PDA

View Full Version : Training advice for the older lady

class a
1st Aug 2000, 02:03
I am 38 years old and thinking of a change of career I have always thought of one day becoming an air traffic contoller.Is this possible at my age ? is sponsership avilable ? can I self finance it ? or am i just living in dream land ?

class a
1st Aug 2000, 10:06
thanks for the reply yes i am in the uk unfortuntly i have no ptrevious aviation experience. A friend said it might be possible to start as a air ground contoller to build some experience i live in the oxford area does anyone think this is a good idea and what airfields to try

class a
1st Aug 2000, 10:11
sorry about the spelling its to early in the morning

ATCO Two
1st Aug 2000, 20:59
Hi class a,

Why not aim slightly higher and consider being a FISO (A). (Flight Information Service Officer Aerodromes) Kidlington are Air Traffic Control on weekdays, but FISO at weekends. Why not begin your enquiries there? Speak to Alison the SATCO. For ATC you have to have passed an approved course nowadays (supplied by SERCo at Bailbrook College Bath, or NATS at College of ATC Bournemouth Airport). Depending on the ratings you aspire to, this could be very expensive without a sponsor (probably c£20K upwards) and no guarantee of a job. Feel free to e-mail me for any further information.

ojt...aye
6th Aug 2000, 04:44
hi there older lady ...good luck with it whatever happens ......but i did smile when i saw your profile listed your occupation as pilot ....although you say you have no previous aviation experience .heheh

Adamant
11th Aug 2000, 00:08
class a

Self-funded ATC training is certainly possible at your age - I have investigated getting into it and I'm the same age. It's by no means an easy process, but definitely possible. I'm stuck at the first hurdle - the Class 1 medical certificate which is just as tough as the Class 1 for pilots (there are minor, inconsequential differences as I understand it). My 'Career-Change-LIfe-Plan A' is flying and my
'Career-Change-Life-Plan B' is ATC so I'm pending at the moment!

I'm a weekend Radio Operator on an Air/Ground station and would thoroughly recommend it, but it isn't well paid - in fact, many Radio Operators are volunteers, doing it for the love of it. If you can't be an ATCO, the next level up from Air/Ground, as an AFISO, is a better prospect. I think someone has already suggested Air Traffic Control Assistant - another good one which can be an interesting and varied role depending upon the size of the Airfield/Airport (often the smaller the Airfield/Airport, the more varied the role).

Probably not much use to you because you want to be ATC, but details of Air/Ground and AFIS are available in the following CAA publications, available from pilot supplies shops:-

1. CAP 452: Aeronautical Radio Station Operator's Guide

2. CAP 410: Manual of Flight Information Services (Part A - General and Part B - Aerodromes)

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Adamant (edited 10 August 2000).]

class a
11th Aug 2000, 20:07
OH im sorry I really have no aviation experience at all. The username is a friends who is a pilot he suggested i ask my Question on here. Many thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question