North, 75kts at 2,000' isn't that unusual (according to the aeroplanes with the appropriate kit). Fortunately it's usually lots less at the surface, although this has the not-so-pleasing effect of big shear below 800'......

I'll concede that you have lots more thunderstorms than us, however.

alt sel
7th Nov 2000, 01:56
Ahhhhh, Tin pusher, Wellington Tower - the tower in the suburbs..... :)

Normal proceedure - hold it on the ground for an extra 10kts - cos you never know what the wind will be above the hills!!!